Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you find Mrs Brown's Boys funny..yes or no ??

• 03-12-2015 9:07am
    Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Awful ****e.

Am I in the minority in thinking this is absolutely awful tv?

do you find mrs brown's boys funny.. yes or no ?? 91 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 91 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Awful ****e.

Nope but the english are stupid enough to like it so fair play to brendan, its garbage but hes found someone stupid enough to sell it to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Awful ****e.

I'd sooner have electrodes attached to my testicle and be flogged with a knotted rope than watch it.
    Can't understand its popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

My mother and my aunt's reactions to this show is what I love, never seen such fits of laughter in my life, neither one of them can even breathe right when watchin it, they find it so hilarious. It's a mystery to me, but I love how happy it makes them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I despise it really but its popular enough to warrant 3 shows over the festive period and has had a few stage runs too so it clearly appeals to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Won't bother me as I won't be watching it no matter when it's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Mrs Brown D Movie is on too. Ughhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Amazingfun wrote: »
    My mother and my aunt's reactions to this show is what I love, never seen such fits of laughter in my life, neither one of them can even breathe right when watchin it, they find it so hilarious. It's a mystery to me, but I love how happy it makes them :)

Same here. I don't get it at all, but don't mind if it's on if my dad's over. Very few things make him laugh so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

My kid loves it, got me watching it. The more I watch it the more I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Awful ****e.

On the Internet 99.9999% of people agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The British like that sort of slapstick comedy.
    If it was anybody else but O'Carroll I might even watch it to see what it was like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Not my cup of tea but nothing wrong with it either. Fair play to BOC for making such a success of it. It's knockabout comedy in the music hall tradition. There's a huge amount of snobbery around the show - people lining up to prove their intellectual superiority by how much they hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What's the alternative Willy wonka and the wizard of fcukin oz!!! It is what it is, don't over think it ffs. People who grew up watching O Carroll seem to hate it as alot of the jokes are repeated but other generations who don't know him love the show. Personally I would rather watch this then the other tripe oo nn over Xmas.

Some people say the same thing about Father Ted not everyone's cup of tea.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

It's an ode/interpretation of the slapstick double-entendre innuendo tradition of the classic Carry On formula.
    It is what it is in an unpretentious way. In that vein it has been a huge success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What's the alternative Willy wonka and the wizard of fcukin oz!!! It is what it is, don't over think it ffs. People who grew up watching O Carroll seem to hate it as alot of the jokes are repeated but other generations who don't know him love the show. Personally I would rather watch this then the other tripe oo nn over Xmas.

Some people say the same thing about Father Ted not everyone's cup of tea.....

Don't knock Willy Wonka.Unless it's Depp's paedo version.You can knock that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

It's bottom of the barrel crap, don't get its popularity, and not just in the UK, think it's big in Australia too ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

It has its its market, it knows its market- well done BOC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Is it going to be the same fecking episode shown 3 days? Ould ones love it thats why it's popular and that's it's market. I can tolerate it but I couldn't watch a whole movie of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I've gotten a few laughs out of it, if I'm not in the humour I won't tune in

Doctor- We will need a sample of his stool and urine
    Granddad- What did he say?
    Mrs Brown- He needs a pair of your underpants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's terrible, and although I've never been able to watch more than a minute of the programme in one sitting, I did buy a 'sound' Mrs Brown birthday card for my mother this year. It uttered some cheap, harmless, unfunny expletives; absolutely hilarious! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lobotomy TV

Lobotomy TV

No, just a wilfully silly comedy which doesn't take itself too seriously. Not my style but it's not claiming to be anything other than what it is. There's far worse stuff on TV tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If only Caroline Ahern would rescue us from this muck and give us 4 episodes of The Royale Family...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Menas wrote: »
    If only Caroline Ahern would rescue us from this muck and give us 4 episodes of The Royale Family...

The last few episodes of the Royle Family have been dire.

Custardpi wrote: »
    No, just a wilfully silly comedy which doesn't take itself too seriously. Not my style but it's not claiming to be anything other than what it is. There's far worse stuff on TV tbh.
    I know it dosnt make any claims that it's high brow, well written, well acted or takes itself seriously. And yes there are worse things on TV. That dosnt stop it from being appalling garbage best suited to those who have given up on life.

keano_afc wrote: »

A dire Royale Famile episode is 100 times better than the best Mrs Brown Boys episode!!

I know it dosnt make any claims that it's high brow, well written, well acted or takes itself seriously. And yes there are worse things on TV. That dosnt stop it from being appalling garbage best suited to those who have given up on life.

Appallingly judgemental nonsense. It's perfectly possible to be intelligent, hardworking etc & also enjoy silly "low-brow" humour. Nothing wrong with switching your brain off for a while to relax. I suppose your entertainment consists mainly of reading Tolstoy & watching obscure arthouse films.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't like it, I don't watch it, it doesn't bother me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just as well there's an endless supply of other TV and films I can watch at the specific times this 'orrible show is on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

keano_afc wrote: »

The new characters they brought in were really weak.

Hey look at us - we wear blue jumpers! Ugh - boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What's the alternative Willy wonka and the wizard of fcukin oz!!!

Only one option....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFmgjwptic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Comedy is always going to be divisive. I for one cannot stand Frankie Boyle and yet he has some very stout defenders.
    End of the day, if it makes you laugh, if it isn't to the detriment of another person then where is the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I watched a bit of it and all I saw was paddywhackery on steroids and stage Irish men/women. No wonder the English love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A dire Royale Famile episode is 100 times better than the best Mrs Brown Boys episode!!

What was the The Royale Family? Did they order burgers in Pulp Fiction?

If you mean The Royle Family, it used to be amazing but when the last few Christmas specials were dreadful and no better than Mrs Brown's Boys.

Last good Royle Family was the "Queen of Sheeba" Christmas special and should have stopped there.

murpho999 wrote: »

If you mean The Royle Family, it used to be amazing but when the last few Christmas specials were dreadful and no better than Mrs Brown's Boys.

Last good Royle Family was the "Queen of Sheeba" Christmas special and should have stopped there.

Now now, spelling mistakes are allowed in here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

It really does seem to appeal to the "older generation". My MIL absolutely pi$$e$ herself.

Personally I can't watch it. Bring back Morcombe and Wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Awful ****e.

I'd sooner have electrodes attached to my testicle and be flogged with a knotted rope than watch it.
    Can't understand its popularity
    gazzer wrote: »
    Mrs Brown D Movie is on too. Ughhhhhh.

Ye should organise a protest, lads.

You'll have my support. Passive and tacit support, obviously. I won't get 'involved', as such, beyond my usual not really being aware of the show until an 'isn't it awful' thread appears on here, and continuing to not watch it in a live and let live kinda way.

TV's not compulsory. Even if it was, sure there's loads of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

murpho999 wrote: »

totally agree, the Christmas episodes with Dave's parents, the Egg Cup thing were all a lesson in ending a show when it is still good

Personally I feel starved of good tv shows in the last 10 years. I will still watch reruns of The Thin Blue Line, The Royle Family, Father Ted, BlackAdder, Only Fools & The Vicar of Dibley.....other than that The Inbetweeners and Mrs Browns are the only thing I've gotten a chuckle out of in years

I simply don't find IT Crowd, Black Books, anything with Mitchell & Webb funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

As someone over on the film forum said

"I'd rather stick my face in a bowl of acid then subject myself to that shyte"

or similar ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Fair play and well done to Brendan. He's working in a job he loves has employed his whole family and made loads of money. He makes people laugh and be happy. Delighted to see him do so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

What's the alternative Willy wonka and the wizard of fcukin oz!!!

Well yeah, actually those would be better options. They are classics for a reason.

Fair play and well done to Brendan. He's working in a job he loves has employed his whole family and made loads of money. He makes people laugh and be happy. Delighted to see him do so well.

I agree with every word of this.

Mrs. Brown's Boys is still crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

totally agree, the Christmas episodes with Dave's parents, the Egg Cup thing were all a lesson in ending a show when it is still good

Personally I feel starved of good tv shows in the last 10 years. I will still watch reruns of The Thin Blue Line, The Royle Family, Father Ted, BlackAdder, Only Fools & The Vicar of Dibley.....other than that The Inbetweeners and Mrs Browns are the only thing I've gotten a chuckle out of in years

I simply don't find IT Crowd, Black Books, anything with Mitchell & Webb funny

Jesus thats bleak. Can brighten it up with always sunny. Some bobs burgers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I never have, and I never will. Plenty of other stuff to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I don't like the humour , But I commend Brendan for donating 2000 Christmas dinners to the homeless here in Ireland. It makes me smile that he makes other's smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I never have, and I never will. Plenty of other stuff to watch.

How do you know you won't like it?

I don't like the humour , But I commend Brendan for donating 2000 Christmas dinners to the homeless here in Ireland. It makes me smile that he makes other's smile.

He does seem to be a genuinely decent person.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Appallingly judgemental nonsense. It's perfectly possible to be intelligent, hardworking etc & also enjoy silly "low-brow" humour. Nothing wrong with switching your brain off for a while to relax. I suppose your entertainment consists mainly of reading Tolstoy & watching obscure arthouse films.
    I've no problem with low brow humour but it can be well executed and engaging at the same time. Mrs B's Bs is neither. Total rubbish, a cringefest.

Really can't understand why they don't have 6 hours of Stewart Lee on Christmas Day instead of Mrs Brown's Boys. He's so meta.

I would watch a Stewart Lee Christmas special in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ultimately, Mrs.Browns Boys is lowest common denominator humour, recycled old jokes, see-the-punchline-a-mile-away, and 'wacky' for the sake of it.

But a lot of people like it, a lot of people watch it together, and even though I normally don't watch it or that type of comedy, I'll watch these with my family on Xmas for the fun of the occasion and seeing my parents laugh rather than because I find the show funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement