Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox one on q sat

Options
  • 28-12-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking at getting a next gen console and had pretty much decided on the ps4 as we have q sat internet and the xbox one needs to be connected to the internet every day from what I see.

Does anybody here have an xbox one with terrible internet? Is it worth upgrading from the 360? I would be using it for offline gaming until the broadband situation improves here (timeline for that could vary from a couple of weeks to a few years)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking at getting a next gen console and had pretty much decided on the ps4 as we have q sat internet and the xbox one needs to be connected to the internet every day from what I see.

Does anybody here have an xbox one with terrible internet? Is it worth upgrading from the 360? I would be using it for offline gaming until the broadband situation improves here (timeline for that could vary from a couple of weeks to a few years)

For what it's worth, the ps4 needs to be connected to the internet just as much as the xb1, and the trend over the last few years of massive day one patches is going to be an issue no matter what you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

For what it's worth, the ps4 needs to be connected to the internet just as much as the xb1, and the trend over the last few years of massive day one patches is going to be an issue no matter what you choose.

Wasnt aware that was the case with the ps4, to be honest that was the main selling point of the ps4. So would you say to forget next gen as long as I am with qsat? or would I get by with suffering through slowly downloading the day one patch? in terms of the daily connection, does it just check that there is an internet connection or whats the story? I know that online gaming is out with qsat, but is it really a case of just forget the next gen all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Wasnt aware that was the case with the ps4, to be honest that was the main selling point of the ps4. So would you say to forget next gen as long as I am with qsat? or would I get by with suffering through slowly downloading the day one patch? in terms of the daily connection, does it just check that there is an internet connection or whats the story? I know that online gaming is out with qsat, but is it really a case of just forget the next gen all together?

I think you have old information there friend. Have a look here for information on how to use your XB1 offline. I don't know if you still have to connect for a day one patch with current retail configurations, but AFAIK, and i'm open to correction, once you install the patch you can take your console offline and keep it off, i don't believe it needs to connect every 24 hours.

As stone said, it's the day one game patches that will leave you suffer in the long run. What kind of speeds do you get now on Q-Sat?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I think you have old information there friend. Have a look here for information on how to use your XB1 offline. I don't know if you still have to connect for a day one patch with current retail configurations, but AFAIK, and i'm open to correction, once you install the patch you can take your console offline and keep it off, i don't believe it needs to connect every 24 hours.

As stone said, it's the day one game patches that will leave you suffer in the long run. What kind of speeds do you get now on Q-Sat?

I just did a test and it says 4.4mbps download and .1mbps upload. We have a 25gb download limit also

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I just did a test and it says 4.4mbps download and .1mbps upload. We have a 25gb download limit also

Your download speed is good enough for playing games online, but your very slow upload speed means that online gaming is unrealistic, to be honest.

As for offline play, the biggest problem you'll have is with the patches and updates, which are pretty much required these days, as a lot of games are released in an unfinished state, and then patched on day one so as to work. Many of these patches can be multiple gigabytes in size, so I'm not sure if this latest generation of consoles will work with your broadband, sorry!

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Your download speed is good enough for playing games online, but your very slow upload speed means that online gaming is unrealistic, to be honest.

As for offline play, the biggest problem you'll have is with the patches and updates, which are pretty much required these days, as a lot of games are released in an unfinished state, and then patched on day one so as to work. Many of these patches can be multiple gigabytes in size, so I'm not sure if this latest generation of consoles will work with your broadband, sorry!

I was afraid the patches would be big! We do have unlimited download between 2am and 8am so that may be a work around. But chances are you're right! Thanks for crushing my hopes but saving me money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Bring the console to a mates house(with half decent internet) when you buy a new game.

Once you have the initial update, don't connect the Xbox to the net at home at all and play away offline.

But of a pain but Ul be able to play

If unlimited download at night means it doesn't add to your limit just do it overnight?? No bother.

I have eircom but it's not great. Often leave games on steam overnight to download.

Drexel wrote: »
    Bring the console to a mates house(with half decent internet) when you buy a new game.

Once you have the initial update, don't connect the Xbox to the net at home at all and play away offline.

But of a pain but Ul be able to play

If unlimited download at night means it doesn't add to your limit just do it overnight?? No bother.

I have eircom but it's not great. Often leave games on steam overnight to download.

Yeah I do all my downloading on my laptop at night, if the initial set up wasn't huge (xbox website shows a screenshot stating 50mb but that seems like presales promises) then I wouldn't mind downloading patches for games overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah I do all my downloading on my laptop at night, if the initial set up wasn't huge (xbox website shows a screenshot stating 50mb but that seems like presales promises) then I wouldn't mind downloading patches for games overnight

As the lads said, you'll be fine for single player games, it's multiplayer you'll be at a disadvantage, I would imagine the ping times with satellite bb must be pretty bad. If you can download an unlimited amount at night you'll be sorted, it might be a pain in the hoop staying up late to start downloads,but hey, I've done crazier things for games.

Best of luck with whatever console you go for in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Bought this for the young lad. Have to say he has download over 45Gb of data through my Mobile broadband. Thankfully there is a cap on the downloads, or I would be in trouble. This is even with it turned off, now it is plugged out. Thanks for the warning Microsoft.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input guys, you're a sound bunch! bit the bullet and bought 500gb with fifa bundle (didnt realise it was a code and not a physical copy, so god knows when that will be downloaded)

The console update was just over 1gb (so much for 50mb!) and downloaded fine. Then when trying to get WRC 5 going, it needed a 500mb download and storm Frank started up and showed the limitation of satellite broadband, as we lost it for all devices for most the night. Will bring the whole lot to my aunts today as she has decent broadband

Advertisement