Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can i call it "double standards" !?

• 27-12-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi,

just reading the weekend papers when I saw this article here:

North Korea's 'paranoid' computer operating system revealed
    Hamburg conference hears that Red Star intranet allows Pyongyang to control citizens’ access to websites

Is kind of frustrating that after reading the article AND the funny comments, forget reading it about North Korea Republic location then, "teleport" yourself as in time and space anywhere in the so called civilised country / behind the wall and ... is there a difference from a technological point of view !?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Hi,

just reading the weekend papers when I saw this article here:

North Korea's 'paranoid' computer operating system revealed
    Hamburg conference hears that Red Star intranet allows Pyongyang to control citizens’ access to websites

Is kind of frustrating that after reading the article AND the funny comments, forget reading it about North Korea Republic location then, "teleport" yourself as in time and space anywhere in the so called civilised country / behind the wall and ... is there a difference from a technological point of view !?

Regards

Thanks CAD, very interesting! Although I am surprised this comes as news as I believe Red Star has been around for a while. (The article admits as much).

Interestingly when I downloaded and tried it, I saw that gpg is included in the OS so it would still be possible to send gpg encrypted e-mails and symmetrically encrypt documents with a password. :)

I think the paranoia comes from the fact that each version of each file on the computer has a unique watermark, making it easier for the DPRK to crack down on pirated movies on USB sticks etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Advertisement