Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will you commemorate 1916 anniversary?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

timthumbni wrote: »
    How's that realies? Keyboard hardman alert? Lol.

keyboard hardman in what mate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well that's all in the distant past nodin. I doubt that many people aside from yourself are really that concerned about it in the present day. Sure isn't Britain one of the poster boys for multi culturism nowadays.

It's not that distant, and the rest was explained earlier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98216666&postcount=208

You've something against the oul multi-culturism now?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

And who exactly supports the British empire nowadays?

By 3:1, Brits think the British Empire is "something to be proud of".

Which is incredibly disturbing, as an Irishman.

masti123 wrote: »

They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land." - Desmond Tutu.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

masti123 wrote: »

It is. I love the history of the British Empire and the great generals it had on the battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

realies wrote: »
    ha ha ha the likes of your days is coming ok and well you know it, enjoy it while you can I suppose.no surrender.

Keyboard hardman as in the above sounds a wee bit threatening to me. I know the ira/republican our day will come motto. Was that just a coincidence with your post? And what do you mean by the "likes of you" anyway? Bit divisive is it not?

Sounds like you are one of those who think If it wasn't for those pesky unionists we would be a nation (or a notion) once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

The Duke of Wellington was a southern man and whipped Napoleon. Why aren't more people proud of that fact. A great military general and helped stop French imperialistic ambitions. You should be thankful that it was the British Empire ruling over you and not some French despotic tyrant or German one in the later years.
    French despotic tyrant mmmmm.

Napoleon is one of the most important historical figures ever and changed the World immeasurably. He smashed the cozy cartel of empires run by Europe's elite monarchs - Spanish, Dutch, Russian and Holy Roman. He doubled the size of America with the Louisiana Purchase. He introduced the Metric System. His Napoleonic Code and legal system was adopted by a quarter of the World as is still used today. His military skill and tactics are still taught at military academies today.

Coalitions were formed in Europe, mostly at the behest of Britain to keep their royal family in power.

Legend of a man.

And it wasnt Wellington who defeated him, it was the arrival of von Blucher's Prussian army.

Keyboard hardman as in the above sounds a wee bit threatening to me. I know the ira/republican our day will come motto. Was that just a coincidence with your post? And what do you mean by the "likes of you" anyway? Bit divisive is it not?

Sounds like you are one of those who think If it wasn't for those pesky unionists we would be a nation (or a notion) once again.

You take it what way you want pal. Its an opinion board is it not, and like arseholes we all have one .

Stojkovic wrote: »

Napoleon is one of the most important historical figures ever and changed the World immeasurably. He smashed the cozy cartel of empires run by Europe's elite monarchs - Spanish, Dutch, Russian and Holy Roman. He doubled the size of America with the Louisiana Purchase. He introduced the Metric System. His Napoleonic Code and legal system was adopted by a quarter of the World as is still used today. His military skill and tactics are still taught at military academies today.

Coalitions were formed in Europe, mostly at the behest of Britain to keep their royal family in power.

Legend of a man.

And it wasnt Wellington who defeated him, it was the arrival of von Blucher's Prussian army.

And played by rod Steiger in the film Waterloo I think. One of the few history class facts I remember somewhat is that he was exiled to Elba. To this day I have no idea where Elba is but Google is my friend I suppose.

You take it what way you want pal. Its an opinion board is it not, and like arseholes we all have one .

Not a bother chum, just replying to your query.......

• Advertisement

And played by rod Steiger in the film Waterloo I think. One of the few history class facts I remember somewhat is that he was exiled to Elba. To this day I have no idea where Elba is but Google is my friend I suppose.
    Elba is off the coast of Italy.

He returned from there and met his Waterloo.

Exiled again to St. Helena in the South Atlantic and died there in 1821.

I think the British Vulcan bombers refueled in St. Helena on their way to bomb the airport in the Falklands War.

Elba is off the coast of Italy.

He returned from there and met his Waterloo.

Exiled again to St. Helena in the South Atlantic and died there in 1821.

I think the British Vulcan bombers refueled in St. Helena on their way to bomb the airport in the Falklands War.

I actually recalled the St Helena one too. I actually saw a RAF Vulcan at an air show a while back. One of its last ever flights before heading to the airplane graveyard. Amazingly agile for a bomber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Legend of a man.

Napoleon created an empire bigger and far more evil than the British one.

If that makes him a legend then great,but you have a strange idea of what a legend is.

Napoleon created an empire bigger and far more evil than the British one.

If that makes him a legend then great,but you have a strange idea of what a legend is.
    Hardly an empire.

A very short lived one at that.

Anyway was Queen Victoria a nicer person ?

Hardly an empire.

Anyway was Queen Victoria a nicer person ?

Is she the one that went out with Billy Connelly? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Some opinions are not welcome, opinions that support terrorism on either side would fall into that category.

Legend of a man.

Napoleon was a tyrant, a warmonger and a heavy user of propaganda. He potrayed himself as a Christ like figure restoring order after the chaos of the revolution. Millions died as a result of his meglomania and didn't care if he saw Europe burn as long as he could be Lord of the ashes. His arrogance no doubt fueled his rise to power but also his downfall when he thought he could defeat the United Kingdom at the height of its power or invade Russia.

You have a strange taste in heroes.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Some opinions are not welcome, opinions that support terrorism on either side would fall into that category.

Listen hitler when did you become a mod, if you or anyone else here has a problem with a post report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

ha ha ha the likes of your days is coming ok and well you know it, enjoy it while you can I suppose.no surrender.

LOL, embarrassing post really. On a forum acting the hard man, member of the Ra are you?

• Advertisement

Listen hitler when did you become a mod, if you or anyone else here has a problem with a post report it.
    You have a right to say what you want. It doesn't mean other people won't call you an asshole for it or request you keep quiet.

I've seen posters here express support for the North Korean government for goodness sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It is. I love the history of the British Empire and the great generals it had on the battlefield.

Montgomery was a vicious anti guerrilla fighter. If he had his way black and tan thugs would be patrolling the city of Dublin rounding up civilians and executing them. Churchill was once an ally of Petain a general who collaborated with the Nazis. British generals did not care for the soldiers they commanded and the subjects they ruled over.

Whosthis wrote: »
    LOL, embarrassing post really. On a forum acting the hard man, member of the Ra are you?

How old are you ? 12. mind your own business what I am and what I am a member of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I ve been reading on Napoleon and he was very interesting
    Can we talk about that instead

You have a right to say what you want. It doesn't mean other people won't call you an asshole for it or request you keep quiet.

I've seen posters here express support for the North Korean government for goodness sake!

And I have seen you write some posts that would NK look like a kindergarden, As I have said if people have problem with posts ,report it. otherwise...

How old are you ? 12. mind your own business what I am and what I am a member of.

If you don't want people asking questions don't make stupid posts on public forums. You ****ing low life cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Tigger wrote: »
    I ve been reading on Napoleon and he was very interesting
    Can we talk about that instead

Napoleon was a great general loved by his army and by the general population, hated by most European Nations and had a strong support base in America. A greatly admired figure in history and politics.

You left us hanging there horse. You can neither confirm nor deny that you were a member of the ira. Change your username to Gerry and be done with it. Just watch that brother of yours. Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Napoleon was a tyrant, a warmonger and a heavy user of propaganda. He potrayed himself as a Christ like figure restoring order after the chaos of the revolution. Millions died as a result of his meglomania and didn't care if he saw Europe burn as long as he could be Lord of the ashes. His arrogance no doubt fueled his rise to power but also his downfall when he thought he could defeat the United Kingdom at the height of its power or invade Russia.

You have a strange taste in heroes.

Brits could never face Napolean alone, they had to hide behind the channel and call on allies and mercenaries.

We can still see the Britains true intents in its various minor seized and planted remnants around the globe. "Totally democratic" places like NI, Chagos, Gibraltar and the Malvinas.

If it wasn't for Napolean theres no doubt they'd have their hooks in many other lands.

Gwan the Napolean fella. Vive la République.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Napoleon was a great general loved by his army and by the general population, hated by most European Nations and had a strong support base in America. A greatly admired figure in history and politics.

What was his attitude towards Ireland
    Or were we so embedded In the British empire were we looked at as more of the same

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Whenever that wee buck sarkozy was on TV was it wrong of me to imagine him in a wee napoleon style hat? He surely could have played the little general in a movie. I liked him actually. But I liked his Italian chick a whole lot more.

• Advertisement

Whosthis wrote: »
    If you don't want people asking questions don't make stupid posts on public forums. You ****ing low life cretin.

This is not a public forum me little hard man, So go climb back under your little bridge.

Brits could never face Napolean alone, they had to hide behind the channel and call on allies and mercenaries.

We can still see the Britains true intents in its various minor seized and planted remnants around the globe. "Totally democratic" places like NI, Chagos, Gibraltar and the Malvinas.

If it wasn't for Napolean theres no doubt they'd have their hooks in many other lands.

Gwan the Napolean fella. Vive la République.
    In terms of a land army France had the advantage, on sea Britain was king. Which had the effect of making them practically uninvadable while they can dominate the Europe-Indian-East Asia trade route and use their money to ferment division in Europe.

As for the rest of your post. Erm.... ok, what ever you say bud.

This is not a public forum me little hard man, So go climb back under your little bridge.

It's public, very public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Today, my nine year old bought a copy of 'The Revolution Papers' with her pocket money. There was a copy of the Proclamation inside. She informed me that she would be reading it to the family during Easter 2016 :pac:

Yeh.

Thanks for that delightful read lads.

I see one of my comods has already banned the OP and Orange Brigade. A few more infractions handed out too.

This thread has nothing to do with what the OP said it was about, but of course he knew that when he started it.

If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of the Easter rising, there are history forums and there are political forums. Choose wisely. Ensure you read their charters before posting, you won't get away with the crap I've just read for as long as ye got away with it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement