Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster vs Connacht build up RDS Jan 1st tg4 17:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Grow up. You're like a spoiled child throwing his toys out of the pram, Leinster were the better team and Connacht simply couldn't score.

Leinster scored 3-6 points following the rules. Low scoring game was due to the weather. To understand this is so simple for a "grown up"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Leinster still throwing in the silly errors but you can see improvement week to week.

I like watching us play now, which sounds an odd thing to say, but win or lose it was rarely enjoyable watching MOC's Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I wonder could they just hashtag all Cullens pre and post match comments with #leosayer...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Stheno wrote: »
    We left at half time along with others it was horrible in the south stand.

GOt home in time to see the last 15 mins or so.

Fair play to ye for going at all. I just couldn't face it. Delighted with the performance from leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Leinster deserved that in fairness. Dominated the breakdown. Work to be done in the west.
    Scarlets away next week's going to be another tough one.

Unfortunately a large amount of that work has to be done in the treatment room.
    The number of injuries is really high and with the packed festive period the Connacht lads were starting to look tired there.

Leinster worth their win, but on a 6-0 score line IMO.
    They really got away with slowing down Connacht ball - Clancy let them away with a lot at ruck time.

So many young players doing well out there.
    Ringrose, Van Der Flier, Heenan, Masterson.
    Future is bright

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Leinster deserved the win, but the score should have been 6-0 rather than 13-0, no way on earth that was a try.

There's no conspiracy theories about refs against Connacht, just poor reffing overall

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Leinster deserved the win but that was a shocking decision by Clancy. Referees make mistakes but that was a huge call and one he didn't need to make.

Would have been a completely different finish without that try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Don't see how the try was given but Leinster were better than us this evening. Just made too many mistakes and never really looked like scoring. Very disappointing.

Leo Cullen is class in interviews. Gave a big thank you to the supporters who turned out today.

vetinari wrote: »
    Leinster deserved the win but that was a shocking decision by Clancy. Referees make mistakes but that was a huge call and one he didn't need to make.

Would have been a completely different finish without that try.

Exaclty. Cristal clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

To me the most disappointing thing about the try was our reaction. It was back to the Connacht of old where we dropped our heads not the Connacht we've seen this season where we've gone that was a terrible decision now let's go do something to put it right

To me the most disappointing thing about the try was our reaction. It was back to the Connacht of old where we dropped our heads not the Connacht we've seen this season where we've gone that was a terrible decision now let's go do something to put it right

You can't always win against the ref. That's a hard task.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Leinster deserved the win, but the score should have been 6-0 rather than 13-0, no way on earth that was a try.

There's no conspiracy theories about refs against Connacht, just poor reffing overall

And if Connacht had got the yellow card they should have got at the start of the first half the scoreline could have been completely different, there was also a time most refs would have penalised Connacht for pulling down a rolling maul 5m out, and another where a Connacht player came in blatantly from the side while Leinster were pressuring the Connacht line in the second half, if you really wanted to its easy to find something to complain about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

connachta wrote: »

So the only reason Leinster won was because of the ref? What game were you watching??

Let it go man that wasn't the losing of the game, we failed to score a single point and even if the right call had been made there I don't think we'd have scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I hate George Clancy with a passion as a ref but we were absolutely dire in the 2nd half. We held our ground after an outrageous decision at Thomond Park. Tonight even before the try we were absolutely clueless. The try made it 10-0 and probably secured the game but there was still loads of time to at least leave there with a bonus point but if we were there until tomorrow we weren't going to score in that 2nd half.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tox56 wrote: »
    And if Connacht had got the yellow card they should have got at the start of the first half the scoreline could have been completely different, there was also a time most refs would have penalised Connacht for pulling down a rolling maul 5m out, and another where a Connacht player came in blatantly from the side while Leinster were pressuring the Connacht line in the second half, if you really wanted to its easy to find something to complain about
    Are you talking about what looked to be a punch during a ruck early on in the game in terms of a yellow?

Let it go man that wasn't the losing of the game, we failed to score a single point and even if the right call had been made there I don't think we'd have scored

I've never said we should have won. But the BP was in the bag. And we may regret it in the end of the season. hope we won't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you talking about what looked to be a punch during a ruck early on in the game in terms of a yellow?

No I mean at the start of the half when Leinster were pressurising the line and Connacht were conceding penalty after penalty, there was one penalty particularly where Aki I think just gave away the most blatant in at the side penalty you will ever see. Clancy did eventually give a warning later but at that point he really should have been showing a card not just giving a warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

All that can be said about the try is that there was a hand under it before it was grounded. Clancy asked "any reason..." from which I assumed he saw it grounded, which we couldn't see.

For all we know the hand underneath slipped off before grounding. It's a question that's usually only asked if the ref can see the ball touched down but is unsure as to whether there's a knock on or double movement or other such infringement in the act of grounding.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht were well beaten by a much better side on the night. Leinster have improved game by game since the hammering by Wasps. Defence is strong and set piece is getting better. Beginning to see the development of a good attacking game also. It's coming together gradually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

ESPN stats has Van Der Flier down for 18 tackles made and 2 missed. These stats get revised, but from first look he has once again made the highest amount of tackles from an individual on either side. Lad is a machine.

I've never said we should have won. But the BP was in the bag. And we may regret it in the end of the season. hope we won't

Hang on. If the try weren't awarded, surely Leinster would have got a 5m scrum......from which, anything could have happened, but to assume Leinster would have scored zero from that is being a bit optimistic methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

All that can be said about the try is that there was a hand under it before it was grounded. Clancy asked "any reason..." from which I assumed he saw it grounded, which we couldn't see.

For all we know the hand underneath slipped off before grounding. It's a question that's usually only asked if the ref can see the ball touched down but is unsure as to whether there's a knock on or double movement or other such infringement in the act of grounding.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

The thing is he seemed to be rowing back on it when he then saw it again but the TMO talked over him then to say that he didn't see any reason not to award the try.

If the ref is on the spot you can say fair enough as it beats any angle you'll get on TV but he wasn't in the ideal position to start and then fell on his arse. On the old balance of probabilities rules it probably would have been a try as to be fair I thought it was initially too but in the position he ended up in he had no right to call 'any reason I can't award the try'.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Hang on. If the try weren't awarded, surely Leinster would have got a 5m scrum......from which, anything could have happened, but to assume Leinster would have scored zero from that is being a bit optimistic methinks.

Maybe 3, but with the rain, there were slim chances for them to go over the line again. You can't say it would have probably been 10-0 anyway. And that's the moment Connacht lost their BP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Enjoyed that, we were well worth the gap in the scoreline even if we didn't score as much as we should have from all the possession. Always nice to get a win over the best coached Irish province to ever play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

The thing is he seemed to be rowing back on it when he then saw it again but the TMO talked over him then to say that he didn't see any reason not to award the try.

If the ref is on the spot you can say fair enough as it beats any angle you'll get on TV but he wasn't in the ideal position to start and then fell on his arse. On the old balance of probabilities rules it probably would have been a try as to be fair I thought it was initially too but in the position he ended up in he had no right to call 'any reason I can't award the try'.

For whatever reason Clancy wanted to award that try. So by asking that question he knew he could get it awarded. If he asked yes or no then the answer would have been no.

For whatever reason Clancy wanted to award that try. So by asking that question he knew he could get it awarded. If he asked yes or no then the answer would have been no.

The real question is why did he ask that question. How on earth could he has seen a grounding 3 different TV angles doesn't show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

The real question is why did he ask that question. How on earth could he has seen a grounding 3 different TV angles doesn't show?

Tv angles or a ref 2 yards away? Ref could have seen a grounding which is why he asked the question he did. TV angles werent great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

aimee1 wrote: »
    Tv angles or a ref 2 yards away? Ref could have seen a grounding which is why he asked the question he did. TV angles werent great

Bollix, for any conn fans the r d s is way wetter than the sports ground.

Ref could have seen a grounding which is why he asked the question he did.

Sitting on his ass? And when would the Leinster lad has grounded? Before or after the TV pictures? I don't get it. At all (except with Leinster bias)

True but in this case the ref actually said he couldn't see the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

A nice win should have been more though, need to more clinical. Excellent Connacht defence too.

Needed to score early with all that pressure and thought Connacht should have had a yellow or more but overall happy to beat a resilient team.
    Fair play to travelling fans. Try or not (live it looked down, tv not so unlucky for Connacht , Leinster were much better and would have been a travesty to throw it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

True but in this case the ref actually said he couldn't see the ball

i was watching on tv and the sound was down so didnt hear all the chat but i heard Clancy ask the 2nd question so just assumed he had seen a grounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

I was in the terrace right behind the tryline. Clancy slipped before the ball was grounded and was unsighted. So a crazy question to ask the tmo. That said deserved win for Leinster. Have no qualms in saying that. Tom mccartney was insanely good. Great to have him back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Soaked and still hungover from last night
    Comfort eating Jam Donuts on bus back to Galway now

Thought Connacht did brilliant in first half - exactly what we wanted to only be 3 points down playing against that gale
    Our maul defence deserves a mention here
    Thought Heenan and McCartney were brilliant in their comeback - Connacht lineout malfunctioned few times but that seemed more communication issue
    Also I know it's a.tactical decision but JAYSUS would Masterson or Marmion not gets that ball out from under our scrum.

Ringrose is beautiful player to watch - way he just glides
    Leinster deserved to win no question - that said didn't think their try was grounded but seemed coming for a while

Also fair play to the Leinster fans, very gracious in victory and good humour throughout the game :)

Sitting on his ass? And when would the Leinster lad has grounded? Before or after the TV pictures? I don't get it. At all (except with Leinster bias)

As I said it's an unusual question to ask unless the ref sees the ball on the ground with a hand on it. If he can't see that then it's try yes or no.

He may have been on his arse but that just means he was a yard closer than if he was standing. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

As I said it's an unusual question to ask unless the ref sees the ball on the ground with a hand on it. If he can't see that then it's try yes or no.
    He may have been on his arse but that just means he was a yard closer than if he was standing.

There is no way in hell that he saw that ball grounded. The TV replays showed pretty conclusively that it was held up.
    My guess is that he got "fuddled" through the embarrassment of failing on his arse and lost the nerve to ask the correct question to the TMO.....he just bottled it....
    IMHO the clear knock on inside the 10 metre line a few minutes later, where he was very close and had a clear view, was a more obvious example of unforgivably piss poor reff'ing, although I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories at all, but I do subscribe to subconscious home town / big club breaks, ..
    One way or the other Leinster deserved the win, hands down. Connacht did not deserve more than they got..... If I remember correctly the ref didn't disallow any Connacht scores :-)

There is no way in hell that he saw that ball grounded. The TV replays showed pretty conclusively that it was held up.
    My guess is that he got "fuddled" through the embarrassment of failing on his arse and lost the nerve to ask the correct question to the TMO.....he just bottled it....
    IMHO the clear knock on inside the 10 metre line a few minutes later, where he was very close and had a clear view, was a more obvious example of unforgivably piss poor reff'ing, although I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories at all, but I do subscribe to subconscious home town / big club breaks, ..
    One way or the other Leinster deserved the win, hands down. Connacht did not deserve more than they got..... If I remember correctly the ref didn't disallow any Connacht scores :-)

I'm sorry but TV angles aren't a substitute for being there. There was only one angle that showed the hand under the ball. Nothing showed the ball on the ground.

Embarrassment is a real stretch. Seriously he could have made a mistake but saying he asked the wrong question through embarrassment is just daft.

I know refs make mistakes but that's just stretching credibility.

• Advertisement

I do subscribe to subconscious home town / big club breaks, ..

Honnesty here. And will be the same away to Scarlets

Honnesty here. And will be the same away to Scarlets

Yep. Connacht just won't get a break. Anywhere but in the sports ground. And only if there isn't an R in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Leinster deserved to win no question - that said didn't think their try was grounded but seemed coming for a while

How was Ringrose's general play outside of the two breaks?

You really want a list of Connacht games or points stolen by the ref?
    Any Leinster fan would be screaming if 50% of what happened to the 'Westies", would have happened to the Dubliners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Soaked and still hungover from last night
    Comfort eating Jam Donuts on bus back to Galway now

Thought Connacht did brilliant in first half - exactly what we wanted to only be 3 points down playing against that gale
    Our maul defence deserves a mention here
    Thought Heenan and McCartney were brilliant in their comeback - Connacht lineout malfunctioned few times but that seemed more communication issue
    Also I know it's a.tactical decision but JAYSUS would Masterson or Marmion not gets that ball out from under our scrum.

Also fair play to the Leinster fans, very gracious in victory and good humour throughout the game :)

Wudnt happen to be citylink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

One thing that is undoubtedly clear from the replays is that the ref had a much better view of the grounding than any of the tv cameras did. He saw a grounding.
    He lost sight of the ball before it was grounded, and that's the reason he asked the tmo the "any reason ...." question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

But that's my point, he was there but he clearly was unsighted as he fell on his arse at the critical moment....he clearly was not in a position to see what happened and he said as much to the TMO..... obviously my comment on "too embarrassed or bottling it" is pure conjecture on my part, but it's more palatable/nicer then the alternative, specifically that he is totally incompetent and/or does jot understand what he is meant to be doing..... Anyways if was not his fault that we did not score any points...

lotmc wrote: »
    One thing that is undoubtedly clear from the replays is that the ref had a much better view of the grounding than any of the tv cameras did. He saw a grounding.
    He lost sight of the ball before it was grounded, and that's the reason he asked the tmo the "any reason ...." question.

You mean he fell, than saw the grounding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

You mean he fell, than saw the grounding?

Have a look at the video.

His eyes never deviated from the area where the ball was, before / during / after he fell. At different stages his view would have become obscured by players between him and the ball. However at some stage he did see a grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

LostArt wrote: »
    Enjoyed that, we were well worth the gap in the scoreline even if we didn't score as much as we should have from all the possession. Always nice to get a win over the best coached Irish province to ever play the game.

Classy ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement