Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you take your Christmas Tree down?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We might take ours down this weekend. I've cleared out the sweets and junk already, may as well follow suit with the tree :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I had a friend who once had a st Patrick's party to take down the tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

On the saddest day of the year.

Hate doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I am back in work 6th, so it either comes down 5th or 7th, I fancy 7th! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We'll probably take ours down on Sunday, simply because we're both back at work on Monday and its easier to do it this weekend rather than during the week when the kids are in bed.
    We usually leave a few decorations and cards up for a few more days though, just to take the edge off the gloominess.
    It's been so dark this Christmas that the lights have been permanently on every day!

I'll also have to take the tree down in work on Monday. He who puts it up etc...

The house always looks so much bigger one everything is packed away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Everything inside and outside is left up and lighting until the 6th because it's little Christmas day. Then on the 7th we take down the outside lights/windows. Maybe the the cards and ceiling decorations. Over the next few days the ceiling decorations would come down followed by the ornaments/inside decorations.
    We might leave the tree up for a few extra days just to brighten the place up.
    When I was a kid my mother used always be telling me on the 20th of January now we can't light the tree until the curtains are closed because it can be seen from the road. We used leave it up because going back to school after Christmas was aways so dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Dolbert wrote: »
    We might take ours down this weekend. I've cleared out the sweets and junk already, may as well follow suit with the tree :P

Neither of us felt like taking it down today as it turns out. Next Saturday it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lights get turned off at midnight on the 6th Jan and all the decorations and tree get taken down the 7th

This precisely. Lights go off at midnight and I take off one token decoration and then it comes down the 7th. The 6th is Nollaig na mBann and that's really important to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

came down today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I took mine down today too. House seems very empty now and also needs a good clean. I'll do that tomorrow and will head back to work on Monday having been off since start of Nov. That will be a shock to the system :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

I will take my tree down either Friday or Saturday, didn't even switch the lights on this year as an uncle I was very fond of died on the Monday before Christmas, had to organise his funeral so Christmas was a bit somber

I am sorry for your loss... Hopefully next year will be better....
    In my family we have experienced loss at this time of year... and for some they hate it, BUT I try to embrace it and it means your beloved Uncle will be part of the the Christmas in a positive way years on...

Never before the 6th... and like most here - I (MOURNFULLY) turn of the lights at midnight on the 6th and than anytime after that I can manage to take things down... (sadly).

I have ours up since November 27th... and would gladly leave them up another few weeks... but lean to tradition of the 6th...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CarrieAnne wrote: »
    Never before the 6th... and like most here - I (MOURNFULLY) turn of the lights at midnight on the 6th and than anytime after that I can manage to take things down... (sadly).

I have ours up since November 27th... and would gladly leave them up another few weeks... but lean to tradition of the 6th...

I still have my house lit up as does three of the neighbours across from me. I can't believe it's almost time to take them down. It felt like yesterday I was putting them up. Next year the 6th falls on a Friday so the tree will be staying up until the Sunday.

I'll miss the glow off the lights and the fairy lines on the fire place and window.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

I would take it down... if it went up this year :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I took all the decorations down except the Christmas tree. The tree stays until the 6th.

I couldn't deal with taking every single thing down on the same day- the house looks dreary enough as it is!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I took all the decorations down except the Christmas tree. The tree stays until the 6th.

I couldn't deal with taking every single thing down on the same day- the house looks dreary enough as it is!!

I took down my window stickers and mantleplace pieces leaving all the lights and tree up Til the 6th.

Loughc wrote: »
    I still have my house lit up as does three of the neighbours across from me. I can't believe it's almost time to take them down. It felt like yesterday I was putting them up. Next year the 6th falls on a Friday so the tree will be staying up until the Sunday.

I'll miss the glow off the lights and the fairy lines on the fire place and window.

I will so miss the lights too... I really REFUSE to deal with the end of Christmas until the 7th... and than the mourning begins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Jan 2

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll miss the lights too. We had to turn the tree lights off a couple of times over the last two days while we watched 3 films (my husband could see their reflection in the screen from where he was sitting) and at the same time the batteries in my mantelpiece lights went so it was very sad.

• Advertisement

Haha there was a few times this year watching tv I turned off the tree to watch to better. Mostly cause the lights were remote control operated so it was fun to flick them on and off without having to get up off the couch haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

6th January

I took the antlers and nose off my car today. They were dry (for once) so I figured it was best to take them off now in case it rains again. I didn't want to be bringing them into the house wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I took the antlers and nose off my car today. They were dry (for once) so I figured it was best to take them off now in case it rains again. I didn't want to be bringing them into the house wet.

Oh ! Thanks for the reminder toto ! Mr glitz is still driving around with them on the family car :) wonder how long i can leave them there before he notices ! ?

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Oh ! Thanks for the reminder toto ! Mr glitz is still driving around with them on the family car :) wonder how long i can leave them there before he notices ! ?

It's very easy to forget that they're there! They kind of stood out in a sea of non-Christmassy cars in the Tesco car park earlier though! Leave them on his car! He'll be brightening up the place as he drives around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

It's very easy to forget that they're there! They kind of stood out in a sea of non-Christmassy cars in the Tesco car park earlier though! Leave them on his car! He'll be brightening up the place as he drives around.

So tempted to ! It was a struggle to get them on his car in the first place so I can't be sure if they come off they won't suddenly dissappear or break ( or be given to the dog as a chew toy ) :eek: haha I might leave them up ... only because I know how much he'd love it ... laughs and rolls eyes :D ...

They do stand out don't they? We had great fun in December playing a twist on the yellow reg game if we were out together in the car. ( allowing antlers or similar to be counted just as a yellow reg would be ). It got fiercely competitive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Jan 6th although the christmas scence painted on the sitting room window doesn't come down until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We will take ours down this weekend. Can't do it mid week with work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Took them down on the 2nd. Couldnt stand the mess any longer.
    Hse looked bigger brighter and cleaner (for about 24 hours :mad::mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gonna do it now. Only one way to do it...blast some non Christmas tunes and deny the sadness.

Hate doing this.

Advertisement