Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Castlemartyr N 25 between Youghal and Middleton

CXd63rXWAAABKJ5.jpg

Brother of bride (wedding im going to today) lives in Castlemartyr and can't get out....he's meant to be driving the bridesmaids to the church....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

anyone with a drone / live cam over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Max gust 55kts 101kph at Dublin airport now.

Will that mean a quicker turnaround for planes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Graignamanagh, Co Kilkenny last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Defence forces deploying to thomastown in Kilkenny

https://www.facebook.com/emergencytimes/posts/10153862072454801

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/edwinagrace/status/681776665182269440

Kilkenny City's flood defenses holding up well so far.

leahyl wrote: »
    Brother of bride (wedding im going to today) lives in Castlemartyr and can't get out....he's meant to be driving the bridesmaids to the church....

What about the Rossmore road if going east or the Old Road going west? Mind you both of them could be flooded by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What about the Rossmore road if going east or the Old Road going west? Mind you both of them could be flooded by now.

Thanks, hopefully they'll manage to get out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sjb25 wrote: »
    Defence forces deploying to thomastown in Kilkenny

https://www.facebook.com/emergencytimes/posts/10153862072454801

Their was a resident on RTE radio a couple of ours ago, saying the Nore is a fast flowing river, he was worried the wall at the river that holds the river back was going to fail, and that his house was on a corner of the river and that his house would be washed away with the strong currents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Why oh why are people attempting to drive through flood water. Some of the stuff ive seen on FB and twatter is unreal. Pure stupidity.

Is it right if you drive through flood water and get stuck the Insurance wont pay out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Graignamanagh, Co Kilkenny last night

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

To be fair, more news coverage will not make things better. The rescue services and council services are fully aware of the flooding in the affected areas. News coverage will not mobilise any further services.

I agree but this is a fairly major event and there's very little coverage from the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

feel like we really want dodged a big big bullet last night in east galway
    for the first time in months we were in. the tiny "clear zone" on the radar bar for 5\6 hours when it made around 15 mm rain
    really feel very very sorry for the people affected down south
    it's been an utterly depressing run of weather
    what part of the country was the person who was looking forward to the deluge in again ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Will that mean a quicker turnaround for planes :)

It's very close to the structural limitations of doors, let alone the risk of the wind taking the door and a crew member with it.

Also highly dangerous to be trying to put mobile stairways on to the larger wide body types, due to the height.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

It really is shocking the lack of coverage this is getting.

Have to agree, Newstalk covered for about 10 minutes this morning, shabbily. Then had a pre recorded sporting item with Ivan Yates on for an hour. Pure lazy. RTE seem to be on extended holidays. I hope your local radio stations are serving ye better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I agree but this is a fairly major event and there's very little coverage from the media.

I know but my point still stands - it will not mobilise any further assistance.
    I imagine RTE are short staffed at present and if I am truthful, increased media coverage will really only benefit those of a 'ghoulish' disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/edwinagrace/status/681776665182269440

Kilkenny City's flood defenses holding up well so far.

That tweet was from yesterday. Levels are higher today.

But not in Mallow!

CXeI7TcWkAAfyIZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Have to agree, Newstalk covered for about 10 minutes this morning, shabbily. Then had a pre recorded sporting item with Ivan Yates on for an hour. Pure lazy. RTE seem to be on extended holidays. I hope your local radio stations are serving ye better.

Lack of coverage is just accelerating the move towards the internet as a source of news here. People will vote with their smartphones, laptops and tablets and just not bother tuning in to broadcast media anymore if they don't get their finger out on these kinds of events.

Technical analysis is now happening right here on boards.ie and real human impact stories are feeding in via Twitter / Facebook.

In fairness to RTE's Teresa Mannion a few weeks ago, what she was doing serious Public Service Broadcasting and something RTE needs to do more of!

I know it was extreme looking, but so was the weather and people needed to get the message that swimming in the sea and climbing mountains and so on is actually putting rescue services lives at risk. She communicated what was actually happening, and very effectively.

Waterford is starting to ease down now I think, its been a good 10 minutes since the awnings creaked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ferries are having a bad day. Rosslare Pembroke/Fishguard routes are cancelled until this evening, and of the 3 ferries on the Irish Ferries service from Dublin to Holyhead, only the Ulysses is operating this morning, and it's running 3 hours late, the 0800 sailing only departed Dublin a few minutes ago. One of Stena's ferries seems to be in a holding pattern off the Welsh coast, which can't be any fun at all. We've family on Ulysses, I am very glad I'm not with them on that crossing.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

But not in Mallow!

CXeI7TcWkAAfyIZ.jpg

There has been far more media coverage with video footage from around south of Ireland in the last 15 hours from Sky News, than from *our "National Broadcaster"*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

The only thing that media coverage will do is keep the rubber neckers happy..
    having it plastered over the news wont make the problem go away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Definitely need for 2 threads per storm. One for technical discussion and another for bitchting/moaning about RTE, Dublin vs The Rest, etc. This thread is unreadable

Sun is out win Waterford! :D

The only thing that media coverage will do is keep the rubber neckers happy..
    having it plastered over the news wont make the problem go away

No, but it informs people of what's going on, where's safe, where isn't and what to avoid.

It also puts political pressure on to ensure that resources are put in place to reduce the risk of flooding in future and also to ensure funds are invested into the various services needed to deal with this kind of mess.

Part of the role of a public broadcaster is to "educate and inform" and when it comes to weather events, that's something that they should all be doing both with accurate and up-to-date meteorological information, explanations of what is actually happening from a scientific point of view in an understandable way and all the information people need to know about what's happening on the ground.

This is supposedly why we are all paying €160 / year for the service.

Anyway, yeah, I agree two threads probably are needed - pure meteorological discussion vs everything else. It's still very much weather related though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Lots of elderly people who are not social media savy,my own parents havent a clue whats going on down south,disgraceful coverage given the size of the country.

Rte coverage or lack of it wont make the situation any better,but thats not the point,their remit as a national news service is to inform the population of whats taking place.

Lots of elderly people who are not social media savy,my own parents havent a clue whats going on...

I agree, I got about 90% of my information online, including all of the safety centric stuff flowing from the local authorities and ESB Networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I know but my point still stands - it will not mobilise any further assistance.
    I imagine RTE are short staffed at present and if I am truthful, increased media coverage will really only benefit those of a 'ghoulish' disposition.

Totally disagree, there are a lot of older people, people driving and people in poor broadband areas who can rely on Twitter, Facebook and boards for information. By your reckoning all of us on here must be "ghoulish". RTE are not short staffed and are a public service broadcaster, funded by the taxpayer.

• Advertisement

Totally disagree, there are a lot of older people, people driving and people in poor broadband areas who can rely on Twitter, Facebook and boards for information. By your reckoning all of us on here must be "ghoulish". RTE are not short staffed and are a public service broadcaster, funded by the taxpayer.

Not to mention that they've access to Met Éireann and a network of correspondents, most of whom actually seem to be getting the word out on Twitter rather than on air which just shows they've a vast and untapped resource of excellent local news journalists all over the country, they've just no programming on air to take feeds from them!

However, I fear we'll be getting OT slaps soon. So, maybe someone could create a thread around Weather Communication and Storm preparedness?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement