Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

BeardySi wrote: »
    Summary of whatever sh!te they're spouting for those of us who won't click on their links?
    • plane experiences issues with pressure at 25000 ft, we have no information whether that was a rapid decompression or just failure to maintain differential cabin pressure, anyway, they descend to 7000ft
    • some passengers either claim or are grossly misquoted saying the plane fell for 18000 ft, either way FR24 shows it's a lie
    • some kids apparently got ear pain, other than that no injuries to anyone, no one got hypoxia, yet article seems to focus on oxygen masks that didn't deploy. Again we have no information whether the cabin altitude actually went above the safe limits and whether the masks had to deploy in the first place
    • crew, allegedly, didn't communicate with their pax very well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

...and now for some reality on that event...

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a87b2e0&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

This is an extraordinary read with the latest conclusion (5th May 2017) of:

The aircraft manufacturer did not account for the transient elevator deflections that occur as a result of the system flexibility and control column input during a pitch disconnect event at all speeds within the flight envelope. As such, there is no assurance that the aircraft has sufficient strength to withstand the loads resulting from a pitch disconnect. [Safety issue]

https://avherald.com/h?article=470e13a6&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Mebuntu wrote: »
    This is an extraordinary read with the latest conclusion (5th May 2017) of:

The  aircraft manufacturer did not account for the transient elevator  deflections that occur as a result of the system flexibility and control  column input during a pitch disconnect event at all speeds within the  flight envelope. As such, there is no assurance that the aircraft has  sufficient strength to withstand the loads resulting from a pitch  disconnect. [Safety issue]

https://avherald.com/h?article=470e13a6&opt=0
    Not a FBW aircraft? Seems that could be a way to provide envelope protection...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Report now out on the Challenger that encountered wake turbulence from an A380, and was subsequently written off by the damage.

https://www.bfu-web.de/EN/Publications/Interim_Reports/IR2017/I1-Report_17-0024_CL600A380_ArabiaSea.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Scary report made even scarier by my training colleague who thinks that we should fly at 340/350 rather than 400/410!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

martinsvi wrote: »

F**k me!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't TCAS work in pairs? as in, if the smaller of the 2 aircraft didn't have it fitted (which it didn't in this case), the TCAS in the larger plane won't react? or does it react to radar contacts?

F**k me!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't TCAS work in pairs? as in, if the smaller of the 2 aircraft didn't have it fitted (which it didn't in this case), the TCAS in the larger plane won't react? or does it react to radar contacts?

if you have TCAS on both planes, you will have resolution advisory, as in, it will tell exactly what to do to both pilots. If only one has TCAS, it will receive the transponder signals from other planes and give you a traffic advisory - it will tell you the traffic is there, but wont tell you how to avoid it.

If you are in Class G airspace, you are not required to have a transponder - many light aircraft either don't have them completely or have them in-operational.. thus shooting through class G airspace in high speed relying on TCAS is absolutely stupid and reckless

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That section of airspace in the South East of the UK is very congested, I did a lot of my Multi Engine training in that part of the world, and over a 9 month period, we had 3 close encounters at various times.

One was close, Midhurst VOR doing practise holds, we ended up 150 Ft from an opposite direction BAC1-11 that was operating on the 2500 Ft base of the TMA, ATC mistake, the controller that routed it through on the base had selectively suppressed some transponder returns, so he didn't see us operating completely legally at 2400 Ft, and put the 1-11 over the top of us at 2500Ft. We were warned very late by the radar service that was monitoring us (way before TCAS), and able to take suitable avoiding action, but it was a graphic illustration of how easily things can go wrong. The TMA controller did subsequently contact my instructor and apologise for his mistake, which helped.

During ILS training at Lydd, we were flying the approach pattern at 1500 Ft in marginal weather, in communication with the controller, and had a warning about a possible conflict with an aircraft that was en route to Biggin Hill at 1500 Ft after crossing the channel. We saw it, popped out of a cloud about 200 metres in front of us, and carried on his way without even seeing us, or communicating with the airfield who's approach he'd violated, in theory in VFR, in practise, he wasn't VFR or clear of cloud. He was "spoken to" by the ATC at his arrival airfield.

Third was over Goodwood VOR, always a pressure point due to the base of the TMA, a lot of VFR traffic operates at 2000 Ft as a result, we were warned about opposite direction traffic, and adjusted our height to give us some comfort space, and he never even saw us or acknowledged the warning from the controller. We'd dropped to 1900 Ft as a precaution, and it was just as well we did, at 2000 Ft it would have been very close indeed, and the TC was capable of cruising at anything between 160 and 200 Kts depending on what you were doing, so at higher speeds, you didn't have long to see, recognise and avoid other traffic.

It was an interesting period of time, and one that did a lot to encourage me to use whatever ATC services were available even if it did increase the workload a little. A higher workload was preferable to an in flight collision! The advent of TCAS has very much changed the risks in that area, but at that time, the risk of collision in Class G airspace was a serious issue.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Remember the first time that i flew into Farnborough in a G4, we routed overhead MID VOR from the south, next thing we knew what ATC telling us descend to 2000 feet, radar service terminated, contact FAB...... we were happily doing 250 KCAS below 10,000 feet and were quite shocked to be told that we were now supposed to "look and see". I really wasn't impressed and it was the first time that I had ever flown this jet outside controlled airspace without radio communication with other traffic. Once only has to look at the Phenom crash in Blackbushe to see that this sort of traffic mixing was stupid.
    It was the same on the way out, we had to climb outside controlled airspace pending permission to enter.
    I believe that the procedures have changed due to the number of aircraft that were "surprised" by this little ATC procedure.
    Also if you look at Jeppesen 10-2A, it states MAX SPEED 250, reducing to 220.

it's this bit there that shocks me -

At 1326:30 the pilot of the C525 had requested to leave controlled airspace and route direct to
    Biggin Hill whilst still with Swanwick Area Control (AC).
    (..)
    Some members wondered whether the
    Swanwick controller should have offered to transfer the C525 pilot to Farnborough Radar rather than
    London FIS but controlling members pointed out that the decision to deviate from the planned route
    and operate outside controlled airspace with London FIS would have been the C525 pilot’s, and this
    was probably something that he would regularly do to save time and fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

http://avherald.com/h?article=4accb6aa&opt=0

This is bananas, how it didn't occur to anyone to yell "GO AROUND" is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lustrum wrote: »
    http://avherald.com/h?article=4accb6aa&opt=0

This is bananas, how it didn't occur to anyone to yell "GO AROUND" is beyond me

"The controller then cleared the ATR for take off"
    After it had been struck by a 737!!

Unbelievable Jeff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Awful performance by the controller, but then also by the second guy who took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Whatever about not challenging the incomplete readback of the ATR, you've been told there may be debris on the runway, and you ignore it. Negligence of the highest order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

@gamebred, you might be extremely surprised at how often this type of thing happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

smurfjed wrote: »
    @gamebred, you might be extremely surprised at how often this type of thing happens.

presume guilty party is guaranteed the sack?

• Advertisement

Hopefully not as it goes against the concept of SMS. If someone hits something and hides the fact based on the fear of getting sacked, its worse then admitting the fact and allowing people to check the damage.
    We had an aircraft hit two weeks ago in Cairo, the driver of the car ran away:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Gamebred wrote: »
    smurfjed wrote: »

presume guilty party is guaranteed the sack?
    Why should they, they might not be at fault. It could be lack of ground markings, or poor training etc could be 100 reasons for it. If there's one particularly carefree employee who's not following procedures and taking risks then I'd expect they get brought into the office and given warnings first, then if necessary demoted or fired if attitude doesn't change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

How can a Front wheel fall off a plane
    Ryanair plane forced to make emergency landing after losing front wheel after take-off
    The flight from London Stansted to Copenhagen had to land at East Midlands Airport this morning at around 9.15am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ryanair-plane-forced-make-emergency-11177405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Gamebred wrote: »

How this happens is beyond me, especially in a tiddly winker of a yolk with a limited wing span.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My reading of that is probably pilot error but we'll keep digging just in case we find anything .

"The N1 required to achieve the required takeoff performance was 93.3% but 81.5% was used instead. Independent assessments by the AAIB and operator showed that the only credible way for this to have happened was for an error to have been made whilst entering the OAT into the FMC..... The investigation will consider how such a data entry error could have been made, and whether actual aircraft performance matched that which would be expected given the N1 power setting used."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Anyone else hear about the incident at Belfast International in May that's just come out?

737 barely lifted off the end of the runway with tyres knocking over a 35cm high light 29m beyond the end of the runway. Crew ****ed off to Crete and stayed schtum about it.

They are alleged to have entered wrong temperature data into the FMC and took off majorly under powered.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ac18a5b

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Walt Grace

Hey all....first time poster here.

Was on a Ryanair flight from Warsaw to Dublin yesterday afternoon and what at first I thought was a drone (my second thought was a missile) flew within 10/15 meters under the wing of the plane.
    This was about an hour into the flight so we were up at cruising altitude if that would make a difference to what exactly it was.
    Anyone ever experiences something like this before? Or is there any way of finding out what this was?!

Was pretty freaked out by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

North Korea up to their antics again :)

From experience, I'd suggest that it was just a plane a few thousand feet below you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Probably another aircraft in the cruise a thousand feet below. Completely normal, safe, and common occurrence.

Advertisement