Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Hold on .... hold on.......

I take it..... that there is a Storm Frank....it does physically exist.... right now.

It's just it did not directly pass over the country, the depression is somewhere between Iceland and Scotland and continuing to move over to Norway west coast etc.

So what has happened is that Ireland has received a weather front... which is associated with Storm Frank. And this weather front has dumped a lot of moisture on the south coast... and produced a bit of wind.

One could describe it as the tail end of Storm Frank. From what I know (which is not much) ... most depressions... travel across the Atlantic... and as they approach Malin Head... they then tend to veer North Eastward... up the west coast of Scotland.

Am I correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

ABC101 wrote: »
    Hold on .... hold on.......

I take it..... that there is a Storm Frank....it does physically exist.... right now.

It's just it did not directly pass over the country, the depression is somewhere between Iceland and Scotland and continuing to move over to Norway west coast etc.

So what has happened is that Ireland has received a weather front... which is associated with Storm Frank. And this weather front has dumped a lot of moisture on the south coast... and produced a bit of wind.

One could describe it as the tail end of Storm Frank. From what I know (which is not much) ... most depressions... travel across the Atlantic... and as they approach Malin Head... they then tend to veer North Eastward... up the west coast of Scotland.

Am I correct?

That about sums it up alright.. Was close to the west coast but thankfully the real damaging part stayed off land..would not like to imagine what the heart of the storm was like as the sea surge where i am was unreal last night,..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

***Very latest update from Wexford County Council regarding flooding and road closures ****

Wexford County Council continues to monitor flooding locations throughout the county on an hour by hour basis.

The following roads are closed with diversions in place:

Gorey District Ahare Bridge to Castletown
    The Island Bridge, Craanford
    Cahore to Oldbawn Road

The Northbound lane South of the Tinnock Roundabout on the R772 has restricted width at the moment due to flooding.

New Ross District R733 at Coolbrock will remain closed for tonight
    R737 from the Cross of the Barrels to Duncannon (Shanacloon) will remain closed for tonight.

Wexford District Local floods in usual areas of Bridgetown, Rosslare Strand and Kilrane.

Killurin Road Closed

R741 through Castlebridge has reopened to traffic in both directions, following earlier flooding

Enniscorthy District Enniscorthy Town remains flooded, including N11, both bridges, both Quays and Island Road. All national route traffic diverted
    R744 Templeshannon flooded and closed
    The Promenade also flooded and closed.

Widespread flooding throughout the district of secondary roads, including Edermine

Wexford County Council has deployed around 250 people, including direct staff and contractors, to deal with the severe flooding. Members of the Defence Forces have also been deployed, as has the Wexford County Council Civil Defence. More than 3000 sandbags have been distributed.

Incidences of flooding and similar emergencies from around the County can be reported through the Enniscorthy District Office of Wexford County Council. The number is 05392 33540. This phone line will remain open until 9.00pm tonight to take calls.

Out of Hours emergencies can also be reported to Wexford County Council by contacting our Emergency Line 1890 treble six, treble seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,066 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Here's a silly little blow this afternoon not far from me in Clondalkin : (Pics - Dublin Fire Brigade)

CXe8YuWWYAAwKpj.jpg
    CXe04ksWwAAjrr6.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storms/storm-frank-gale-force-winds-blow-roof-off-dublin-apartment-complex-34324402.html

Gusts of over 60 knots recorded up the road at Casement Aerodrome.

Of course, sod's law dictated that today was green bin day, the amount of crap being blown up the road was unbelievable. Not just wheelie bins being tipped over but being blown along on their sides. By the time the bin lorry showed up this evening, it was calm. Must have a look in the morning at the far end of the road where the contents of half the bins ended up :(

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Contemplating driving Dublin to Sligo tonight.

I haven't been watching this thread or any weather warnings ... is it a good idea or not?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I haven't been watching this thread or any weather warnings ... is it a good idea or not?

Thanks!

Wind is dead, go ahead. You won't even feel a breeze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks!

Leave it till the morning.

Leave it till the morning.

Why exactly?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why exactly?

Use a bit of common sense and remember the possible dangers and you will be alright to drive ..

IMO no extra precautions are required at all tonight. Its a clear, cool (But not freezing), windless night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Why exactly?

1. It's dark, vision is impaired.
    2. There are flooded roads you won't be able to judge the depth of.
    3. There are a lot of fallen trees and debris that will not have been cleared up yet.

Don't let you haste be your demise.

As the previous poster said wait until morning and let the water levels receded and the clean up of unwanted crap on the road begin.

1). Amm...it's dark alot :P
    2). Looking at AA roadwatch there is no flooded roads between Sligo and Dublin
    3). Not on main routes there not, unless the OP is planning to drive through farm road the whole way.

It will infact be windier tomorrow than now. There's precaution, and then there's stupidity where nothing is done. I'm not saying your post was quite the 2nd scenario, but it wasn't just reasonably pre-cautious.

1). Amm...it's dark alot :P
    2).Looking at AA roadwatch there is no flooded roads between Sligo and Dublin
    3).Not on Main routes there not, unless the OP is planning to drive through farm road the whole way.

It will infact be windier tomorrow than now. There precaution, and then theres stupidity where nothing is done. I'm not saying your post was quite the 2nd scenario, but it wasn't just reasonably pre-cautious.

Off you go so, you've all the answers and websites are always 100% correct.

Deank wrote: »
    Off you go so, you've all the answers and websites are always 100% correct.

I will, meanwhile you lock yourself in your house, turn off the power and certainly don't cook anything, god sure those things get hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECMWF synoptic analysis had the low down to 934 mb at noon today just north of Iceland.

373153.png

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    ECMWF synoptic analysis had the low down to 934 mb at noon today just north of Iceland.

934 would be a bad ass low to get caught up in..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wow that's devastating! Thanks for sharing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

And here is a drone video also from Skycam Ireland

I will, meanwhile you lock yourself in your house, turn off the power and certainly don't cook anything, god sure those things get hot!

No need for the angst, if you don't want good advice just ignore it.

Watch out for that fallen tree under two foot of flood water that AA Road watch have not got info on.

Happy Swimnas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

zerks wrote: »

I don't know how shops along the river are able to survive there, there's been flooding there almost every year for the last several.

Deank wrote: »
    No need for the angst, if you don't want good advice just ignore it.

Watch out for that fallen tree under two foot of flood water that AA Road watch have not got info on.

Happy Swimnas.

It's not good advice IMO, thats why I challenged it!
    AA Roadwatch sometimes do miss things on minor routes, but Sligo-Dublin isn't one of them.

Happy New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

373153.png

It got lower than that lastnight, however. Buoy 64560 reported 932.9 hPa at 01Z this morning.

It got lower than that lastnight, however. Buoy 64560 reported 932.9 hPa at 01Z this morning.

Any idea what is the lowest ever recorded in Ireland and when was it,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's not good advice IMO, thats why I challenged it!
    AA Roadwatch sometimes do miss things on minor routes, but Sligo-Dublin isn't one of them.

Happy New Years.

N4 at Carrick on Shannon is flooded. There is a detour in operation.

Here's a silly little blow this afternoon not far from me in Clondalkin : (Pics - Dublin Fire Brigade)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storms/storm-frank-gale-force-winds-blow-roof-off-dublin-apartment-complex-34324402.html

Gusts of over 60 knots recorded up the road at Casement Aerodrome.

That's terrible, scary to have that happen.

Not quite 60 knots at Casement, though, "only" 58 knots!

Here are the highest synoptic gusts reported on the island of Ireland over the past 2 days.

72 knots - Sherkin Island
    68 knots - Belmullet, Magilligan No. 2
    66 knots - Roche's Point
    62 knots - Sligo Airport
    61 knots - Donegal Airport
    60 knots - Malin Head, Mace Head, Finner
    58 knots - Casement, Valentia
    57 knots - Cork Airport, Dublin Airport

The highest 10-minute windspeed was 55 knots at Sherkin Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cheers Frank! It/he took out my shed, as it got fairly windy there for a while.

franklybadweather.jpg

To be frank though, it was a bit fullacrap and got it all into a trailer n'skip within 3hrs.
    Only 1/10th as bad as anyone getting waterlogged, yikes.

Recommend not getting a tin/aluminium shed or put it in an exposed area.

Maximum gusts from Storm Frank and its offspring Friday.

1910189_1254908234525555_6974200787739198494_n.png?oh=9e1c2b2f15c142d02ce2e12a724ea011&oe=56FB323C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maximum gusts from Storm Frank and its offspring Friday.

1910189_1254908234525555_6974200787739198494_n.png?oh=9e1c2b2f15c142d02ce2e12a724ea011&oe=56FB323C

Ah that 72! That would be when I went under the bed ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement