Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I’m surprised at the level of damage and he type of damage on the radome, I would have expected more of a glancing blow when an aircraft of that size collides with something as light as a drone. That looks like it hit something fairly substantial...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

I’m surprised at the level of damage and he type of damage on the radome, I would have expected more of a glancing blow when an aircraft of that size collides with something as light as a drone. That looks like it hit something fairly substantial...

It's physics. You need to multiply the speed of the object (jet=fast) by the weight of the object it collides with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Think of it as a one-kilo drone doing 500 mph.Fortunately, it's light structure / mass prevented it from penetrating the bulkhead and really messing things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It wouldn’t have been doing 500mph on approach...
    I’ve personally seen dozens of bird strikes over the years from serious ones that penetrated the forward pressure bulkhead and injured a crew member, ones that have gone down the core of the engine, cracked windscreens, multiple strikes, one perfectly impaled on a pitot probe (almost fully cooked when the aircraft landed) to bird strikes with zero damage and everything in between.
    Normally the ones that happen on approach and take off don’t do that much damage (unless they go down the engine)...

well, if it was on approach, then the aircraft was doing in the region of 140 kts so the drone will generate plenty of force when it hits the radome. Like you say, they dont have to be fast to do damage. I saw one on an Alouette years ago, a pigeon hit the air vent in front and filled the cabin with feathers and gunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Dublin Closed at the moment, a/c suffered hydraulic issue and stuck on the runway

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

Dublin Closed at the moment, a/c suffered hydraulic issue and stuck on the runway

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport

Reopened now.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Anyone know what happened here? technically speaking ?
    Tributes have been paid to a "positive and gorgeous" Irishwoman who died after falling from a walkway in a Spanish airport days before Christmas.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/tributes-paid-to-positive-and-gorgeous-wicklow-woman-judith-coughlan-who-died-after-falling-from-walkway-in-spanish-airport/ar-BBRzDhJ?li=BBr5MK2&ocid=mailsignout

Nothing to do with aircraft accident investigation; they won't even be called in as it's clearly an accidental fall from a building so it'll be local police and H&S investigation. Tragic but no concern of local AAIU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Truckermal wrote: »

Happened months ago, engineers were working on it, no crew or pax on board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A Russian Tu-22M3 long range bomber crashed at Olenegorsk airbase last week.

The aircraft came in fast in bad weather, hit the runway too hard, bounced and broke up.

Im not sure, I think it was trying to pull up and go around again but I'm no pilot. The weather was awful, midle of a snowstorm it seems.

https://theaviationist.com/2019/01/26/horrific-video-shows-russian-tu-22-bomber-breaking-up-and-crashing-earlier-this-week-in-murmansk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Could have been an ILS fault, he came down very hard and looks to have broken the back of the aircraft due to the impact stresses.

Could also have been a GCA approach, it being a military aircraft and such techniques are still practised by some air forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Apologies if this has already been posted but I read this summary this morning and am shocked that such a situation can happen in this day and age:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4aaadd7a&opt=0

Continue takeoff even though below V1, then shut down the wrong engine, then nearly stall the airplane whilst restarting. Absolutely crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thats a crazy report, certainly time for the Captain to retire as he has no right to be in an aircraft anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

The AAIB has published its preliminary report on the crash which killed the footballer, Emiliano Sala, and his pilot. There were massive variations in both course and altitude immediately before the crash.

10262522-6742721-image-a-105_1551107126754.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The AAIB report makes sobering and uncomfortable reading, there are more unanswered questions than there are answers, and the eventual answers to those questions will not make for easy reading when they are eventually published.

All I shall say is that I would not have been happy to be flying a single engine aircraft in (theoretically) VMC at or close to the freezing levels in airspace that would mean transiting a frontal zone, even though the aircraft has anti ice equipment. To be doing so at night over water was even more questionable.

And before a load of people jump down on me from a great height, I spent 18 months flying very regularly to and from Ireland to various UK and European destinations as PIC in a light aircraft, in both night and day, so I have more than a passing knowledge of the sort of conditions that would have been encountered on that flight.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Aer Lingus passenger films scary footage of another plane passing by window on flight from Dublin Airport to Lisbon

A passenger on an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin Airport to Lisbon was glad to get to the ground after spotting something nerve-wrecking out of his window.
    Bad flyers might want to look away now as footage shows another plane gliding by out the window with one passenger managing to whip out his phone and film the remarkable sight.
    William Cherry said the passing plane, which looks a little too close for comfort, "hasn't helped" his fear of flying - and that he was happy to reach the ground in Portugal.
    Speaking to Dublin Live, he said there wasn't a wink on the plane as other passengers didn't seem to notice it.
    He said: "What constitutes ‘a near miss’? This happened on my flight from Dublin to Lisbon yesterday!! Hasn’t helped my fear of flying! "

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/aer-lingus-passenger-dublin-airport-15904589

So presumably this is all within standard operating practice, and the media just love the drama, spooking fliers to fill pages. But any ideas on roughly how far away that plane might be? Obviously distance can be deceptive for the average punter at 30,000 feet plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thought this sub might enjoy this 2 part podcast on Peter Nielsen and the 2002 Uberlingen mid-air collision.
    Truly fascinating and detailed story of how ultimately one decision putting a human against the machine cost so many lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision

https://casefilepodcast.com/case-106-peter-nielsen-part-1/

https://casefilepodcast.com/case-106-peter-nielsen-part-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/aer-lingus-passenger-dublin-airport-15904589
    any ideas on roughly how far away that plane might be? Obviously distance can be deceptive for the average punter at 30,000 feet plus

they are flying different levels so it doesn't really matter how far it is, the vertical separation between stays at 1000 feet at all times (as one can verify via FR24, I believe the fl(r)ight in question is EI482, dep 28 feb and the crossing traffic is obviously one of the transatlantic 4 engine heavies coming in from NA.)
    Even with your lad zooming in the other plane - you still can't even recognize the markings or what type it is.. we can safely say that the other aircraft looks small and with that we conclude -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Aer Lingus A320 (EIN82KR) was at FL360 southbound and a Swiss A340 (SWR53T) at FL370 eastbound crossed at 0825 at position N49.3240 W08.7812.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

EchoIndia wrote: »
    The Aer Lingus A320 (EIN82KR) was at FL360 southbound and a Swiss A340 (SWR53T) at FL370 eastbound crossed at 0825 at position N49.3240 W08.7812.

It was an Emirates A380

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    It was an Emirates A380

Yes, sorry, I had looked at the wrong day. On the 27th they crossed just south of Porto - the A320 at FL370 and the A380 at FL380. A non-event.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

The report is out for the serious incident involving Aer Lingus A330 EI-LAX on takeoff from DUB in 2017.

http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/REPORT%202019-003.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wow, it just shows you how much work goes into these reports, and in this case it was a relatively tame engine fire warning with no casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

smurfjed wrote: »
    Wow, it just shows you how much work goes into these reports, and in this case it was a relatively tame engine fire with no casualties.

Not even a fire, but hot air escaping and triggering a fire warning.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Wow, it just shows you how much work goes into these reports, and in this case it was a relatively tame engine fire warning with no casualties.

there was a bit more to it than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They got lucky with that fuel line.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement