Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advise on the following Log cabin. Pics attached

• 28-12-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We built a 90 mm width log cabin about 5 years back as a home office / extra living space.
    Its just a single skin softwood cabin so as you can imagine insulation isn't very good.

We have central heating plumbed and working however it gets cold quite quickly once the heating is off. ( windows are double glaze but fairly cheap looking)
    The cabin is 6M by 7M and was built on an insulated slab.

I'm now looking at retro fitting external insulation and also hoping to increase its lifespan as externally its starting to degrade and damp can be seen in the corners.

Option 1.

dig a new footing all around the cabin and lay new foundation.
    Use a 4 ( or 3 ) inch block and build wall all around cabin ( 100mm for insulation ). Plaster and then batten with Cedar shingles to keep that log cabin effect ( was also considering some stone veneer on the bottom 3 feet for visual effect)

With this option I'm worried it will look odd as the eves will the not have as much over hang.

Option 2.

Purchase those external insulated slabs from someone like Kingspan. Attach to external timber and render. I'd hate to loose the outdoor log cabin effect though.

When we purchased we could only afford the single skin structure, but were advised the 90mm could sustain the irish winters if treated correctly however this isn't the case. To be fair our site is exposed.

I'm not sure who to go to professionaly for advise, would it be an architect or a Civil Engineer.

Anyway, just looking for your opinions to see if I'm completely off the mark here.

Thanks for reading

Advertisement