Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED: Buses not to be banned from College Green

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Tow

Once you see the name Owen Keegan, you know it is just pie in the sky.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This will not happen - the impact on bus routes would be far too negative.

Someone needs to remind Owen Keegan that far more people use the buses that go through College Green than the Green Line will ever carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Does this mean the Gardaí will be handing out on the spot fines to bus drivers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This has been an obvious problem ever since cross city luas was mooted. Why is this being discussed only now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

hmmm wrote: »
    This has been an obvious problem ever since cross city luas was mooted. Why is this being discussed only now?

Because Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Keegan was just on Newstalk. He confirmed that buses that currently use College Green will still use that corridor.

But those buses for example -that were diverted around Pearse Street instead of down Nassau/Suffolk Streets may not be returned to their original routes.

At least that is what I got from what he said. So maybe things are not as bad as first glance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

A badly written article from the Irish times designed to grab attention because f all else is happening this week.

It's fairly obvious buses won't be able to return to the Dawson St/ Nassau St turn so its about finding another way to route them if possible to them return to Suffolk street, if not they will continue as present down Westland row.

The only surprising thing is that a full plan wasn't developed before this got the go ahead, its a bit late in the day to be working out possible re routing of bus routes.

What annoys me is that a full plan outlining the changes to bus routes wasn't a requirement at the Bord Pleanála hearings.

Given the impact this could have on journey times it should have been a requirement at the time rather than as an afterthought.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

lxflyer wrote: »
    What annoys me is that a full plan outlining the changes to bus routes wasn't a requirement at the Bord Plean la hearings.

Given the impact this could have on journey times it should have been a requirement at the time rather than as an afterthought.

Exactly. The planning hearing should have included the final or near final street layouts too -- you can't judge how access, walking, cycling, buses, parking etc will be affected until you get to that stage.
    Keegan was just on Newstalk. He confirmed that buses that currently use College Green will still use that corridor.

But those buses for example -that were diverted around Pearse Street instead of down Nassau/Suffolk Streets may not be returned to their original routes.

At least that is what I got from what he said. So maybe things are not as bad as first glance?

Thanks for posting that.
    hmmm wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

Because the RPA were allowed to stay hush hush on the impact of Luas cross city.
    Yakuza wrote: »
    Proposing to ban cars and taxis from there 24/7 is sheer madness, and now they want to add buses into the mix?

How do you think cars, trams, buses, bicycles and people on foot we're going to fit in the pinch points?

• Advertisement

I wonder also, if Westbound buses that currently take a right into Westmoreland Street (thus crossing the new Luas tracks) and then up the South Quays would use Tara Street and Burgh Quay instead?

That would surely ease some congestion. The sheer number of buses on Westmoreland Street - DB, Airport coaches etc. is a sight to behold.

Just throwing it out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Because Ireland

Accurate enough !

Owen Keegan is one of those administrators whose name just keeps on surfacing......usually with very little to actually contribute,other than wild-eyed madness....(See the cuurrent tumbleweed'd state of Dun Laoighre for confirmation).

Yet again,a Senior DCC official aided and abetted by a compliant Irish Times,gets away with ignoring the very basic issue surounding ALL modes of Public Transport (INCLUDING Owen's very own Dublin Cycles) in the City.

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR THE CURRENT LEVEL OF ACCESS,AND THROUGHPUT,FOR PRIVATE MOTOR VEHICLES IN THE CITY-CENTRE.

Mr Keegan chooses to ignore,and is not questioned on,the issue of Multi-Storey Car Parks within the Inner Canal Ring.

He,and his "Professional" advisers can use all of the crayons,paper and post-it's they like,but unless they address the Multi-Storey Car Park issue,then ALL Public Transport based solutions for Dublin City-Centre will remain hugely compromised and doomed to limp-along failure.

Arnotts.
    Ilac
    Marlborough Street
    Jervis Street
    Irish Life Centre
    Parnell Centre
    Setanta
    Brown Thomas
    Dawson Street........

ALL of which MUST have full access maintained no matter what...Owen Keegan and his DCC know damn well the noose the Car Park Operators have around Dublin City Centtre's neck,and these guys will not be slow about tightening it,with the full backing of the Courts,should Owen or any of his pals threaten their "Livelyhoods"......(Loosley translated as Licence to print Money).

Until DCC is prepared to come clean in public about this problem,then they should STFU !!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I wonder also, if Westbound buses that currently take a right into Westmoreland Street (thus crossing the new Luas tracks) and then up the South Quays would use Tara Street and Burgh Quay instead?

That would surely ease some congestion. The sheer number of buses on Westmoreland Street - DB, Airport coaches etc. is a sight to behold.

Just throwing it out anyway.

Very True....and dont forget the maintenance of "access" to The Temple Bar multi-storey while yer there .... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

The majority of graphics published on the Luas Cross City twitter account seem to related to how to get to Car Parks, shows where the priorities lie on the biggest public transport infrastructure project.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Very True....and dont forget the maintenance of "access" to The Temple Bar multi-storey while yer there .... ;)

I think cars are being stopped from going any further down Dame Street than Anglesea Street anyway, so if they reverse the one way down Fleet Street, job sorted for access to TB car park.

I think cars are being stopped from going any further down Dame Street than Anglesea Street anyway, so if they reverse the one way down Fleet Street, job sorted for access to TB car park.

I love an Optimist :D:D:D

393 spaces @ €3.20 per space-per hour,open 24 hours...all in all a nice little earner ?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I love an Optimist :D:D:D

393 spaces @ €3.20 per space-per hour,open 24 hours...all in all a nice little earner ?

Ya have to be pragmatic sometimes, lol.... and at least this will stop cars needing to go down Westmoreland Street to access the car park. But I'm not sure if that drastic action is in "The Plan". But I sure hope it is.

Anyone know if cars are to be banned from Westmoreland Street. The online information is patchy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

lxflyer wrote: »
    What annoys me is that a full plan outlining the changes to bus routes wasn't a requirement at the Bord Pleanála hearings.

It really is hard to understand.

Take the 46a northbound as an example, it potentially will need to cross the Luas tracks at Stephen's Green, the bottom of Dawson Street, Pearse Sreeet Garda Station, Westmoreland Street, O'Connell Street (red line) and finally at Parnell Square. That's 6 points with priority for frequent trams which have the potential to add extra time to the bus route. There will also be additional pedestrian crossings along these stretches which will add delays.

Dublin City Council seriously need to improve bus travel in Dublin. It's all very well having a good QBC running along the N11 but it means nothing if passengers have to endure a winding tour of the city centre just to get across the town. Bus passenger numbers are rising and the fleet is increasing in size. Every effort needs to be made to make bus travel attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

KD345 wrote: »
    Dublin City Council seriously need to improve bus travel in Dublin. It's all very well having a good QBC running along the N11 but it means nothing if passengers have to endure a winding tour of the city centre just to get across the town. Bus passenger numbers are rising and the fleet is increasing in size. Every effort needs to be made to make bus travel attractive.

It's just desk chairs on the Titanic, bus based system is wildly insufficient in the city this size, especially with its narrow historical layout, two pitiful tram lines nothwithstanding. It's like wanting to change the laws of physics - there's no space on the surface!

Nothing will change until a proper underground system is created between the canals and possibly beyond. Until then it's just pointless squabbling...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

monument wrote: »
    How do you think cars, trams, buses, bicycles and people on foot were going to fit in the pinch points?

Firstly, thanks to you and the other posters that clarified the article and linked to the newstalk podcast, I'm out of the country at the moment with sporadic access to the internet (and none to Irish radio).

I'd have no issue with the banning of private cars from Mon-Fri between 0700 and 1900 that currently exists, were it persist into the future, but a blanket 24/7 ban (even extended to buses and taxis) in the area would be unnecessarily draconian in my opinion. I often pass through there in my car during the wee hours, I prefer it to the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't see the point in banning cars 24/7 when the luas is not a 24 hour service and Dublin doesn't have a 24 bus service for some reason.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Don't see the point in banning cars 24/7 when the luas is not a 24 hour service and Dublin doesn't have a 24 bus service for some reason.

There are lots of buslanes throughout Dublin that have 24 hr restriction. Even though buses finish in the main at midnight or thereabouts and don't start until 630.am or so.

It is prepping. Getting people used to the idea that the city centre is for PT, cyclists and pedestrians.

You know, those who have been neglected for SO LONG now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Owen Keegan must be jealous of John Tierney's infamy...

Regarding Alek's point on car parks, until the Leinster house car park situation is resolved, the govt will not take pt seriously

The planning board are a joke too for not imposing conditions for traffic management at this junction. They were too concerned about the second stop on Dawson st to notice I presume

Owen Keegan must be jealous of John Tierney's infamy...

Regarding Alek's point on car parks, until the Leinster house car park situation is resolved, the govt will not take pt seriously

The planning board are a joke too for not imposing conditions for traffic management at this junction. They were too concerned about the second stop on Dawson st to notice I presume

Ah that's all irish WATER under the bridge anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Why do all our buses have to pass through the city centre anyway. This is a very good reflection of our chaotic bus route system which could do with an update.
    http://youtu.be/KVjkFq-7Y6A

Seesee wrote: »
    Why do all our buses have to pass through the city centre anyway. This is a very good reflection of our chaotic bus route system which could do with an update.
    http://youtu.be/KVjkFq-7Y6A

Bizarrely that's where people actually want to go to. Without an underground rail network, the bus routes still remain the principal form of public transport in and out of the city and as such need to serve the city centre.

We've just had an overhaul of the bus network with the Network Direct project - the Minister has already indicated that attention will focus on developing orbital bus routes that don't serve the city centre in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Agreed. How are you supposed to get around after 12 in the city of they go ahead with an all out ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tow wrote: »
    Once you see the name Owen Keegan, you know it is just pie in the sky.

It was such an idiotic comment that I assume it must have eliminated what little credibility he had left. If it is the case that the frequency of the cross city Luas will impact this badly on cross city buses then it should have been properly considered at the planning stage to commence diversions of affected routes now before the laying of tracks - realistically it should have been sorted before any of the works started. Indeed it may have been fully considered in which case he is even worse than I thought, is uninformed about one of the most disruptive projects in HIS city!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There is limited need outside the operational hours; it should be lifted for access and/or deliveries. Otherwise, the best way to educate is to exclude completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Because Ireland

Yeah...we never get stupidity from our authorities in the UK (Southern England specifically), everything is swell :):)

Advertisement