Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Thunderstorms forecast west of the Shannon

EISN SIGMET 08 VALID 301127/301527 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR EMBD TS FCST W OF W00800 TOP FL280 MOV NE AT 30KT NC=

Still some severe windshear at Dublin.

EIDW WS WRNG 04 301400 VALID 301406/301606 SEV WS APCH RWY28 OBS AT 1348 AIRBUS 320 LOSS OF 15-20KT BETWEEN 80FT AND 100FT=

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

HighLine wrote: »
    River levels still rising in Enniscorthy according to this...

https://twitter.com/beat102103/status/682191488479014912

There is a lot more rain to drain from lugnaqilla. Wicklow was almost washed away last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Graces7 wrote: »
    The only word that comes to mind is GOBSMACKED... took me a minute to even realise that that is the railway line?

I think the technical term for it now is a canal! These are record breaking levels we are seeing now, only going to get worse in the next few days, more rain Monday into Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You would really feel sad for the people whose homes and businesses are like this house in Kilmacow today:

https://twitter.com/kclr96fm/status/682208648798408704

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RobertKK wrote: »
    You would really feel sad for the people whose homes and businesses are like this house in Kilmacow today:

At least Brendan Howlin sees the funny side of it.:mad:

CXesqLXWEAAsZRR.jpg

I spoke to Paul Kehoe earlier down by the river and he seemed genuine enough about it and the need to push through flood relief works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

zerks wrote: »
    At least Brendan Howlin sees the funny side of it.:mad:

CXesqLXWEAAsZRR.jpg

I spoke to Paul Kehoe earlier down by the river and he seemed genuine enough about it and the need to push through flood relief works.

It is years since I was in Enniscorthy, a nice scenic location, so many towns need major flood defenses put in, rather than tax reductions, the state should first really work on flood defenses as no one likes the scenes of flooding that we see all around the country.
    It is a regular occurrence at this stage.

I see Simon Harris is visiting Athlone and Kilkenny today.

btw that photo you posted earlier, before I saw what you had wrote, I was wondering where that canal was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Not sure if this has been posted already, but here is a picture I saw else where taken in cork:

hPNOsLr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Maq they weren't expecting this to happen until Saturday, parts of town flooding now that never flooded before. Water table is so high it's got nowhere to drain to.

What bits flooded that never flooded before? Its still not at the 09 level.
    My folks live down hear Hodson Bay Hotel and its not quite at the level it hit then? Not far off mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Yesterday's rainfall totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Maq they weren't expecting this to happen until Saturday, parts of town flooding now that never flooded before. Water table is so high it's got nowhere to drain to.

Just from looking at the gauge here it looks like there hasn't been much change today overall at that point, but it should start creeping up soon.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000026027/0001/day/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Plenty floods in west Cork still. When is Gertrude due to visit and will she cause similiar destruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

No trains between Connolly and Lansdowne road currently due to storm damage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mallow is absolutely devastated. I saw a picture of the top of a bus shelter just about visible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mallow is absolutely devastated. I saw a picture of the top of a bus shelter just about visible

I have a feeling that photo has already been identified as being on a flood plain and therefore designed to flood. It is protecting other parts of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »

It is heartbreaking, Robert.. feel so helpless and all I can do here is care and pray. Just heartbreaking. Does house insurance cover flooding? Hope so and that they were covered but even so. Home is the heart and refuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yesterday's rainfall totals.

Pretty much as modeled too.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hi Folks,

I'm going to the Athlone tomorrow for new years. To the Athlone natives, is this a crazy idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

PcAngel wrote: »
    Plenty floods in west Cork still. When is Gertrude due to visit and will she cause similiar destruction?

According to some forecasts ive read its possible it will be Friday, but stand to be corrected on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

D wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already, but here is a picture I saw else where taken in cork:

hPNOsLr.jpg

Isn't that park designed to be flood overflow though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The outlook is grim for these flooded areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Hi Folks,

I'm going to the Athlone tomorrow for new years. To the Athlone natives, is this a crazy idea?

Athlone is open for business and your sure to have a good time ringing in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Total rainfall at my location in Galway City was 28.14mm during storm Frank, it was a he'll of a lot heavier in other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXesqLXWEAAsZRR.jpg:large

Enniscorthy this morning. Worst since 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Still waiting for some rain here in Bedfordshire. It was meant to have at least some since 12 but not a drop. 90% chance of rain since 3 and still nothing. Must be a rain shield!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rhetorical question for those who insisted to shout non-event for Ireland before the storm started, is you opinion still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Toxica wrote: »
    Judging from Kerry Mountain Rescue FB page he was with 3 other people, I think it was the group my mother saw yesterday morning in the Bridia Valley, she asked if they had heard the weather forecast, they said yes but yet they still went ahead and climbed the mountain. Madness.

they should get seven days and a fine of 3k for that

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Hi Folks,

It's a crazy idea, whatever the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note
    Some posts have been moved into the Winter Weather Thread - let's keep this one for comments on Storm Frank

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Rhetorical question for those who insisted to shout non-event for Ireland before the storm started, is you opinion still the same?

There was no storm just a normal winter gale that now has to get a name...lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement