Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Slaney has now peaked in Enniscorthy.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000012002/0001/day/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Slaney has now peaked in Enniscorthy.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000012002/0001/day/

Is that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I just like to thank Boards.ie the moderators and the posters for giving great coverage for stormy weather. Especially for Storm Frank which caused flooding to several towns and villages to mainly the southern half of Ireland. In my location near Limerick city we weren't the badly affected by that 24 hours of bad weather.

For Friday, New Year's Day it looks like there is another rather deep depression approaching us. I don't think it would be bad enough to get the name Gertrude. But it probably generate south easterly gale force winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Water level is gone down an inch in enniscorthy. Hopefully the worst is over.
    Although to see people bucketing water out of the bus stop shop over a wall of sandbags, I'm not sure it could.
    I see the army going into town in one of their lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is that good?

Yes, it's dropping instead of rising...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Gusts currently up to 50 knots or more at Cork Apt, Valentia and Roches point as the gradient tightens in the SW.

373078.png

What is the link to the Harmonie analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Athlone is open for business and your sure to have a good time ringing in the New Year.

Athlone town is fine. No floods near either of the two shopping centers. Its around the outskirts that are flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

piuswal wrote: »
    What is the link to the Harmonie analysis?
    http://www.met.ie/latest/marine-analysis.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

14,000 people without power at one stage,properties flooded,yep,just a typical winter gale.

Well he does have a bit of a point
    A lot of the problem today is the combination of 8 weeks of 5 days out of 7 being wet with no where left for the water to go only flood
    No single event was particularly exceptional hurricane Charlie style
    Its the water level in the rivers and reservoirs thats getting exceptional at this stage caused of course by that nearly every day of rain thats happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Yesterday's rainfall totals.
    What is really striking is how much devastation has been caused by relatively low rainfall totals. The reason for this is that the ground has been saturated by the previous month's rainfall.

I posted this image a few days ago of the '7 day accumulated totals' from my rain gauge to illustrate the point.

DecemberFlooding2015_zpsqqbxms3q.jpg

The circled area was the start of the flooding events in the midlands while the jagged line was my projection for Storm 'Frank'. These conditions look set to continue with the next couple of storms already queuing up in the Atlantic.

Very difficult times for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

14,000 people without power at one stage,properties flooded,yep,just a typical winter gale.its a
    Great insight into the peculiar oddness of the irish mindset though,in that naming a storm creates such turbulence within people,wouldn't bat an eyelid in the rest of the world.

Thats what makes storms and sever weather conditions .What we had last night is just a normal ****ty winter gale , only reason there is flooding is due to a back up of water from constant **** weather ,, Nothing to do with a storm.. its an accumulation of bad weather from the past 6 months to be honest..

Wind Records
    Highest wind speed in a gust: 98kts (181 km/h) at Malin Head, Co. Donegal on 16th September 1961.
    Highest 10-minute mean wind speed: 71kts at Foynes, Co. Limerick on 18th January 1945.

Rainfall Records
    Highest annual total: 3964.9mm at Ballaghbeama Gap in 1960.
    Highest monthly total: 790.0mm at Cummeragh Mtns in October 1996.
    Highest daily total: 243.5mm at Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry on 18 September 1993.
    Highest hourly total: 52.2mm at Clonroche, Co. Wexford on 27th June 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Pretty cool pic from tramore this afternoon

https://twitter.com/noelbrowne5/status/682188449244405760

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Well he does have a bit of a point
    A lot of the problem today is the combination of 8 weeks of 5 days out of 7 being wet with no where left for the water to go only flood
    No single event was particularly exceptional hurricane Charlie style
    Its the water level in the rivers and reservoirs thats getting exceptional at this stage caused of course by that nearly every day of rain thats happened

So... the fact that we had a lot of yellow and orange warnings is wrong or right? The way I see it we had weather consistent with the warning levels, no single red event.

Lotta roads closed in mid cork all the same.

I'm guessing Malcolm600f could be the neighbour that was helping legomaniac with the roofing / bridge building yesterday.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pretty cool pic from tramore this afternoon
    Thats a real cool picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Thats what makes storms and sever weather conditions .What we had last night is just a normal ****ty winter gale , only reason there is flooding is due to a back up of water from constant **** weather ,, Nothing to do with a storm.. its an accumulation of bad weather from the past 6 months to be honest..

Wind Records
    Highest wind speed in a gust: 98kts (181 km/h) at Malin Head, Co. Donegal on 16th September 1961.
    Highest 10-minute mean wind speed: 71kts at Foynes, Co. Limerick on 18th January 1945.

Rainfall Records
    Highest annual total: 3964.9mm at Ballaghbeama Gap in 1960.
    Highest monthly total: 790.0mm at Cummeragh Mtns in October 1996.
    Highest daily total: 243.5mm at Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry on 18 September 1993.
    Highest hourly total: 52.2mm at Clonroche, Co. Wexford on 27th June 1986.

So we had bad weather that brought about storm like conditions because of previous bad weather,which warranted the issuing of warnings,which led to a naming of the bad conditions but it wasn't a storm. Ah,ok,I got it.

I'm guessing Malcolm600f could be the neighbour that was helping legomaniac with the roofing / bridge building yesterday.

No i was outside painting the boat getting it ready to go back into the water to get some fishing done yesterday ..I tend to leave the lego to when the weather is bad..

So we had bad weather that brought about storm like conditions because of previous bad weather,which warranted the issuing of warnings,which led to a naming of the bad conditions but it wasn't a storm. Ah,ok,I got it.

What bad conditions ,, People think this is all the result of ONE storm.. That was not a storm last night and this morning , all the flooding is a build up of water this past months ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

No i was outside painting the boat getting it ready to go back into the water to get some fishing done yesterday ..I tend to leave the lego to when the weather is bad..

You are a total badass.

All hail King Malcolm!

The slaney is going down again. The only good thing about the river is that it's a fast flowing river, it floods fast and goes down fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

What bad conditions ,, People think this is all the result of ONE storm.. That was not a storm last night and this morning , all the flooding is a build up of water this past months ..
    I can see that it's the use of the term 'Storm' that irritates you and yes Frank was not technically a storm on the Beaufort Scale. Met Eireann acknowledge this
    'Technically, in the Beaufort Scale, the term ‘Storm’ is reserved for wind events of mean speeds between 89 and 102 km/h. These are rare enough events overland in Ireland, occurring every couple of years or so on average; somewhat more frequently in the coastal waters around Ireland.'

and that under this new scheme, names may be assigned at substantially lower thresholds.

The whole idea is to name all wind events given status Orange or status Red weather warnings as Storm Desmond etc in order to raise public awareness and to at least try to mitigate potential damage to property, homes and people.
    If using the name 'Storm Frank' did that in any small way overnight then they've achieved their objective.

Lumi wrote: »
    I can see that it's the use of the term 'Storm' that irritates you and yes Frank was not technically a storm on the Beaufort Scale. Met Eireann acknowledge this

and that under this new scheme, names may be assigned at substantially lower thresholds.

The whole idea is to name all wind events given status Orange or status Red weather warnings as Storm Desmond etc in order to raise public awareness and to at least try to mitigate potential damage to property, homes and people.
    If using the name 'Storm Frank' did that in any small way overnight then they've achieved their objective.

To be honest Lumi the part thats really pissing me off with the whole storm naming is all you hear people speak about now is storms storms storms and as you already pointed out they are not storms, its just typical Irish winter gales..I live on a very exposed part of the NW coast where we know all about storms and harsh weather, and to be fair warning of real storms are taken serious here.. All these silly little blows been deemed storms are going to be a little like the boy crying wolf some day,, A real storm will be over looked by people and real damage will be done..
    I am all for giving weather warning but to name every little breeze a storm is a bloody joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

To be honest Lumi the part thats really pissing me off with the whole storm naming is all you hear people speak about now is storms storms storms and as you already pointed out they are not storms, its just typical Irish winter gales..I live on a very exposed part of the NW coast where we know all about storms and harsh weather, and to be fair warning of real storms are taken serious here.. All these silly little blows been deemed storms are going to be a little like the boy crying wolf some day,, A real storm will be over looked by people and real damage will be done..
    I am all for giving weather warning but to name every little breeze a storm is a bloody joke..

Sadly,These little blows we've been having,have already been over looked by people,like the man who was swept away and drowned a few weeks ago during 'storm' Desmond,I mean winter gale.

Come down to wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

Have a hotel booked in Cork City centre for tomorrow night. Traveling from Louth. Yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Quick post with photos and video from Drone footage over River Slaney in Tullow this afternoon
    http://www.oreilly.ie/storm-frank-30th-december-2015/

If we had last nights event mid summer with the same rainfall would there be rivers bursting banks all over the shop and widescale urban floods? After a singular event in isolation equivalent to last nights?
    No is the answer
    Rainfall totals that meet warning thresholds will trigger the warning alerts,of course
    They'd do so in summer also
    My point is hills are saturated so events like last night are an accumulated problem at this stage far exceeding what those warnings are designed for
    To diss comments suggesting such is to mis understand weather
    It's basic geography
    We need standardised flood level warning systems like those in the UK

Duff wrote: »
    Have a hotel booked in Cork City centre for tomorrow night. Traveling from Louth. Yay or nay?

Yay
    Take the motorway the whole way down
    If Gertrude packs a punch it won't be while you are on the road

Sadly,These little blows we've been having,have already been over looked by people,like the man who was swept away and drowned a few weeks ago during 'storm' Desmond,I mean winter gale.

Are you referring to the man who drowned when he left his car when it got stranded in flood water ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

circadian wrote: »
    You are a total badass.

All hail King Malcolm!

Everything is awesome ha????? ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement