Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Noonan limits credit union deposits

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the thought process behind it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the thought process behind it?

Because banks have low enough deposits and look longingly at the non bailed out credit unions deposits??

I know myself I prefer to use the credit union to the bank....leaving small amount there for debit card use etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

It makes complete sense.
    Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the thought process behind it?

Deposits need to be spread over as many people as possible to prevent a small number of depositors creating too much risk for a financial organisation.

For example, if Ballymoney CU had 1 depositor with 1 million EUR and 500 depositors with 100 EUR each on average, what would happen if the 1 depositor with 1 million EUR pulled his cash? The CU could collapse as they would not have 66% reserves in cash.

No one depositor, or even a small series of depositors, should own more than circa. 1% of the total deposits. Otherwise, they create far too much risk.

Okay, the DoF could have introduced a 1% deposit risk weighting but in reality that would not have worked. Hence, a 100k cap makes complete sense.

Most Credit Unions are small organisations, that cannot become dependent on 1 or a small number of large depositors.

Well done Noonan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Because banks have low enough deposits and look longingly at the non bailed out credit unions deposits??

No! That is not correct nor is it the motivation. The opposite is the case of most banks, especially AIB, where they have too much deposits. AIB's loans-to-deposits ratio is now below 100%! Most banks these days are awash with deposits, as loans decrease and virtually free ECB money can be accessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

It's very simple, central bank / dept of finance will bail out the banks at our cost, they won't bail out the credit unions, by limiting deposits to 100k then they can say no one lost money, but your CU will be gone just like with Newbridge where it was transferred to ptsb, the biggest basket case of the remaining Irish Banks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

It's very simple, central bank / dept of finance will bail out the banks at our cost, they won't bail out the credit unions, by limiting deposits to 100k then they can say no one lost money, but your CU will be gone just like with Newbridge where it was transferred to ptsb, the biggest basket case of the remaining Irish Banks

they bailed out (at least) 2 afair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

CUs are great as they provide credit to people who traditionally were not desirable for banks to lend to. But a lot of them are being run by people are not the most competent to put it nicely. There were CUs were the directors were giving loans to themselves for property in Eastern Europe. CUs were giving loans to property developers, which is not what a CU is set to do

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/seamus-coffey-more-credit-union-failures-are-inevitable-and-well-pay-price-29745846.html

If you study banking. Risk is a huge topic. The way CUs are in Ireland means, they generally focus their lending on a small area. If that area has an issue like a large factory closing. The CU will have a large number of defaulting loans. CUs arent diversified and cant really borrow on the money markets like AIB or BOI.

In most EU countries like Spain. The biggest issue with their banking sector was that Co-op banks and CU were unregulated, as it was basically political undesirable. Should a financial institution be regulated? Absolutely but regulating a CU is seen as politically undesirable as it is seen an attack on lending to low income individuals. Everything in the media on this new rule is that it is an attack on poor. But if we are serious about preventing another banking crisis in Ireland. It is necessary.

I personally cant understand why CU rates are so high here compared to CUs in the US. A car loan from a CU in the US can be as low as 1.4%. Yet in Ireland it can be up to 8%. It is probably due to the fact Irish CUs are so small and lack economies of scale.

Advertisement