Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing my laptop hard drive

Options
  • 28-12-2015 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

My laptop recently died and I need a new hard drive. I'm thinking about replacing it myself. I've never done this before. The first thing I'd like to know is how do I find out what hard drive is inside it (without first taking it apart)? Is there a site where I can enter the make and model of my laptop and see what hard drive is inside?

The second thing I'd like to know is how hard would this be? My laptop is a HP Pavillion 15-r005na. It's not one of those laptops with a little compartment covering the hard drive. I'm going to have to take the entire back panel off to get to the hard drive. Is this something a complete novice could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Are you certain it's the hard drive is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scartboy

Take a look at the first eleven minutes of the Youtube video at

www . youtube.com/watch?v=ryYrCMvXBrk

It's not the exact same HP model, but it'll give you an idea of what's involved in getting access to the hard disk.

Basically, all the tools you need are a Philips screwdriver (the packs of five that you can get in poundshops have the right one) and a credit card or similar piece of plastic to lever the laptop case apart. If you are methodical and, in particular, are careful when disconnecting the ribbon cables, it should be no great problem.

Tips:
    Get a small bowl to hold the screws and make a note of any that are different from the others, such as any longer ones. Keep the screws from outside the case separate from any you take off the motherboard and hard disk. I put the laptop on a sheet of A3 paper, draw its outline and then mark the locations of each screw hole on the paper.

Take a photo before removing any connectors from the motherboard; this makes it easier to replace them later on.

Consider static electricity - I ground myself on the kitchen sink before opening a laptop and avoid wearing any nylon or fleece - roll up your sleeves. If your room has a carpet, be especially wary of static build-up.

Lastly, be patient. If a part won't go back together, stop and consider why before forcing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When you buy a new hdd you'll have to reinstall the OS. Have you got the OS on a disc or memory stick. You'll need the serial number as well. If you know what your doing its pretty easy.

I can live without Windows. I've used Ubuntu before and was going to install that instead.
    mordeith wrote: »
    Are you certain it's the hard drive is the problem?

There's a message saying "Boot device not found". I've done a diagnostics test and the hard drive failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

many laptops, have a drive cover,
    4x3 inch approx,
    open cover,
    remove the drive cover screws,
    put em in a bowl.
    gently remove the drive .
    remove the 4 screws from the drive ,cradle. 2 screws on each side.
    2 on each side.
    remove the drive,
    put new drive in the cradle .
    screw in the 4 screws to hold the drive in place .
    place drive inside laptop.
    put cover back on .
    put screws back in cover.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ssd-upgrade-tutorial

copy all your data, music, photos to a usb drive first.
    or burn to a dvdrw disc

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/82958-how-to-upgrade-your-laptop-hard-drive/2

you can get small screwdriver philips kit in a 2 euro shop.

most laptops acess drive ,by taking off a small cover,
    takes 1 minute,

no need to open up the whole laptop in most cases,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I can live without Windows. I've used Ubuntu before and was going to install that instead.

There's a message saying "Boot device not found". I've done a diagnostics test and the hard drive failed.

Have you tried booting Linux from a Live USB or DVD to be sure the laptop will work ?

If not, I suggest you do before investing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can copy data from the drive,
    even if the boot sectors on the drive are damaged .
    By booting from a live cd ,
    eg linux mint 7 .
    And just browse to drive
    folders windows user ,music , photo,s etchttp://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=142

Advertisement