Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eglu chicken coops

• 28-12-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

We're moving into a suburban house in Dublin soon and both of us have always wanted to keep chickens. I've been reading though the chicken-keeping advice on Boards and elsewhere.

I'd like to hear from people who have any of the Eglu coops and runs. We're thinking of the Eglu Go Up coop and run - see omlet website. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following issues:

Issue 1 - foxes

Eglu say their run is foxproof and fitted with an anti-burrowing device. Would the chickens be safe in the run during the day if it was placed on level grass? I've heard foxes don't restrict themselves to nighttime, but we'll want the chickens in the run while we're out at work.

Issue 2 - size of run

Is the 2 metre eglu run sufficient for 3 chickens? We might be able to stretch to the 3 metre one space-wise but we'd probably be able to move the 2 metre one about more within the garden, moving it forward and back on different patches of ground.

Issue 3 - chicken breeds

I love the idea of coloured eggs from the likes of araucanas, but they seem to be very hard to source. Other thoughts are amber stars, bluebells and speckeldy marans.

All advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive kept hens for many years - great hobby - LOVE my hens, and the eggs are such a lovely bonus. The EGLU coops and runs are SO incredibly expensive, and overpriced, I would suggest to you that you spend the money on getting/making the biggest run you can possible manage space-wise, rather than buying a posh coop and far-too-small-run from EGLU.

If you are hoping to keep the hens (3) in a run that size for pretty much the whole day, in my opinion that is far too small. By the time you get home in the evenings, it will be dark, the hens will have gone to roost, so will not get out of that tiny run all day long. They will reduce the space in that size run to bare earth (then mud) in a matter of about 2 days. The EGLU run, being 'mesh' with the 'rain cover' over the top only, will mean that the hens have zero shelter from rain. Their food will get wet, and they will be wet too.

I have 4 coops at the moment - the best/most popular with the hens, and the easiest to clean and keep pest free is a plastic dog kennel from Dunnes Stores that cost about €30, which my OH added a door to, and some perches inside. ANYTHING will do for a coop - a wendy house/a plastic coal bin on its side/a kennel/a toy chest - as long as its draught proof, and it has space for a nest box. The important thing for hens is 1. access to light (daylight) 2. food and water (they drink a lot) 3. a draught-free coop that can be closed for the night 4. a safe run where they can scratch/socialize/exercise/have a dustbath/etc. The size of the run is the most important think to spend your money on - in my opinion - if you can put a net 'roof' on it to keep wild birds out, a sheltered place where food can be kept dry - or buy a covered feed-hopper, and where the hens can shelter from the rain are pretty important too.

As for breeds - the pretty ones are lovely - check out irishfowl.com irish-poultry.com freerangepoultry.ie poulacapplepoultry.com etc etc - there is usually a good selection of poultry on adverts and donedeal but make sure its a decent breeder and most important make sure that you are getting hens not cockerals!!!!! Larchill.ie have regular poultry shows/sales and its close to Dublin.

Read lots, visit lots of poultry websites, do your research and ask anyone you know who keeps hens for advise! Good luck - hens are great, and you will really enjoy the new hobby!

Advertisement