Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi help in the house , confusing stuff

Options
  • 27-12-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Okay so I have UPC Wifi in the house but I had to buy this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220KIT.html to extend the wifi around the house as the signal was bad out the back of the house. The problem is that it's 2 different wifi signals as I couldn't pair them as there's no button at the back of the router to do that so you need to switch to the other powerline wifi signal when switching rooms. The wifi signal from the power line tends to stop working now and again and its quite frustrating, if I'm on my phone I have to knock wifi off and on again to get it working. Is there anyway to solve this?
    Also I just got a horizon box so I'm thinking it may be possible I can pair the power line with that to run just one wifi signal throughout the house and get rid of the router?
    Hope this is not confusing and it makes sense to someone, try and keep it simple as if can if you are answering, I have a fair idea what I'm doing but I'm certainly no expert.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Basically what you need to do is turn on WPS before you press the clone button on the extender. The Horizon box doesn't have a physical button, so you need to log into the router's admin page (192.168.100.1 on the newer models) and turn it on there.

I'm not able to check right now but I think you navigate to Wireless -> WPS -> Turn it to enabled and hit PBC Start.

Then press the clone button on your extender.

That should be it. Remember to turn off WPS when you're done as it has massive security flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

maki wrote: »
    Basically what you need to do is turn on WPS before you press the clone button on the extender. The Horizon box doesn't have a physical button, so you need to log into the router's admin page (192.168.100.1 on the newer models) and turn it on there.

I'm not able to check right now but I think you navigate to Wireless -> WPS -> Turn it to enabled and hit PBC Start.

Then press the clone button on your extender.

That should be it. Remember to turn off WPS when you're done as it has massive security flaws.

So does mean I bypass my router now? I can unplug it as the horizon box becomes the new router?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Sorry, I thought you were only using the Horizon box.
    You could reconfigure things to just use the Horizon box, but if you're currently using both that and a router, you need to follow the above steps for the router.
    Essentially from wherever your actual WiFi signal is being broadcasted from, as that's the configuration you want to clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

maki wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought you were only using the Horizon box.
    You could reconfigure things to just use the Horizon box, but if you're currently using both that and a router, you need to follow the above steps for the router.
    Essentially from wherever your actual WiFi signal is being broadcasted from, as that's the configuration you want to clone.

Ah I see so I'll go into the router configuration and follow your steps for just one wifi setting throughout the house? Cheers for that.

Advertisement