Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ok so it was a faulty sensor which the autopilot used faulty data to get the plane in a bad situation. Still my point stands i think of why the autopilot wasn't turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Beersmith wrote: »
    Ok so it was a faulty sensor which the autopilot used faulty data to get the plane in a bad situation. Still my point stands i think of why the autopilot wasn't turned off.

Isn’t the shocking part of this system that it will activate even with the autopilot switched off, so pilots will not necessarily identify that the undirected input is being driven by an autopilot system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Isn’t the shocking part of this system that it will activate even with the autopilot switched off, so pilots will not necessarily identify that the undirected input is being driven by an autopilot system?

What are you talking about activating? The anti stall system?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

What are you talking about activating? The anti stall system?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

They were probably pulling and resetting circuit breakers to try and reset the entire flight control system, because normally, those circuit breakers are confined to being reset on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

It's got nothing to do with the autopilot. I don't know where you got that idea from. The autopilot was never engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Brennus335 wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with the autopilot. I don't know where you got that idea from. The autopilot was never engaged.
    Dodgy autopilots not engaging :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Luftwaffe VIP transport A340-313 'Konrad Adenauer' carrying Chancellor Angela Merkel to the G20 in Argentina was turned around tonight, 1 Hour out of Berlin, having developed electronics problems that affected multiple systems including communications.

The 20 year old former Lufthansa aircraft diverted to Cologne, home base of the Luftwaffe government transport fleet, for assessment. The Chancellor and her party are being accommodated on commercial flights via Madrid, but it is understood she will miss the start of the summit.

The 'Adenauer' and a sister plane 'Theodor Heuss' have encountered multiple systems issues in recent years causing delays to foreign trips of both the Chancellor and federal President Steinmeier.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At least it's a commonly used commercial type in the West, avoiding the Polish presidential lack of currency crash issue, whatever about the having the head of the Polish Air Force in your cockpit insisting you get down issue.

The crew did the right thing whatever any VIP may or may not have demanded. In other parts of the world pressure may have been applied or implied to press on.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

At least it's a commonly used commercial type in the West, avoiding the Polish presidential lack of currency crash issue, whatever about the having the head of the Polish Air Force in your cockpit insisting you get down issue.

The crew did the right thing whatever any VIP may or may not have demanded. In other parts of the world pressure may have been applied or implied to press on.

Doesn't seem like the German way. What is surprising is that Germany doesn't have the capability to quickly step in another aircraft. Kinda speaks to the lack of defence spending (where govt transport sits in the budget) and capabilities that the US has been accusing Germany of skimping on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I was involved in a number of VVIP/Head of state charters when I worked for an airline abroad and we always had a 'hot-spare' aircraft fully fuelled, crewed and catered in case anything happened the first aircraft.
    The spare aircraft and crew were only stood down when the primary aircraft had departed and was four hours or Hale way (depending on the length of the flight) into its journey.
    It was expensive but considered nowhere near as expensive as the reputational damage of a technical delay or cancellation with a VVIP charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

There must be some A380s going cheap these days. I wonder what are the chances the Germans might throw out those crappy 340's and upgrade. I suspect the thrifty German mindset would balk at it, regardless of the symbolism.

A380 would be overkill and would be limited in the number of airfields that could handle it.
    They used to have a couple of A300s or A310s if I remember correctly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_transports_of_heads_of_state_and_government

Ex Lufthansa aircraft converted by Lufthansa Technic, I would have absolutely no concerns about the serviceability or reliability of an aircraft like this under the care of LHT.
    They look after a large number of VVIP aircraft for heads of state from all over the world, they're noted for their quality and the high standard of workmanship on aircraft like this.
    The recent event must have been just a glitch that could happen to any aircraft regardless of the high standard of Maintenance, sh*t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

https://twitter.com/DanPonceTV/status/1068539917452681216?s=19

WHOA! My aunt snapped this pic of a shredded engine on Frontier flight 260 from Vegas to Tampa. The plane was able to turn around and land. She says all passengers got a free breakfast voucher. https://t.co/vc4t4uxMmh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are looking out of the windows at that mess, you might have just made one of your own.. think my finger would be on the call bell asking for a very large gin...

Cover wasn't latched properly. Doesn't affect the operation of the engine at all.

Doesn't affect the engine..?
    Thats not just another fan cowl loss, those are the reverser halves that are fully opened, those things weigh a half a ton, if they departed the aircraft they could have done some serious damage to the wing or tail. The effectiveness of the thrust reverse and braking function of the aircraft would have also been seriously compromised...

This calls for the complete revocation of the ariworthiness certificate of teh Boing 773.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

This calls for the complete revocation of the ariworthiness certificate of teh Boing 773.

?

Frontier issue seemed to be an A320?

• Advertisement

Just a bit of satire on the usual media over-reaction ;)

Just a bit of satire on the usual media over-reaction ;)

It's terrible Joe, I was on one of those Aircoach 727 Jumbo jets, and the seats were all ripped - makes you wonder if the engine would fall off just as easy

Storm 10 wrote: »

So simple indeed - worst accidents have such a simple beginning.

Does anyone understand - how can a build up of black grease cause this? Did the grease clog motion?

Better maintenance would have been the key?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

A grim read in relation to the loss of a USMC KC-130 over Mississippi last year:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.militarytimes.com/assets/public-release-command-investigation-report-yanky-72-redacted.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

EchoIndia wrote: »

Talk about the worst luck. Prop blade is cracked, had the crack progressed a little further it'd be visible. When it detaches, it enters the aircraft and the force of it then detaches another prop on the other side, which impacts the aircraft twice; including taking half the horizontal stabaliser with it. Then the aircraft disintegrates completely. Yeash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Aeromexico Boeing 737-800 sustained serious damage as it allegedly collided with a drone on approach to Tijuana International Airport, Mexico according to local media

The flight #AM770 from Guadalajara completed the descent without complications, according to Diario de Colima, which noted that passengers disembarked from the plane normally.

Aeromexico-Boeing-737-800-sustained-serious-damage-to-its-radome2.jpg
    Aeromexico-Boeing-737-800-sustained-serious-damage-to-its-radome1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

What's that nose made of if a little drone did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

It's made of fibreglass, it needs to be non metallic becasue the weather radar is in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Here's the radar.

Advertisement