Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you find Mrs Brown's Boys funny..yes or no ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

fryup wrote: »
    Alright lets get this out of the way once and for all...very simple question..do you find mrs brown's boys funny.. yes or no ??

Yes. It's not "laugh out loud" funny or whatever, it just doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's my kind of sense of humour - so utterly ridiculous that you can't help but wonder what planet are they on! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I used to detest it, for no good reason as I'd never really watched it.

I sat down to watch it one night, and yes I now find it very funny.

I suspect those who mock it & detest it like I did just haven't bothered to watch it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH the odd joke hits home for me, but generally not so much. At the complete opposite of the scale I'd say the same for someone like Stewart Lee. I suppose I'm not the audience for either, but I can certainly see why their audiences exist and like them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I used to detest it, for no good reason as I'd never really watched it.

I sat down to watch it one night, and yes I now find it very funny.

Exactly this for me too.

I find it absolutely hilarious. Doubled up laughing at times, and it was something I would have turned my nose up at a until I'd watched it a couple of times.

There was a thread on this very recently. Will see if I can find it and merge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I find the same with Days of Our Lives. Just give it a chance people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't watch it often but when i do i like to try and spot when the old joke will be trotted out. When i see a scene being played out i often say to the other half " i bet he'll use the old joke about ....... now ". I'm usually right.
    The scenes are written around the jokes rather than visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Can I get a hell no?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No but then I am not the target audience.

lertsnim wrote: »
    No but then I am not the target audience.

Neither am I - yet >.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Again, the odd joke would raise a cackle, but generally it's bilge imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Nope. Ive known a few people who thought it was tripe as well until it became big in Britain, then all of a sudden it was brilliant in their eyes...imo that was "a proud to be Irish" reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Asking adults that question is like asking ten year olds if they'd like to try kissing, they won't admit it for another couple of years at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No,but my folks and grandparents love it, that's who it is aimed at. They wouldn't like or get comedy I like. My mam watched the IT Crowd with me one night stoney faced as I cried laughing, it's just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Asking adults that question is like asking ten year olds if they'd like to try kissing, they won't admit it for another couple of years at least.

Would you ask many 10 year olds that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I went to the movie because it was free and I was in Dublin with 2 hours to kill. Ready to at least be with an audience who were into it and see what everyone found so funny, they all just sat there silently for 90 minutes. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

pc7 wrote: »
    No,but my folks and grandparents love it, that's who it is aimed at. They wouldn't like or get comedy I like. My mam watched the IT Crowd with me one night stoney faced as I cried laughing, it's just one of those things.

Exactly. The "turning it off and on again" thing wouldn't be seen as a joke by many, more a perfectly good piece of technical troubleshooting that they would never have thought of. How would that be funny! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nope but the english are stupid enough to like it so fair play to brendan, its garbage but hes found someone stupid enough to sell it to

ah come now, it tops the ratings in this country too :cool:

e_e wrote: »
    I went to the movie because it was free and I was in Dublin with 2 hours to kill. Ready to at least be with an audience who were into it and see what everyone found so funny, they all just sat there silently for 90 minutes. :confused:

As someone who actually really enjoys the show, I thought the movie was abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I made a conscious decision to watch a few shows because i couldn't understand its popularity, and i now find the half hour shows quite funny in a slapstick way, especially the ad libs. However I made the mistake of watching the movie a couple of nights ago.
    Truly dreadful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

marketty wrote: »
    Would you ask many 10 year olds that?

All the time. Have you never winded up a ten year old? Like satthey're going to a wedding and you tell them they have to dance with all the boys/girls and give them a kiss, and they go Ewwwwww that's disgusting!

You get the same reaction here to Mrs. Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Its one of those shows when you land on the station you cant move it on quick enough.

Painful garbage.

As someone who actually really enjoys the show, I thought the movie was abysmal.

dressing up as a chinaman doing the whole squinty eyed & accent routine was quite simply....galling :o

i just couldn't believe my eyes what i was watching, and this passes as comedy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What's the alternative Willy wonka and the wizard of fcukin oz!!! It is what it is, don't over think it ffs.

use your imagination
    read a book, download a documentary, listen to music.
    there are always alternatives to the mind-numbing drivel and advertising that is forced upon us when we switch on the TV most evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I know it dosnt make any claims that it's high brow, well written, well acted or takes itself seriously. And yes there are worse things on TV. That dosnt stop it from being appalling garbage best suited to those who have given up on life.
    You can thank the stupidity of the average Irish person for the popularity of this show. Unfortunatly there's too many people out there with no concept of quality.
    If I saw somebody sticking their head into a cowpat and rubbing the shit all over their face while giggling like a toddler I would happily assume that they were in fact, stupid. I assume you would not have a problem with that? I mean, rolling in shit is objectively not much fun at all and although people are allowed to enjoy whatever they want, still I would say that cowpat diving would be the action of a very stupid person.

Well, that show is the entertainment equivalent of a nasty wet cowpat. So although people can like what they want, I'm just going to go ahead and make a judgement about the intelligence of those who do so.
    I'd also make a similar judgement towards people who find Lee Evans funny. He and Mrs. Brown Boys truly are the cesspit of comedy
    Only simpletons find it funny

Oh, FFS! Are you lot for real? Get off those pedestals.

I'm in my mid 40s. I don't know if that puts me in the "oldie" category or not. I like MBB. It makes me laugh most of the time. Sometimes it makes me cringe, but so did Faulty Towers, Only Fools and Horses etc.

Bottom line, it's tongue-in-cheek slapstick comedy. Feel free to like or dislike it as you see fit. As far as I'm concerned, BOC is a funny, clever & generous man. I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to put him down. I seriously doubt any of the posters above have done as much for charities or their own families as BOC has done.

You're all slagging me off because I like MBB? Well, that says more about you lot than it does about me. Name calling is what kids do in the school playground. I grew out of that a long time ago. I haven't given up on life. I have a great life. I'm intelligent & very well educated. I'm certainly no simpleton. I appreciate quality. I also appreciate diversity. I appreciate that people have different tastes.

I like BOC, but I also like Frankie Boyle & Tommy Tiernan. As it happens, I also prefer MBB to Father Ted. I also like Midleton Whiskey, but that doesn't preclude me from liking chocolate milkshakes.

I'd sooner have broad tastes than a narrow mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am not a big fan of wast majority of sitcoms, I find MBB worse than most. I also don't like majority of stand up comedy. I'm just miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

No. It's abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Not for me - and that's fine, I can change the channel.

Not sure which crowd is more annoying: the "You're only saying you hate it to look cool" crowd or the "Everyone who likes it is a simpleton" crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Azalea wrote: »
    Not sure which crowd is more annoying: the "You're only saying you hate it to look cool" crowd or the "Everyone who likes it is a simpleton" crowd.

They're both more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I prefer Give My Head Peace, also a show that divides people on whether it's funny or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Oh, FFS! Are you lot for real? Get off those pedestals.

I'm in my mid 40s. I don't know if that puts me in the "oldie" category or not. I like MBB. It makes me laugh most of the time. Sometimes it makes me cringe, but so did Faulty Towers, Only Fools and Horses etc.

Bottom line, it's tongue-in-cheek slapstick comedy. Feel free to like or dislike it as you see fit. As far as I'm concerned, BOC is a funny, clever & generous man. I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to put him down. I seriously doubt any of the posters above have done as much for charities or their own families as BOC has done.

You're all slagging me off because I like MBB? Well, that says more about you lot than it does about me. Name calling is what kids do in the school playground. I grew out of that a long time ago. I haven't given up on life. I have a great life. I'm intelligent & very well educated. I'm certainly no simpleton. I appreciate quality. I also appreciate diversity. I appreciate that people have different tastes.

I like BOC, but I also like Frankie Boyle & Tommy Tiernan. As it happens, I also prefer MBB to Father Ted. I also like Midleton Whiskey, but that doesn't preclude me from liking chocolate milkshakes.

I'd sooner have broad tastes than a narrow mind.

You're mixing things up now. None of the highlighted bit above, has anything to do with the quality of the show. It's an irrelevance. If you are as intelligent and educated as you say; you'd know that.

• Advertisement

My granny watched a dvd of the movie yesterday, and she laughed her head off. She's a Dublin woman though, and some of the characters remind her of people she knew, or still knows. Anyone who wants to call my Gran stupid is going to have to deal with me.

Of all the things to assert an intellectual superiority over though, taste in sitcoms is pretty petty and ridiculous. Having different taste doesn't make you better, it only makes you different.

As an aside, I was at a drinks thing once and in the corner were two very learned gentlemen who were renowned and recognizable in their different fields, both with hundreds of publications to their names and one with several popular books published for a general audience, and they were arguing about something very animatedly. Turns out it was who they wanted to win Americas Got Talent. Thickos both of them, obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

It's really funny, anyone who doesn't like it is a begruder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

There are some very funny moments in it and I'd say I've watched maybe 4 episodes in total, but I couldn't watch it every week or a complete series.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's really funny, anyone who doesn't like it is a begruder.

False, and also false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I hated the radio show and despised the idea of a TV show but recently having seen it for the first time can see why it's so popular.
    It's Panto humour, vaudaville. So many comedy shows are laugh tracked and slick but the loose messing around of MBB is actually good fun, you can see the actors struggling against the giggles which is funny in itself.
    The jokes are muck but it the messing but the live relaxed nature of thing is what's refreshing. While away for years it was that not taking things too seriously aspect of Ireland I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Trekker09

The film was embarrassing, the series a tad less so but I dislike BOC and can't stand it, it's too contrived

catbear wrote: »
    So many comedy shows are laugh tracked and slick but the loose messing around of MBB is actually good fun, you can see the actors struggling against the giggles which is funny in itself.

its all fake, even the "bloopers" are fake and pre-rehearsed.. its plain to see

Candie wrote: »

As an aside, I was at a drinks thing once and in the corner were two very learned gentlemen who were renowned and recognizable in their different fields, both with hundreds of publications to their names and one with several popular books published for a general audience, and they were arguing about something very animatedly. Turns out it was who they wanted to win Americas Got Talent. Thickos both of them, obviously.

amusing anecdote

probably made-up

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't knock Willy Wonka.Unless it's Depp's paedo version.You can knock that.

Help. police. murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The first episode I ever watched I thought was very funny. Everything I've seen since then was crap. The film was the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Father Ted has a certain charm to it that gives it a wide appeal across the masses...but this MBB is just crude for the sake of being crude its comedy at its lowest-common-denominator

in short.. its the comedy equivalent of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Nope. Ive known a few people who thought it was tripe as well until it became big in Britain, then all of a sudden it was brilliant in their eyes...imo that was "a proud to be Irish" reaction.

I actually think this is a big part of it. Of course it won't be admitted by even serious commentators but it is.

philstar wrote: »
    Father Ted has a certain charm to it that gives it a wide appeal across the masses...but this MBB is just crude for the sake of being crude its comedy at its lowest-common-denominator

in short.. its the comedy equivalent of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut

the sledgehammer will at least succeed
    MBB will not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Better than Michael McIntyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Usernemises

No, watched it a couple of times, never found it funny. Not even near being in the same league as father ted IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Kev W wrote: »
    I would watch a Stewart Lee Christmas special in a heartbeat.

He's no Tom O' Connor in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Neither am I - yet >.>

Nor me :o

And I used to hate it but now I get the odd giggle and its funny when the golden oldies start shrieking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I don't think it's remotely funny.

Anyone comparing it to Faulty Towers or Only Fools are mad. They were brilliantly written, well acted sitcoms. MBB is neither.

Advertisement