Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

xband wrote: »
    Just drove through Cork City Centre - Lee is quite low, but flowing rapidly and there's no evidence of any major damage.
    Birds tweeting and the sun is out!
    Fingers crossed it says that way!

Hope it stays that way! Had my car parked on the North Mall all last night and was quite worried about the place getting flooded. Luckily it rarely gets flooded even-though it's right beside the Lee. Still could happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1PlJQBkaMoyxE

The water level is four inches from the top of the flood defenses in Kilkenny city, you can see the pipes in the river in the video which are to catch debris in the river to stop it slamming into the bridges down stream.
    The flood defenses are getting a proper test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Flood level is still rising in enniscorthy. This looks to be the highest flood ever.
    The whole of the supervalue carpark looks to be flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Graces7 wrote: »
    Initial reports said a lone climber but radio kerry have updated this with a warning and a plea Thanks http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-mountain-rescue-urge-people-to-take-heed-of-weather-warnings-following-incident/

I think people who ignore weather warnings should be charged for the use of the rescue services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sudden shift in wind direction from 280 to 350 at Gurteen at 12:30.

AAXX 30131 03966 47584 /2506 10059 20029 39867 49959 53108 7238/ 81///
    333 81/25 91118 91312 90405 91306 91528 90405 91535=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Toxica wrote: »
    I think people who ignore weather warnings should be charged for the use of the rescue services.

I'd like the Mountain rescue to take a desperate call and say, "sorry didn't you see the forecast we're not risking our lives to save yours" and put the phone down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Toxica wrote: »

Half the arseholes who need rescuing are idiots who buy walking gear or mountain biking gear or and inflatable boat from lidl and think they are walkers or sea farer's etc etc etc ..Should be at least a grand fine for been a idiot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Flood defences in Clonmel nearly breached.

https://twitter.com/beat102103/status/682153231850536960

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Flood level is still rising in enniscorthy. This looks to be the highest flood ever.
    The whole of the supervalue carpark looks to be flooding.

1965 is the record.Heading towards that now with a lot of water still to come down from Wicklow/Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think there should be a more Stalinistic approach to this forum.

373124.png

Now ye're not talkin'... :P

Funny! I think though there may well be a male /female divide here as well as a rural /urban one. Men seem to be able to focus "purely" on eg charts and statistics etc, to compartmentalise, whereas we tend more to be carers and think of other aspects? How many of those who put the charts on are men and how many women? And I think on a board like this there is room for all. Some here will maybe be scared or overwhelmed and the banter releases that. I cannot make head or tail of the charts, except I would love to make embroideries or knitteds from some, but love to hear of the way people react to the weather. This becomes a bone of contention every winter; I remember it from 2010 snow when some of us were fighting terrible conditions while others were enthusing over every snowflake. ... one boardsie on the donegal forum actually came to bring me fuel when none of my neighbours would do so. Anyways, that is my little thought on this! I am happy to scroll past all the charts and read the real news! Can we not all do the same?

• Advertisement

I'd like the Mountain rescue to take a desperate call and say, "sorry didn't you see the forecast we're not risking our lives to save yours" and put the phone down.

No . that would be against all humanity and ethics. If we all had to pay for our errors with our lives? But yes they should be charged for the rescue if they did what that group did. Absolutely.

The amount of eejits on Facebook here asking "how can I get to Wexford,is town (Enniscorthy) bad? etc. These are probably at home in their pj's and thinking of heading to Penneys.

Rang the mother and she has an amazing view of the Slaney Valley,it's like a lake now.I may go around half the country to get to her house at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

River levels still rising in Enniscorthy according to this...

https://twitter.com/beat102103/status/682191488479014912

smokingman wrote: »
    Getting back to the weather...
    Athy has blue skies and very little wind after a very windy morning...
    On the motorway to Kilkenny now and really wish I didn't have to.
    Is the son of Frank on its way inland or is it still predicted to skirt the edges of the south west?

Son of Frank! Well, Frank-incensed is the season.. OK .. I will get my coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I think a large event thread will have an organic life of its own.....

The technical people who are into weather charts and weather terminology (and who do a great service) will start a thread perhaps 5 or 6 days prior to the event. Various charts will be posted up with various projections of where the depression could go etc.

However as the storm / weather event progresses... and major flooding / possible loss of life / serious loss of property occurs it is inevitable that posters start posting about experiences / opinions / observations as the event unfolds.

To be honest.... this thread is almost complete.... from a technical point... because Storm Frank is almost past ....

The after shocks... high tides, saturated ground... run off ... backing up ...serious flooding etc etc... are being felt and of course will be commented upon ... because they affect real people in real life.

Requesting the thread stay technical.... is very hard. Technical commentators can dominate a thread at the start... as the storm approaches... but other commentators can't. However as the country turns into a submarine... normal commentators tend to dominate the thread... but technical posters may find their domination receding...but can still chip in with charts graphs facts figures archive data etc.

I was in Inistoige at the end of November... and the Nore was in strong flow then.... great to see the photos (taken by people who wish to share). Sorry to see so much property damage.

HighLine wrote: »
    River levels still rising in Enniscorthy according to this...

https://twitter.com/beat102103/status/682191488479014912

This was earlier in the same place,you can see the difference.

https://twitter.com/tweather_flash/status/682117769232543744

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Graces7 wrote: »
    Funny! I think though there may well be a male /female divide here as well as a rural /urban one. Men seem to be able to focus "purely" on eg charts and statistics etc, to compartmentalise, whereas we tend more to be carers and think of other aspects? How many of those who put the charts on are men and how many women? And I think on a board like this there is room for all. Some here will maybe be scared or overwhelmed and the banter releases that. I cannot make head or tail of the charts, except I would love to make embroideries or knitteds from some, but love to hear of the way people react to the weather. This becomes a bone of contention every winter; I remember it from 2010 snow when some of us were fighting terrible conditions while others were enthusing over every snowflake. ... one boardsie on the donegal forum actually came to bring me fuel when none of my neighbours would do so. Anyways, that is my little thought on this! I am happy to scroll past all the charts and read the real news! Can we not all do the same?

Some worthy points Grace7

What I try to keep in mind is that though this particular forum functions on the contributions of relatively small group of enthusiasts, 99.99% of people, both on this forum and outside in the real world, have no particular interest in the weather, except when it directly affects them, so they contribute in other ways such as giving on the spot reports, or even asking what some may view as silly questions etc. But I do think the main purpose of this very forum, is to get people engage with various threads and various topics in any way they can. A thread like this one is good; it informs a lot of people of what is going on and can help them make so on the spot decisions to prepare for what is to come and all that. And of course, as you say, it is about the banter also which give people an opportunity to engage with others on a specific topic or even just to get something off their chest. Surely, when all is said and done, the main thing is about sharing info with others, exchanging reports and generally enjoying the experience, which in your case, did actually get some people to help you in a time of need! This is what this should be about.

New Moon

From Kilkenny county council:

A Multi Agency response

A Multi Agency response is now in place. Kilkenny County Council including its Fire Service is supported by An Garda Siochana the Army, Civil Defence.

Road Closures

The R700 from New Ross to Kilkenny City has been closed. Alternative route is the M9 via the N25. The advice of Chief Superintendent of An Garda Siochana, Dominic Hayes is to avoid Inistioge, Thomastown and Bennettsbridge.

Properties to be Vacated

Occupiers of properties in low lying areas of Bennettsbridge, Thomastown, Inistioge, and Graiguenamanagh are being advised to vacate their properties immediately and to stay with friends and family until the floods recede. Council, Army and Garda personnel will be on the ground in these areas throughout the day to advise and to assist people in vacating their properties.

Sandbags

Sandbags are available in Thomastown at the Fire Station, in Bennettsbridge in the car park opposite the Church and at the Council’s yard in Gaol Road, Kilkenny and will be made available in Inistioge as soon as possible.

Ongoing presence

Council staff including Fire Services personell who were out last night will be out again today in the flooded areas. They will be joined by up to 100 Army personnel and members of An Garda Siochana.

Safety Message

The public are being asked to stay away from the flooded areas. Not to drive or walk through floods. To obey the warning signs that have been put in place and obey any instructions of Council personnel and An Garda Siochana and not to make any unnecessary journeys. Should a journey be necessary the public are being asked to use the main roads and to slow down as there is spot flooding all over the county.

Helplines

Dedicated helplines have been set up.

If any person requires assistance they should contact the following numbers:

056 779 4466 or 056 779 4463.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

RobertKK wrote: »
    From Kilkenny county council:

A Multi Agency response

A Multi Agency response is now in place. Kilkenny County Council including its Fire Service is supported by An Garda Siochana the Army, Civil Defence.

Road Closures

The R700 from New Ross to Kilkenny City has been closed. Alternative route is the M9 via the N25. The advice of Chief Superintendent of An Garda Siochana, Dominic Hayes is to avoid Inistioge, Thomastown and Bennettsbridge.

Properties to be Vacated

Occupiers of properties in low lying areas of Bennettsbridge, Thomastown, Inistioge, and Graiguenamanagh are being advised to vacate their properties immediately and to stay with friends and family until the floods recede. Council, Army and Garda personnel will be on the ground in these areas throughout the day to advise and to assist people in vacating their properties.

Sandbags

Sandbags are available in Thomastown at the Fire Station, in Bennettsbridge in the car park opposite the Church and at the Council’s yard in Gaol Road, Kilkenny and will be made available in Inistioge as soon as possible.

Ongoing presence

Council staff including Fire Services personell who were out last night will be out again today in the flooded areas. They will be joined by up to 100 Army personnel and members of An Garda Siochana.

Safety Message

The public are being asked to stay away from the flooded areas. Not to drive or walk through floods. To obey the warning signs that have been put in place and obey any instructions of Council personnel and An Garda Siochana and not to make any unnecessary journeys. Should a journey be necessary the public are being asked to use the main roads and to slow down as there is spot flooding all over the county.

Helplines

Dedicated helplines have been set up.

If any person requires assistance they should contact the following numbers:

056 779 4466 or 056 779 4463.

Should be a thread placed and pinned to post usefull info like that which will benifit people..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The flooding is nothing to do with the government. Its to do with local councils , planning depts and people building in stupid areas

You do realise that councils, planning departments etc are local government, and are answerable to the central government, and policy is dictated from central government?

Also, the flooding has a lot to do with government policy. For several years now farmers have been paid grants to clear scrub and marginal land, drain it and make it available for grazing, all in order to increase national production and agricultural exports. Land planted with native trees holds 67 times more water than grassland. Government policy has resulted in vast areas of naturally water-retaining land being converted into fast-draining dry ground that is useless for soaking up rainfall. All the clamour for better drainage and flood defences is just ignoring the cause upstream. It is better drainage that is exacerbating the problem now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Hearing that River Shannon in Athlone could surpass 2009 levels in the next 24hrs.

Another ASCAT image from 10:11, showing the strongest winds over Cork and Waterford.

373125.png

No trains in Enniscorthy today.

CXenyFzWcAA04py.jpg

The tightest gradient has now passed into the Irish Sea.

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/WEB_Analysis.png?1412

Rondalsway in Isle of Man reported 45 gust 61 knots an hour ago

METAR EGNS 301350Z 21042G55KT 4000 HZ SCT022 10/05 Q0992 NOSIG=
    METAR EGNS 301320Z 20045G61KT 4000 HZ SCT025 11/05 Q0991 NOSIG=

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Hearing that River Shannon in Athlone could surpass 2009 levels in the next 24hrs.

There is about a 7 day lag with the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

There is about a 7 day lag with the Shannon.

Maq they weren't expecting this to happen until Saturday, parts of town flooding now that never flooded before. Water table is so high it's got nowhere to drain to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

And going by the vast amounts of rain that fell last night, I reckon Athlone is going to be in BIG trouble in the coming days. Still no end in sight for this weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This is south green in Arklow where the Avoca has burst the new flood defence there
    It's also closed the vale road between the town and woodenbridge

YcqNVpw.png

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    No trains in Enniscorthy today.

CXenyFzWcAA04py.jpg

The only word that comes to mind is GOBSMACKED... took me a minute to even realise that that is the railway line?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement