Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Typical media BS

Power loss is not the same as power failure and I doubt they "glided it in" at any point.

You're going to look a bit thick when you read the final report on what happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No need to get personal or abusive.

If you want to think that the media always report aviation incidents accurately, that's up to you...

Also what is the relevance of an event which happened nearly ten years ago? Surely the cause was found long ago and any necessary steps taken. There are thousands upon thousands of PT6 engines in service around the world for decades.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

You're going to look a bit thick when you read the final report on what happened...

We can all wait for the final report before pouring scorn on each other.
    In the meantime we can debate the merits of various opinions without resorting to petty insults or insinuations.

In the case of Air Transat Flight 236 they had quite a bit of surplus altitude to lose before a safe landing at Lajes air base on Terceira Island in the Azores. Resulted in a few silent circuits of the island ahead of touch down in a passenger jet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Typical media BS

Power loss is not the same as power failure and I doubt they "glided it in" at any point.

According to Irish Military on line the learner pilot saw bits of the engine and oil coming out of the cowling definitely a dead engine.

• Advertisement

No need to get personal or abusive.

If you want to think that the media always report aviation incidents accurately, that's up to you...

Also what is the relevance of an event which happened nearly ten years ago? Surely the cause was found long ago and any necessary steps taken. There are thousands upon thousands of PT6 engines in service around the world for decades.

Apologies for any offence caused but for some reason you seemed so sure the events as described couldn't have happened.
    I don't believe everything I read in the papers, my prediction was based on facts which are out there not media speculation, although in this case their version of events will be shown to be more accurate than yours.
    I also never referred to the incident ten years earlier, that was another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

In the case of Air Transat Flight 236 they had quite a bit of surplus altitude to lose before a safe landing at Lajes air base on Terceira Island in the Azores. Resulted in a few silent circuits of the island ahead of touch down in a passenger jet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

That was an interesting one. The pilots were so distracted by the non-problem that they neglected the large fuel leak until it was too late.

They were very, very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Are there ejection seats on the IAC PC-9s?

I don't believe everything I read in the papers, my prediction was based on facts which are out there not media speculation, although in this case their version of events will be shown to be more accurate than yours.

But I didn't but forward a version of events, I only expressed doubt as to the accuracy of what sounded like a typical media hyped-up account.

I also never referred to the incident ten years earlier, that was another poster.

I know, thought that was clear enough for it to go without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

roundymac wrote: »
    Are there ejection seats on the IAC PC-9s?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In a lot of situations, depending on the type of aircraft, it is standard practise to eject rather than attempt to force-land. With a propellor aircraft, the fear is that the prop could dig in and turn the aircraft over and the last place you want to be in a crash-landing is upside down in a canopy equipped aircraft.

But I didn't but forward a version of events, I only expressed doubt as to the accuracy of what sounded like a typical media hyped-up account.

I know, thought that was clear enough for it to go without saying.

Your version of events clearly dismisses the suggestion that the crew might have "glided it in at any point" solely because you read it in a newspaper article when that's exactly what happened.

You should ask the other poster why he made reference to the incident that happened in Australia ten years earlier on this thread if you don't see the relevance of it.

I did not put forward a version of events

I expressed doubt that the media version of events was accurate, it rarely is.

I did ask that but no answer has been forthcoming. To say there is a "question mark about the engine" on the basis of a single incident, ten years ago, when that engine has been in service for decades and over 50,000 produced, is completely ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A helicopter crash near Calvados, Normandy, France has claimed the life, among others, of M. Olivier Dassault, member of the French national assembly and member of the well known French aviation industry family.

No further details such as the helicopter type have been published as yet.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

two dead, Dassault and the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The type was a AS350 Squirrel. The incident occurred outside the channel coast resort of Deauville.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

AVHERALD really has some gems :):
    Donghai Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration B-5311 performing flight DZ-6297 from Nantong to Xian (China), was enroute at 7800 meters (FL256) about 70 minutes into the 120 minute flight, when the captain decided to take a toilet break in the forward first class toilet and instructed a passenger waiting before the toilet to return to his seat. The captain entered the toilet, when he later left the passenger was still waiting before the toilet. The captain thus talked to the flight attendant stating the flight attendant hadn't done his job and he should have returned the passenger to his seat. A physical altercation developed which, according to Chinese media reports, resulted in the flight attendant's fracture of an arm and the captain's loss of a tooth. The captain returned to the cockpit, the flight landed without further incident in Xian.

On Mar 8th 2021 the airline posted an apology on Chinese social media accounts confirming the incident and stating that both the captain and the flight attendant had been suspended. Measures to prevent a recurrence have been taken along the lines of China's Civil Aviation Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Royal Navy Hawk crashed in Cornwall. Crew ejected safely.

https://news.sky.com/story/raf-jet-crashes-after-crew-eject-12256136

smurfjed wrote: »
    AVHERALD really has some gems :):

Captain has been sent on a CRM refresher course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I read about this over the weekend, seems they are calling the new airport by the name that the old airport used to be called. The runways are the same heading too. Easy to say now but a mistake was waiting to happen
    Also, some reports suggest that both airports recently changed names! Previously, the existing airport was the ‘Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe Airport’. It is now ‘Ndola International’. The new airport was ‘Copperbelt International Airport’, but it very recently became… ‘Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe International Airport’. If this report stands, it means that Ethiopian’s flights landed at (or approached) the wrong airport, which now has the name that the right airport used to have!
    https://mentourpilot.com/wrong-airport-one-flight-lands-another-goes-around/

They will get screwed for landing and screwed even more a second time for taking off again.

549367.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I read about this over the weekend, seems they are calling the new airport by the name that the old airport used to be called. The runways are the same heading too. Easy to say now but a mistake was waiting to happen

https://mentourpilot.com/wrong-airport-one-flight-lands-another-goes-around/

While that does make it a confusing scenario, it still looks like Ethiopian's SOPs leave a lot to be desired.

Surely the new airport has no functioning navaids (probably not even PAPIs) so it would be quite obvious that something was up.

They must have been making a visual approach but even still, top of the list of threats discussed in the approach brief would have to be the close proximity of another runway in the same orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could be a very costly outcome for someone towbar broke

https://twitter.com/MaltaAvOutlook/status/1377944241872179206

The real airport only has a VOR approach and a NDB approach to one one of the runways. But even with this, the distance to the runway end would be available. There doesn’t appear to be any mention of the 2nd airport in Jeppesen.

This sort of thing keeps happening but it’s inexcusable with modern technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

josip wrote: »

A bit of a non event. The faulty data meant that take off speed calculations were 1 knot off.

cml387 wrote: »
    A bit of a non event. The faulty data meant that take off speed calculations were 1 knot off.

In a world where we are still using average passenger weights as well as cabin baggage weights, I would guess that this is more common than people think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

smurfjed wrote: »
    In a world where we are still using average passenger weights as well as cabin baggage weights, I would guess that this is more common than people think.

Why on earth would they use title to estimate weight instead of something like DOB? Seems like a crazy system.

• Advertisement

You are not obligated to give date of birth in a flight reservation (mostly)

Advertisement