Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore Throat ... losing voice

Options
  • 28-12-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

My husband has been vaping for 2 months so far so good but he has a sore throat and loses his voice a bit since starting, he is using Liquia 18mg, any thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Well the first thing is to say that vaping dehydrates you, so it is important to drink plenty of water or sip water when vaping. His throat may be drying up when vaping.

Second, if it is the same, it might be worth trying a different liquid, or cutting down the nicotine level.

There a few liquids that dry out my throat more than others, so I avoid them since there is such a big selection out there. Its all personal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Actually, another possibility is that he has an intolerance to PG or VG, and could switch to a juice with just one or the other, and no mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Sorry I know i am daft what does PG or VG mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Sorry I know i am daft what does PG or VG mean?

PG- propylene glycol- throat hit and carries flavour
    VG- vegetable glycerin- produces more vapour.

Most liquids contain a mix of the above, they are the dilutants that are used in conjunction with nicotine and flavouring. Most liquids have a Pg/vg ratio and a general rule of thumb I have found is that the cheaper liquids tend to have a higher pg ratio.
    I notice myself when using liqua liquids (which are a 70pg/30vg ratio) I get a tickle on the throat from it, whereas if I use a liquid with higher VG ratio (eg 40pg/60vg) it's a much smoother Vape.

bd2012 wrote: »
    PG- propylene glycol- throat hit and carries flavour
    VG- vegetable glycerin- produces more vapour.

Most liquids contain a mix of the above, they are the dilutants that are used in conjunction with nicotine and flavouring. Most liquids have a Pg/vg ratio and a general rule of thumb I have found is that the cheaper liquids tend to have a higher pg ratio.
    I notice myself when using liqua liquids (which are a 70pg/30vg ratio) I get a tickle on the throat from it, whereas if I use a liquid with higher VG ratio (eg 40pg/60vg) it's a much smoother Vape.

Thanks so much again, but on the Liquia bottle he can't find the ratios?

• Advertisement

Thanks so much again, but on the Liquia bottle he can't find the ratios?
    Yeah it's not on them but from a bit of googling a while back I think i saw them as 70pg/30vg, I'm open to correction but that's what I think they are.

Edit. Here's a link https://www.fasttech.com/forums/1297206/t/1020810/whats-the-pgvg-ratios-of-the-liqua-juices-sold-on-/1
    And from liqua themselves:
    https://m.facebook.com/GoCigarette.co.uk/posts/609385979084754

Yeah it's not on them but from a bit of googling a while back I think i saw them as 70pg/30vg, I'm open to correction but that's what I think they are.

Edit. Here's a link https://www.fasttech.com/forums/1297206/t/1020810/whats-the-pgvg-ratios-of-the-liqua-juices-sold-on-/1
    And from liqua themselves:
    https://m.facebook.com/GoCigarette.co.uk/posts/609385979084754

Thanks again so much.

As I say he has been using Liquia but now has researched Halo and says this seems better, have you heard of this one?

Thanks again so much.

As I say he has been using Liquia but now has researched Halo and says this seems better, have you heard of this one?
    I've heard of them but never used them so I'm reluctant to comment. Best bet is to get into a proper Vape shop if there's one nearby and try some different liquids, different pg/vg mixes, even perhaps trying a lower nicotine level and see the difference for himself.

I've heard of them but never used them so I'm reluctant to comment. Best bet is to get into a proper Vape shop if there's one nearby and try some different liquids, different pg/vg mixes, even perhaps trying a lower nicotine level and see the difference for himself.

Can I ask what one you use?

Can I ask what one you use?
    I mostly use my own DIY liquids. A 60vg/40pg mix works well for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Zelda247 wrote:

Tried a few Halo liquids. Oak barrel cider was my daily vape for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

What tank is he using? Thats potentially a huge factor.

Also a high PG Liquia liquid thats 18mg is going to hit home like smoking a camp fire in a rizla.

If its a sub ohm tank drop nicotine to 6mg, anything else maybe 12mg. Try at least 50/50 PG/VG.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Ionised wrote: »
    Tried a few Halo liquids. Oak barrel cider was my daily vape for ages.

As far as I know Oak Barrel Cider is made by epipemods / pipe sauce.

Shinobollo wrote:
    As far as I know Oak Barrel Cider is made by epipemods / pipe sauce.

You are right. So what Halo liquid am I thinking of? It was a while ago and I'm very old!

You are right. So what Halo liquid am I thinking of? It was a while ago and I'm very old!

Midnight Apple maybe ? Not too sure.
    I just remember because I had a couple of Halo liquids in rotation, but had to stop using them.
    Much as I liked the flavour - herself was never too fond of the aroma and could tell a Halo juice a mile away. Reckoned it smelt like catpiss !
    When a friend made the same remark I figured there could be something to it.
    Must be something in the base they use.

Shinobollo wrote: »
    Midnight Apple maybe ? Not too sure.
    I just remember because I had a couple of Halo liquids in rotation, but had to stop using them.
    Much as I liked the flavour - herself was never too fond of the aroma and could tell a Halo juice a mile away. Reckoned it smelt like catpiss !
    When a friend made the same remark I figured there could be something to it.
    Must be something in the base they use.

So Halo smell? the Liquia does not smell thankfully, any other ideas on a blend that is kind to the throat but does not smell?

Midnight apple. Yep that was the one. I never found it left any lingering odour.

Midnight apple. Yep that was the one. I never found it left any lingering odour.

Soorry, didn't mean Midnight Apple specifically. It may be ok - can't remember which ones specifically she hated but I did try a fair few Halos before I gave up on them (as ordered :-)

If memory serves the Belgian Cocoa was a bit wafty! My wife loved that juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I only got a sore throat from chain vaping to high pg juice so try and dilute with a bit of vg

• Advertisement

JH_raheny wrote: »
    I only got a sore throat from chain vaping to high pg juice so try and dilute with a bit of vg

Thank You, he is trying to look for the right product, he says Halo might be worth a try although its out of stock with the supplier he uses.

Advertisement