Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

That picture from Mallow is unreal. The traffic lights still seem to be working though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

But not in Mallow!

CXeI7TcWkAAfyIZ.jpg

Is this the park in mallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

Some serious flooding in Inistioge, Co Kilkenny within the last few hours, the flood waters have met the tide waters.
    Will throw up some pics in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ha. Where's yer man who was saying this was a non event.?!

We had a lovely clearing in the weather for a while in dingle. Went out to look at sea. Massive swell and huge waves. Weather has closed in again now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's probably significant that the number of people in this forum alone is close to the sorts of numbers that are normally only seen when people are lamp post watching in case it snows.

With the volume of posts that are being made, it would need full time moderation to keep threads "clean", and that would lead to a lot of confusion and bigger problems with people not being able to find posts they'd made earlier, or replying to a post that's been moved to another thread, and the good thing is that in a lot of cases, there's one location where the information is flowing, and available. and clearly people ARE finding the information.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Lashing again in Athlone winds howling Shannon looks savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

To be fair, the thread isn't that confusing and is mostly relevant to a particular time frame (maybe last 3h or so) anyway as it's a live storm. So it's not that hard to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

High tide and Enniscorthy is a mess,cars submerged and premises inundated,the water rose 6 inches in the time I was down by the river.Train station is flooded,water is to the top of the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Windsat winds at 07:28 this morning

373117.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is this the park in mallow?

Yes it's a flood plain from the blackwater. The flood defence works are keeping properties from flooding though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

GFS showing a lull in with the wind in the next 2/3 hours... hard to believe as it's still blowing 50mph here in Wicklow.

ukwind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

fits wrote: »
    Ha. Where's yer man who was saying this was a non event.?!

We had a lovely clearing in the weather for a while in dingle. Went out to look at sea. Massive swell and huge waves. Weather has closed in again now.

Few webcams

Hook head
    http://hookheritage.ie/index.php/webcams/

Lahinch
    http://oceanscene.ie/lahinch-webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny. These pics are from a half hour ago. Water has risen since.

C0RYAq8.jpg

pEV9Qh8.jpg

QAPLz0m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The only thing that media coverage will do is keep the rubber neckers happy..
    having it plastered over the news wont make the problem go away

Of course it won't make the problem go away. If we were to apply that logic to all news then very little news world be reported at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

There was around an hour of reasonably windy weather this morning in West Limerick.

The forecasts from boards posters and Met Eireann for this event for my area were accurate. The updates on this mornings weather were much appreciated so a big thank you to those who posted charts and interpreted them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Some more detailed media coverage of the mind numbing human misery of flooding, rather than a 30 second sound bite that doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems might mean that the wider issue of flood prevention is moved up the agenda for our political leadership, who seem to be somewhat lacking in awareness of the massive levels of pain that are being inflicted on thousands of people. It's only when they keep hearing the same things on a regular basis on a lot of doorsteps that they will start paying more than lip service to the problems, and with the numbers now permanently affected by these events, there has to be change in a lot of ways to mitigate the problems in the future.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Have to agree, Newstalk covered for about 10 minutes this morning, shabbily. Then had a pre recorded sporting item with Ivan Yates on for an hour. Pure lazy. RTE seem to be on extended holidays. I hope your local radio stations are serving ye better.

Yeah ....agreed ....they are all on extended Christmas holidays with recorded rubbish being aired all day (apart from Pat Kenny today I think ?).

More to the point where is Enda , Simon Harris et al??? tucked up in warm cosy houses .....or maybe in Barbados for 2 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tactical wrote: »
    G'morning all :)

Just as I'm catching up on the nights events since I signed off, someone has turned on the wind and rain. Some hefty gusts and driving rain here in West Limerick.

Off to investigate some noises now.

G'morning Grace, glad all is ok there with you and interesting to hear the updates. The Kerry CoCo communications have been probably the best I have seen in relation to getting information out to people.

Morning Tactical... well the wind dropped here , sun came out and the temperature dropped too.. Now there are dark inky clouds sweeping in from the west , no more sun and I can guarantee that these will drop snow soon, knowing the way it goes here....fire lit so all is well and enough coal in for the day.Cat is out of hiding so Frank has departed. Kerry coc o is awesome. Love the map! I had never been near twitter before and it saved me from trying to get to Tralee . for a Christmas market in Desmond ( storm names are handy! Rather than the gale on such and such a date..) Ah I hear precipitation on the window..

xband wrote: »
    Well local Dublin broadcaster, RTE, is mostly on holidays and their extension leads rarely reach much beyond the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway anyway, so not much of a hope there. TodayFM/Newstalk really don't have the reporting resources.

TV3 and UTV Ireland are likely to make more of an effort (with far fewer resources) to give national coverage.

Not to throw the thread off topic, but I do think that there's a major requirement for RTE to behave as a public service broadcaster during what is basically a national weather emergency. There is a lot of information to get out and almost all of it is coming through social media, some of the online news sites and also local commercial radio.

It really wouldn't be overkill for RTE to do a flood-watch bulletin every 60 mins on radio taking updates from their own correspondents (who actually seem to be active on Twitter in many cases but aren't getting the opportunity to go on air...), Met Eireann, the local authorities, emergency services, ESB Networks and monitoring what's coming in via social media.

I got more information on Twitter, boards.ie and Facebook (really great Cork floods group) than I got through the national broadcaster that I'm paying to fund!

I'd just like to congratulate people on this forum, those tweeting and posting to various Facebook groups. You're doing a genuine public service!

We help each other and ourselves; for me that is what social networking is about. I do not use facebook or twitter but learn from them greatly at these times. With no radio or TV this is perfect and better by far. NB At my advanced age I get a free tv licence anyway but have never used it.I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some videos of Enniscorthy here:

https://www.facebook.com/LizWildesPhotos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Asmooh wrote: »
    good point, haha i ment with the wind :)

Today? Exactly the same ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Yes it's a flood plain from the blackwater. The flood defence works are keeping properties from flooding though.

That's good, so the town itself is unaffected?

RobertKK wrote: »
    The second feature of the storm or the son of Frank, has been the strongest storm since Darwin for me.
    My anemometer is at ~12 feet height.
    Sustained winds reached 53.4km/hr
    Highest gust 95km/hr
    Rainfall so far 20.8mm
    Pressure 987.98mb falling slowly
    Temperature 7.3C

Sustained winds down to 39.4km/hr so the worst seems to be over.

I said that too! Just from the sheer noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Some more detailed media coverage of the mind numbing human misery of flooding, rather than a 30 second sound bite that doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems might mean that the wider issue of flood prevention is moved up the agenda for our political leadership, who seem to be somewhat lacking in awareness of the massive levels of pain that are being inflicted on thousands of people. It's only when they keep hearing the same things on a regular basis on a lot of doorsteps that they will start paying more than lip service to the problems, and with the numbers now permanently affected by these events, there has to be change in a lot of ways to mitigate the problems in the future.

Mod Note

A good point and very well made Irish Steve. I think that a separate thread devoted highlighting & discussing media coverage of and local authorities responses to major weather events is a good idea.

Just a reminder also to keep posts on topic and civil please. Let's keep this thread for discussing Storm Frank and its aftermath thanks to all who contributed to this fantastic thread.
    Current conditions reports and winter weather chat should go in the General Winter Thread.

Thanks Guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

That's good, so the town itself is unaffected?

Properties are fine in the town. Traffic chaos though

f
    snaps wrote: »
    Why oh why are people attempting to drive through flood water. Some of the stuff ive seen on FB and twatter is unreal. Pure stupidity.

Is it right if you drive through flood water and get stuck the Insurance wont pay out?

They have buried the father of six in Offaly who died like that. We need to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Today? Exactly the same ;)

tomorrow morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Just drove through Cork City Centre - Lee is quite low, but flowing rapidly and there's no evidence of any major damage.
    Birds tweeting and the sun is out!
    Fingers crossed it says that way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement