Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you find Mrs Brown's Boys funny..yes or no ??

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Have you spoken to Brendan about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What an original thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its frivolous nonsense for the moronic classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lost in cork

sorry havent been on here in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Morrissey

Not only is the show a throwback to seventies television, they even recycle jokes from seventies television. In the Christmas programme there was a lederhosen dancing scene similar to a scene from Are You Being Served. In this episode was also a joke identical to something said by Karl Pilkington on one of the XFM radio show years ago.

When Brendan O'Caroll was on QI his first contribution was a joke from Viz from the early nineties. This was a Top Tip about buying your clothes back from charity shops that had been in Viz and then afterwards was allegedly plagiarised by MacDonalds in one of their advertising campaigns. Viz considered suing them.
    'The worst thing is that our readers have written to us to complain as they think we've flogged (sold) the ideas to McDonald's for thousands of pounds,' said Viz editor Chris Donald. He said lawyers acting for McDonald's claimed the company's advertising campaign was based on original ideas and not on jokes from Viz. However, one Viz joke suggested saving on laundry bills by giving clothes away to Oxfam, a charity, which would wash and iron them and then put them on sale for only 50 pence (75 cents). The McDonald's version was exactly the same except for substituting a second-hand shop for Oxfam.

So he recycles things that have already been recycled. Can't get any more derivative than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Morrissey wrote: »

So he recycles things that have already been recycled. Can't get any more derivative than that.

As long as he doesnt recycle condoms

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some will tell you humour is relative,it's not.Mrs. Brown is a pile of stinking horse doings and those that find it funny are laughing at something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

painul means something else. Probably apt for MBB though.

Not linking here...no way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

In this episode was also a joke identical to something said by Karl Pilkington on one of the XFM radio show years ago.

What was it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is this show one of the most unfunny on TV at the moment ,it seems like a throw back to the 70s ,if On The Buses was funny then so is this ,thoughts please because i dont get it
    There was no sh1te like that back in the 70's, were you even around back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mrs Brown looks like a cross between a 1970s Les Dawson (the look) and a 1980s Brendan Grace (the jokes) = awful auld rubbish :(

Can't stand him/her for one moment, but others love her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had to endure that awful film on Xmas day with the relatives.

There was a goddamn Android box plugged in so we could've watched ANYTHING else but, no, had to sit and stare at the horror unfold before us while we all sat in silence.

Was a bit surreal, actually. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eeeeewwwww

Just read urban dictionary on painul.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'd be looking at getting new relatives if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Eeeeewwwww

Just looked it up now as well sometimes I wish I could unread stuff, I really didn't need to know what that meant. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

You'd swear people are forced to watch it.

It's a show about Brendan O'Carroll dressed in drag acting like your archetypal Dublin mammy.
    It's not going to be Beckett or Shakespeare now is it?

It is Panto for TV and that's why it is successful.

There was a goddamn Android box plugged in so we could've watched ANYTHING else but, no, had to sit and stare at the horror unfold before us while we all sat in silence.

Was a bit surreal, actually. :pac:
    Did your relatives tie you to a chair and pop your eyes open with matches? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

It's harmless enough. The film was a bit much maybe.

Anyway, I you don't like it don't watch it. And as for judging people who like it, says more about you than them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Eeeeewwwww

Jesus Christ :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did your relatives tie you to a chair and pop your eyes open with matches? :eek:

No, but they did keep supplying me with beer................my one weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Not only is the show a throwback to seventies television, they even recycle jokes from seventies television. In the Christmas programme there was a lederhosen dancing scene similar to a scene from Are You Being Served. In this episode was also a joke identical to something said by Karl Pilkington on one of the XFM radio show years ago.

When Brendan O'Caroll was on QI his first contribution was a joke from Viz from the early nineties. This was a Top Tip about buying your clothes back from charity shops that had been in Viz and then afterwards was allegedly plagiarised by MacDonalds in one of their advertising campaigns. Viz considered suing them.

I remember watching Brendan O'Carroll stand-up videos with my Dad years ago, when he first became known, and my Dad saying "He's robbing all Billy Connolly's jokes!" .......... and it's true, one of Brendan's routines is an almost word-for-word rip off of one of Billy's routines .......... the only difference is, Billy is funny.

No, but they did keep supplying me with beer................my one weakness.
    That explains it and I bet being tanked up with beer still didn't make the tranny granny funny.

What was it ?

If Dracula can't see his reflection, how come his hair is always styled so neatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I could be wrong but that might be an old joke. But I agree comedians should be original. With O'Carroll there seems to be a case of the emperor having no clothes.

He's popular in the uk which demonstrates how low culturally that country has fallen. But good luck to him.

I could be wrong but that might be an old joke. But I agree comedians should be original. With O'Carroll there seems to be a case of the emperor having no clothes.

He's popular in the uk which demonstrates how low culturally that country has fallen. But good luck to him.

It's probably a thought many people have had to themselves over the years and nobody knows who was the first. I remember Pilkington saying it in 2003. I doubt he was the first. But O'Carroll just recycles everything.

Remember he had the "where's the Any Key" bit from The Simpsons thrown into one of his episodes too. I'm sure if someone watched every episode you could find hundreds of lifted jokes. I just remember another recycled joke:

-Can I have a quickie?
    -It's pronounced quiche.

I remember hearing that joke back when Moses wore short pants*.

*Cite - Sopranos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Film was a step too far. RTE making it the flagshow of their Christmas schedule shows how out of touch they are with the majority of Irish society.

As others have mentioned, he uses a lot of not so original jokes and some truly vile sexual humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Advertisement