Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bullsh1t! Myths you heard...

• 28-12-2015 5:38am

I had housemates who refused to let me spay my kitten before she had a litter because she would get depressed. I also heard that male dogs lose their luster after the job is done. I heard that budgies only lay eggs at the full moon, and rabbits need to be kept in a south facing run.

I also heard that lutino budgies carried a virus (they totally don't). That pitbulls have lockjaw (partially true).

Superstition and old wives tales are rife, what have you guys heard?

PS the thing about my cat needing to have a litter before I got her spayed almost did lead to unwanted kittens. I told my then housemates to find me 7 homes that would take a kitten. I wanted 7. They couldn't even give me one. Then I asked them not to let her out just in case... Every time my back was turned they threw her out. They wanted kittens. Seeing that 16 months later I'm the one caring for the cat itself... she never had kittens. She was fixed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Geese are a sign of bad weather.
    The field across the road from my home house is flooded, with about 20 acres under water. Yet my mother is very fond of saying "do you hear those geese? sign of bad weather".
    1. It's winter time in Ireland it's not going to be shirts and shades.
    2. It seems logical that water fowl would be attracted to a place with plentiful water,regardless of the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

That pitbulls have lockjaw (partially true).

Completely untrue actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Not entirely a myth about male dogs losing their lustre after neutering. My neutered dogs certainly don't have the same drive as the entire dogs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Cats need to have at least one litter of kittens before neutering to live as a real cat (seriously don't you think they would miss it going forward then if it was true and it would be better to neuter them before they have it?!)
    • Neutered male cats can't defend themselves (no, they just don't get into as many fights but they can fight of another cat just fine)
    • Declawing a cat is ok, it does not hurt them (not only does it hurt them, it would be the same as cutting of human fingers at the first joint, just do not do this to your cat, there are other ways to deal with scratching)
    • <insert Royal Canin kibble for specific breed> is a must for breed X (it's the same **** only advertised better and costing more)
    • Cats/dogs pee intentionally to annoy you (no, they don't have the capacity to do that; they are not humans so find out the real root cause)
    • Physical punishment (pat on the nose to pushing faces down into their pee/poo) works (no, for the same reason we don't beat up children anymore if they misbehave)
    • Pack theories being applied in training (Alpha dog, leader of the pack, pecking order in the pack, dominate the dog etc.)
    • Cats can't eat any milk products because they are lactose intolerant (not all cats are and plain Greek yogurt is very unlikely to upset any tummy inc. kittens and can work great as a treat if served in small amounts over the
      chemically pumped up superstore treats)
    • Cats love milk (most do but don't serve it due to high lactose and risk they get the runs from it, serve plan yogurt and only plain as the sugar content in flavored will ruin their teeths)
    • Cats/dogs will survive if dumped outside; they are hunters after all (no they will die a slow painful death)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Dogs can't look up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

That dogs get a "taste for blood" if they've nipped another dog/child/adult when feeling threatened so should be immediately put down, not rehomed or even given a veterinary health check.

That a dog who may have bitten another dog/animal has to be put down because "what if it was a child?"

That raw fed dogs are vicious, as they have the "taste for blood"

It's disgusting and unhygenic to have a dog in the house. They should be outside "where they belong"

It's ok to take puppies from their mother at 6 weeks, she won't let them feed any more, they're ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

"Let them off lead, they will sort it out." Sure, some dogs have leash aggression, off-lead they are much better. Others will become more insecure and more aggressive- or you can have dogs who are just bullies, who will bully if they are let off. Found this out the hard way as a kid, had a vet bill to show for it when the other (adult) owner assured me it would be fine.
    And there's no guarantee that dogs won't kill or injure each other, they're not little teddy bears, they're animals. If your dogs are racing towards me snarling and out of control, or circling us and growling as we walk and preventing us from walking, letting mine off-lead will very likely just help start the fight. If you know your dog is aggressive towards on-leash dogs, put them on a lead in the on-leash area where you know it will encounter them.

Cupping a dog's testicles is a cure for aggression.

Teach a dog to be afraid of cars so they won't go on the road. Or, and I've seen it happen to someone who allowed this fear to develop for this reason, they might actually decide that they should attack what they are afraid of and thus end up becoming car-chasers. Then you have to spend ages teaching them not to be afraid again.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Dogs can't look up!!

I genuinely just roared laughing at this. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Oh, forgot this one. Dousing a dog in motor-oil to cure mange.

Latatian wrote: »
    Well i suppose if he goes near an open flame it'll cure the mange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Latatian wrote: »
    It probably does work, completely searing the skin will probably kill the infection. In the same way that burning down your house will fix your flea infestation.

Quite common with travellers, I'm not sure why specifically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A pig can see the wind.
    A dog can see ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

When a dog starts eating grass it means it's going to rain.

When a dog starts eating grass it means it's going to rain.
    Does everything an animal does mean it's going to rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Does everything an animal does mean it's going to rain?

At the moment yes;)

Advertisement