Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Some really violent gusts here in west mayo now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Most, if not all, of the daily swimmers in Salthill will have done their dip by now. There were quite a few down there this morning at 11am and it was pleasant (for December).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's is sounding worse in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Picking up in Castlebar now, rain is starting to become more heavy and persistent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sherkin Island 37 gust 53 knots at 1400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reporting in from South Kerry, 400 asl. JUst back and sorted. It i horrific out there, worse than previous storms. My plan was to get to Killarney and be home by noon or soon after as the forecasts said it would be afternoon. The road this morning (Moll' Gap to Killarney on what they call " the top road" as oppoed to Kenmare to Kilgarvan was aalready very wet and in one place would need comparatively little to flood it. An old man when I stopped for petrol would nto believe I had got through that way. Someone in Tesco told me it was due at noon now and in fact it started in Killarney around 11 am, very sudden , very harsh, wind and heavy rain. The road was skiddy and pooling already. I am an experienced and intrepid driver ( been at it over 50 years) and would not like to do that run again. Tactical. I thought of you and your wisdom and i certainly had food in the car by then.. Stopped by the lake to drink the coffee I had bought and a young foreign tourist couple were there; no idea of the weather ahead. Two big laybys were filled with cars; walking clubs probably and a trio of cyclists shot past ..Saw a Park Ranger van parked skewwiff and the Ranger scrambling down a bank so pulled in in case i could help. Just a youngster doing a hard job. She had seen a car wreck; bright blue ,and was worried in case there was someone in it. Empty thankfully so we took the number; heard later in town that there had been " trouble" up there so they dumped the wreck? The last few miles on that road were appalling. A few cars had turned back. Vicious rain and sudden gusts on waterlogged surfaces, and the same then after errands in Kenmare along the bottom road to Blackwater Tavern. Trees starting to shed. kerry Airport has cancelled flights. Wild wild out there now. Stay home if you can; if not take care. This map will show road problems... http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=10904a4412aa4e21af406708e69638fc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's is sounding worse in cork city.

Cork airport had 33kts G 44kts according to ATC a few mine ago. Stopped listening.

Thoughts of about making a journey from clonmel to Killarney this afternoon/evening? Via mallow n72. Are were talking trees getting knocked down?

I drove Killarney to Molls Gap just now and it is wild. Can you check with AA roads etc? I would honestly wait if it is not urgent. Cork coco should have a twitter site which will have up to date info. google cork coco twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

53 kph near Macroom, Cork. Rain belting down.

Had planned to take photos on the way home! Managed one but will sort that later. Could hardly stand up. The sheep are amazingl they just munch on in all the weather.

• Advertisement

PcAngel wrote: »
    53 kph near Macroom, Cork. Rain belting down.

It is the variability; the sudden gusts that are so intense and throw you off balance. Arms tired from the steering! Sounds very bad out there now.Home safe, fire lit, hot water bottle and hot soup! No need to be out for at least a week now...they are practically giving fruit and veg away. Sorry; off topic but old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reporting in from South Kerry, 400 asl. JUst back and sorted. It i horrific out there, worse than previous storms. My plan was to get to Killarney and be home by noon or soon after as the forecasts said it would be afternoon. The road this morning (Moll' Gap to Killarney on what they call " the top road" as oppoed to Kenmare to Kilgarvan was aalready very wet and in one place would need comparatively little to flood it. An old man when I stopped for petrol would nto believe I had got through that way. Someone in Tesco told me it was due at noon now and in fact it started in Killarney around 11 am, very sudden , very harsh, wind and heavy rain. The road was skiddy and pooling already. I am an experienced and intrepid driver ( been at it over 50 years) and would not like to do that run again. Tactical. I thought of you and your wisdom and i certainly had food in the car by then.. Stopped by the lake to drink the coffee I had bought and a young foreign tourist couple were there; no idea of the weather ahead. Two big laybys were filled with cars; walking clubs probably and a trio of cyclists shot past ..Saw a Park Ranger van parked skewwiff and the Ranger scrambling down a bank so pulled in in case i could help. Just a youngster doing a hard job. She had seen a car wreck; bright blue ,and was worried in case there was someone in it. Empty thankfully so we took the number; heard later in town that there had been " trouble" up there so they dumped the wreck? The last few miles on that road were appalling. A few cars had turned back. Vicious rain and sudden gusts on waterlogged surfaces, and the same then after errands in Kenmare along the bottom road to Blackwater Tavern. Trees starting to shed. kerry Airport has cancelled flights. Wild wild out there now. Stay home if you can; if not take care. This map will show road problems... http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=10904a4412aa4e21af406708e69638fc

My mother lives in the Bridia Valley, she says it's not too bad there but I think she is quite sheltered from the southerly/south easterly winds. There were still hikers out there this morning though. Madness.

Storm picking up pace now in west Mayo.

sjb25 wrote: »
    idiots putting themselves at risk of being killed but worse the emergency services who will end up having to come save them aswell

I was surprised at the laybys on the Ring full of empty cars. clearly walking groups who maybe did not know how bad it would be. At least they are in groups. We shall see. it hit a few hours earlier than expected too. I understand totally the fascination with danger and the desire for bravado but as you say... Folk in the car park at tesco were hilarious... trying to work umbrellas.. all such good spirits and cheerful. Lovely to see that and when I stopped to buy coal not a murmur at having to leave the kiosk.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sounds nasty in cork city. And if the condition the cat was in when I left him in is a good gauge it isn't just sounding nasty.

My five are fine; one has insisted on going out too. he will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Graces7 wrote:
    I drove Killarney to Molls Gap just now and it is wild. Can you check with AA roads etc? I would honestly wait if it is not urgent. Cork coco should have a twitter site which will have up to date info. google cork coco twitter?

We are staying put. Thanks for making up my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nice new set of 'Probability' charts on Meteociel. This one shows the probability of rainfall above 25 mm over the next 24hrs.

gensprobuk-24-30.png?6

Looks like the southern half of the country will bear the brunt, with the Shannon Basin region looking to escape the worst thankfully, but given the low res of this model, it remains to see how it will verify.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

vEYdVDk.jpg

Cork TAF showing the secondary front tomorrow. Forecasting winds of 200 degrees 31kts G 48kts between 5am and 8am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Just spoke with my son who is travelling from Dublin to Killarney this afternoon. Some rain and a few strong gusts. Nothing severe. I got my roof sorted. It's way overhyped. I guarantee that this will be the concensus tomorrow when everyone will be asking ' Was that it?'

Power cuts occurring now in Westport area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

legomaniac wrote: »
    Just spoke with my son who is travelling from Dublin to Killarney this afternoon. Some rain and a few strong gusts. Nothing severe. I got my roof sorted. It's way overhyped. I guarantee that this will be the concensus tomorrow when everyone will be asking ' Was that it?'

The advice on the news is not to make any journeys unless absolutely necessary.
    It is always better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

legomaniac wrote:

The thing is the focus is on met eireann and the relevant groups following the severe flooding we have had over the last few weeks. They can't be seen to brushing aside a possible risk given the disruption that has been caused over the last few weeks.

They can afford to overhype but there would be outrage if we got it bad and they didn't warn us.

:rolleyes:Read the thread maybe.. or have a look at AA roadwatch twitter. That kind of sneering comment died here around 11 am..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Proper stormy in West Kerry .... Horizontal driving rain ..... Waiting for the cows to fly by

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Coming into Westport now and by god it's windy!

Haha trolling at its finest. Its obvious your only looking for a reaction, especially considering the peak of the storm isn't for hours yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Regarding the secondary low tomorrow, 12Z HIRLAM now showing a tighter gradient over the southwest than on previous runs. More in line with what the ARPEGE has been showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Regarding the secondary low tomorrow, 12Z HIRLAM now showing a tighter gradient over the southwest than on previous runs. More in line with what the ARPEGE has been showing.

Is that bad news or good news?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement