Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Courtesy of Del Monte in the Wexford forum.

The%2BShannon%2BQuay.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Force 10/11 gusts now on Dublin Bay, the spray being churned up is remarkable.

The Stena superferry arriving from Holyhead just aborted its approach to the harbour channel and heeled into the wind and ran for the shallows off Dun Laoghaire where other ships are anchored. I have literally never seen one of those modern ferries fail to negotiate the channel before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Can I ask if anyone can point me towards a home weather kit that I could use to contribute to threads like this?
    You've all been fantastic on here and thank you for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dublin getting off very lightly. Just windy here. Went out for a run. Liffey is high coming into lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Totally disagree, there are a lot of older people, people driving and people in poor broadband areas who can rely on Twitter, Facebook and boards for information. By your reckoning all of us on here must be "ghoulish". RTE are not short staffed and are a public service broadcaster, funded by the taxpayer.

I am well over 70 years old and no TV or radio by choice. They send me a free TV licence every year but I prefer news when I want it not at set times, and the range of info here online is wonderful. I have digiweb; it was the only option for broadband here and it will work anywhere. And i get my phone calls through the internet with an IP phone. Far better and cheaper than eircom or vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

smokingman wrote: »
    Can I ask if anyone can point me towards a home weather kit that I could use to contribute to threads like this?

Maplin have some good starter stations on offer at the moment and there's a dedicated thread here with lots of advice & help.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106322

zerks wrote: »
    Courtesy of Del Monte in the Wexford forum.

The%2BShannon%2BQuay.JPG

Enniscorthy gets a rough time. Maybe it's time to build a wall around the slaney there at the town.

I take it the back road from Gorey to wexford is flooded also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

More to the point where is Enda , Simon Harris et al??? tucked up in warm cosy houses .....or maybe in Barbados for 2 weeks ?

What do you think they should be doing ? Filling sandbags perhaps !

Definitely need for 2 threads per storm. One for technical discussion and another for bitchting/moaning about RTE, Dublin vs The Rest, etc. This thread is unreadable

Easy enough to scroll down past the posts you are not interested in..I do it all the time . .. and you just added to the "bitching and moaning."!

xband wrote: »
    Lack of coverage is just accelerating the move towards the internet as a source of news here. People will vote with their smartphones, laptops and tablets and just not bother tuning in to broadcast media anymore if they don't get their finger out on these kinds of events.

Technical analysis is now happening right here on boards.ie and real human impact stories are feeding in via Twitter / Facebook.

In fairness to RTE's Teresa Mannion a few weeks ago, what she was doing serious Public Service Broadcasting and something RTE needs to do more of!

I know it was extreme looking, but so was the weather and people needed to get the message that swimming in the sea and climbing mountains and so on is actually putting rescue services lives at risk. She communicated what was actually happening, and very effectively.

Thinking of the 20 members of Kerry Mountain rescue who turned out at 2.30 pm yesterday to a lone climber who had broken his leg on Carrantouil... in terrible conditions. It was well forecast so he has no defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

smokingman wrote: »

Well, I have a Davis Vantage Vue model. Not the cheapest on the market, but very reliable, accurate and it gives a great amount of information.

Read here:

http://www.scientificsales.com/searchresults.asp?cat=34&Click=22295&gclid=Cj0KEQiAno60BRDt89rAh7qt-4wBEiQASes2tXqFECQhDLLye3LkqoWXjb-PA9sqAOyOmqz9va9IooIaAtRa8P8HAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Evacuation ordered in parts of south Kilkenny along the shores of the Nore and Barrow

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Wind very strong here Dublin. At RDS at mo and Circus for 1pm canceled at last min cause wind has picked up so bad. All outdoor stuff off till after 3pm next weather check. The queue to get in main building is mental now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

snubbleste wrote: »
    Standing around in wellies, looking deeply concerned and fiddling with the earpiece in the ear.

919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gust 57 knots at Dublin now. No planes landing or taking off. Big delays for anyone flying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Army called to assist in Enniscorthy. Fairly serious situation there.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Standing around in wellies, looking deeply concerned and fiddling with the earpiece in the ear.

The flooding is nothing to do with the government. Its to do with local councils , planning depts and people building in stupid areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

Water still rising in inistioge, Co. Kilkenny. We've been told to expect another 2 or 3 foot by evening. low tide is in 2 and a half hours and it is still rising.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Army called to assist in Enniscorthy. Fairly serious situation there.

Thank God for that.. feel so helpless here. Maybe it will inspire more strong young ones to volunteer for Civil Defence? Any takers? So much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

JJJJNR wrote: »
    919.jpg

How do I get some attention out of this I know stand in the middle of it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thinking of the 20 members of Kerry Mountain rescue who turned out at 2.30 pm yesterday to a lone climber who had broken his leg on Carrantouil... in terrible conditions. It was well forecast so he has no defence.

i thought it was a party of 4 he was with but it was madness none the less to go up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy gets a rough time. Maybe it's time to build a wall around the slaney there at the town.

I take it the back road from Gorey to wexford is flooded also.

I think so,traffic from Wexford to Dublin diverted via New Ross.

Flood defense works to start in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

41 gust 58 knots at Casement and 57 at Dublin.

PsMETAR BALD 301300Z 23041G58KT 9999 FEW020 BKN023 08/04 0991 MSL=
    PsMETAR DUBL 301300Z 22036G57KT 9999 FEW012 SCT030 BKN200 08/03 0991 MSL=

The 2-minute mean speed reported by Dublin ATC was 43 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And after all the rain it's blue skies and sunshine in Castlebar, at last. Small bit of respite for a short time no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Getting back to the weather...
    Athy has blue skies and very little wind after a very windy morning...
    On the motorway to Kilkenny now and really wish I didn't have to.
    Is the son of Frank on its way inland or is it still predicted to skirt the edges of the south west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Apparently storm Frank warmed up the North Pole.

https://twitter.com/simonoking/status/682116054701748224

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Judging from Kerry Mountain Rescue FB page he was with 3 other people, I think it was the group my mother saw yesterday morning in the Bridia Valley, she asked if they had heard the weather forecast, they said yes but yet they still went ahead and climbed the mountain. Madness.

irishgeo wrote: »
    i thought it was a party of 4 he was with but it was madness none the less to go up anyway.
    Initial reports said a lone climber but radio kerry have updated this with a warning and a plea Thanks http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-mountain-rescue-urge-people-to-take-heed-of-weather-warnings-following-incident/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

[/B]
    Easy enough to scroll down past the posts you are not interested in..I do it all the time . .. and you just added to the "bitching and moaning."!

I think there should be a more Stalinistic approach to this forum.

373124.png

Now ye're not talkin'... :P

New Moon

• Advertisement

Toxica wrote: »
    Judging from Kerry Mountain Rescue FB page he was with 3 other people, I think it was the group my mother saw yesterday morning in the Bridia Valley, she asked if they had heard the weather forecast, they said yes but yet they still went ahead and climbed the mountain. Madness.

Just corrected that with the latest update; thanks. Good for your mother; at least she tried. I tried the same on the way back from Killarney with the young tourist couple who were going to walk in poor clothing for the weather. They had no idea of the forecast. Looked stunned!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement