Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposition to expansion plans (Monksland to become part of Westmeath)

Options
  • 28-12-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

A group have been set up to halt plans to put Monksland and some other areas close to Athlone into Westmeath for budgetting etc.

I don't the protests. Roscommon is not an Urban county. Monksland's residents mainly work on the Westmeath side and thus should get the benefits of same. The area has far more in common with Westmeath than Roscommon. Finally, it is natural that a towns expansion means that its boundaries (for efficient gov purposes) also expands.

As it is, we end up with TDs who cannot utter a sentence without "Rurryl Ireland" this and that, rather than actually doing something for Monksland. You dont get the Healy-Rae types on the Westmeath side (the odd one ok, but plenty of choice in comparison).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

guylikeme wrote: »
    A group have been set up to halt plans to put Monksland and some other areas close to Athlone into Westmeath for budgetting etc.

I don't the protests. Roscommon is not an Urban county. Monksland's residents mainly work on the Westmeath side and thus should get the benefits of same. The area has far more in common with Westmeath than Roscommon. Finally, it is natural that a towns expansion means that its boundaries (for efficient gov purposes) also expands.

As it is, we end up with TDs who cannot utter a sentence without "Rurryl Ireland" this and that, rather than actually doing something for Monksland. You dont get the Healy-Rae types on the Westmeath side (the odd one ok, but plenty of choice in comparison).

the only reason Monksland exists is because Roscommon County zoned the land to allow development.
    Westmeath County Council has prevented the expansion of Athlone and Mullingar in terms of industry and housing.
    It is the largest urban area in Roscommon and contributes a huge % of the rates in Co Roscommon which run services throughout the rest of the county.
    It'd be like taking Athlone out of Westmeath and putting it into Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the only reason Monksland exists is because Roscommon County zoned the land to allow development.
    Westmeath County Council has prevented the expansion of Athlone and Mullingar in terms of industry and housing.
    It is the largest urban area in Roscommon and contributes a huge % of the rates in Co Roscommon which run services throughout the rest of the county.
    It'd be like taking Athlone out of Westmeath and putting it into Roscommon.

But why do locals have to subsidise a largely barren rest of the county and get nothing in return, not even a drop in property tax. Completely unfair imo.

As for putting athlone into Ros, again the commercial side moved over the bridge long ago for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Let Monksland go into Westmeath, but transfer 10 times the size of non urban Westmeath into Roscommon to compensate.

But why do locals have to subsidise a largely barren rest of the county and get nothing in return, not even a drop in property tax. Completely unfair imo.

As for putting athlone into Ros, again the commercial side moved over the bridge long ago for a reason

how does it subsidise the rest of the county?

the rates are set and every business pays.
    the council then do up their services budget based on the projected income.
    Roscommon Co Co created the industrial and commercial zones to encourage businesses to set up there.
    they also gave permission for a ridiculous amount of houses to be built

meanwhile Westmeath Co Co won't even let factories be built in the IDA park in Mullingar!

Maybe Westmeath people are jealous and after a few All Ireland football medals in the county

how does it subsidise the rest of the county?

the rates are set and every business pays.
    the council then do up their services budget based on the projected income.
    Roscommon Co Co created the industrial and commercial zones to encourage businesses to set up there.
    they also gave permission for a ridiculous amount of houses to be built

meanwhile Westmeath Co Co won't even let factories be built in the IDA park in Mullingar!

Maybe Westmeath people are jealous and after a few All Ireland football medals in the county

If one guy lives in rural and 10 live in urban, then the road, broadband pipes, one off housing expenses needs to be disproportionately paid for by the urban guys. It's inefficient. My arg...pay for yourself.

Dublin already does this for most of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I've lived in Monksland, and I liked that it was in County Roscommon.
    Of the 3 families I know that live there, none of the parents are employed in Westmeath.
    Of the 2 people I know that work there, neither live in Westmeath.

If boundaries were to change based on where the residents worked, that'd mess up the whole country!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

who cares I live in tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

deni20000 wrote: »
    who cares I live in tipperary

Nobody cares that you live in Tipperary.

If one guy lives in rural and 10 live in urban, then the road, broadband pipes, one off housing expenses needs to be disproportionately paid for by the urban guys. It's inefficient. My arg...pay for yourself.

Dublin already does this for most of Ireland.

what is your point exactly?

that is the way taxes work
    money is pooled, spent where needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Addle wrote: »
    I've lived in Monksland, and I liked that it was in County Roscommon.
    Of the 3 families I know that live there, none of the parents are employed in Westmeath.
    Of the 2 people I know that work there, neither live in Westmeath.

If boundaries were to change based on where the residents worked, that'd mess up the whole country!

Schools, Banks, Cinema, Shopping Centres, Gardai, Ambulance, Fire, Churches, Undertakers, not in Monksland. So where do you spend your euro should think mostly Athlone Co Westmeath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

I dont see what all the fuss is about.
    Last year there were three local authorities taking care of athlone, now that Athlone Town council is gone there is two. Its a pure waste of money to have two local authorities managing one town.
    I think there is only a big fuss being kicked up from Roscommon Co co as they will be loosing a large amount of revenue.
    They havent done much for the monksland area I have been living in area for 10years+, only last year they have upgraded the footpaths,roads around mount william ct,cushla.
    There is only one playground.
    They have removed at least 3 dustbins.
    They didnt want the roundabout at the entrance to river village where it is currently they wanted it at Corran Riada, which made no sence.
    They have been very slow to do anything on the ground, so hopefully Westmeath Co Co will be better.
    But only time will tell.

Monkskand wouldn't have evolved at all if it wasn't for ros co co.

it possibly might not have evolved so much regarding elan etc, but there would have been as many houses built there with cheaper land prices.

billbond4 wrote: »
    it possibly might not have evolved so much regarding elan etc, but there would have been as many houses built there with cheaper land prices.

Funny.

You think Westmeath Co Co would have allowed any houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Reckon we should reinstate the Barony of Athlone and send pillaging parties out in to the surrounding countryside in both counties for em...sheep and more sheep?!

Imo it makes sense that there is one entity responsible from an administrative and development point of view for Athlone and also it will mean the vote in the town and it's urban hinterland is consolidated and would hopefully mean it has greater say in county politics. I don't care if that's in Westmeath or Roscommon personally.

From moving back in recent years I can see the Roscommon CoCo have done a lot on their side of the town to improve the Monksland/Tuam road area, hopefully with any changes that come about we do not see a deterioration in what has been done to date and possibly can rebalance the town to also provide more places of employment on the Roscommon side. I don't see what an administrative change should impact the physical borders of the county though which seems to be part of the fuss

The updates to roads finish at river village where roscommon Co Co were paid huge monies by elan, other industries in Monkland and oyster homes.
    The updated roads on the old tuam Road should have been done years ago,so not sure now much credit roscommon Co Co for doing it then,perhaps they knew what was coming and decided to do something to say to people look at what we have done. But roads and infrastructure should have been done at least a decade ago

Do some people really think Westmeath Co Co will be any better at maintaining roads etc?
    What examples are there around county Westmeath to show that the council is in any way better than Roscommon co co?
    Especially considering that Westmeath already have a bigger pot to spend from?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Addle that's just more scaremongering Buccaneers Rugby based in Athlone Co Westmeath play in Connacht so sporting boundaries should not be an issue. By amalgamating both sides of Athlone it makes Athlone a stronger brand to entice more business & employment. Every month we hear jobs announced for Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway cities. Let's make Athlone a City lets get a Universty status, let Athlone be the biggest region in the BMW the bigger the fish you are the more you cannot be ignored. I don't care if it's Athlone Westmeath or Athlone Roscommon as long as Athlone grows which in turn will create better opportunity for our kids and grandkids . I'm from Westmeath side of Athlone but I envy not having a TD like Denis Naughton as do a lot of people on the Connacht side of Athlone who cannot vote for him. So let's look at the bigger picture for Athlone to develop further it needs to expand.

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Addle that's just more scaremongering Buccaneers Rugby based in Athlone Co Westmeath play in Connacht so sporting boundaries should not be an issue. By amalgamating both sides of Athlone it makes Athlone a stronger brand to entice more business & employment. Every month we hear jobs announced for Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway cities. Let's make Athlone a City lets get a Universty status, let Athlone be the biggest region in the BMW the bigger the fish you are the more you cannot be ignored. I don't care if it's Athlone Westmeath or Athlone Roscommon as long as Athlone grows which in turn will create better opportunity for our kids and grandkids . I'm from Westmeath side of Athlone but I envy not having a TD like Denis Naughton as do a lot of people on the Connacht side of Athlone who cannot vote for him. So let's look at the bigger picture for Athlone to develop further it needs to expand.

Westmeath Co co have a record of doing a half arsed job on the Connacht side

look at the design and quality of the exits off the bypass on the Roscommon side compared to the Westmeath side. Westmeath Co Co led the design and build of the by pass at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

So much wrong with that post .

Do you know how taxation works ?

Elan must be one of the biggest employers in Athlone?
    Being in co Roscommon hadn't hindered it.

Submit your objection here
    http://www.opacity.ie/save-roscommon

Westmeath Co co have a record of doing a half arsed job on the Connacht side

look at the design and quality of the exits off the bypass on the Roscommon side compared to the Westmeath side. Westmeath Co Co led the design and build of the by pass at the time

The latest exit was designed by Roscommon Co Co at the Monksland exit and its terrible ,way to sharp.
    And major road projects are handled by the TII now, so infrastructure should be designed and better built now

Basically every politician in the Ros area opposing this. Turkeys voting against Christmas.

They argue that westmeath coco have the Galway road in bits. My opinion is that is because for them it is currently a road to nowhere. Getting ownership of the monksland area would incentivise them to sort out this.

#shaveroscommon

Better the devil you know!

This review is such a waste of time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

billbond4 wrote: »
    I dont see what all the fuss is about.
    Last year there were three local authorities taking care of athlone, now that Athlone Town council is gone there is two. Its a pure waste of money to have two local authorities managing one town.
    I think there is only a big fuss being kicked up from Roscommon Co co as they will be loosing a large amount of revenue.
    They havent done much for the monksland area I have been living in area for 10years+, only last year they have upgraded the footpaths,roads around mount william ct,cushla.
    There is only one playground.
    They have removed at least 3 dustbins.
    They didnt want the roundabout at the entrance to river village where it is currently they wanted it at Corran Riada, which made no sence.
    They have been very slow to do anything on the ground, so hopefully Westmeath Co Co will be better.
    But only time will tell.

It took Westmeath County Council generations to do anything on the "Roscommon" side of Athlone. Connacht Street was already run down in the 80's when I first started going up there. Nothing done in the 90's. Nothing down in the 00's. Action only started happening when the TriAthlone's started and there was further improvements made for the River Festival. Connacht street and surrounding areas had been crying out for a tidy up for 20 years but it only happened when a big event was unfolding.

Councils are slow. It doesnt matter which council you have, it's going to take a long time to get anything done no matter who's running the show.

Getting the footpaths done around Cushla after about 8-10 years of asking was pretty good!

Rikand wrote: »
    It took Westmeath County Council generations to do anything on the "Roscommon" side of Athlone. Connacht Street was already run down in the 80's when I first started going up there. Nothing done in the 90's. Nothing down in the 00's. Action only started happening when the TriAthlone's started and there was further improvements made for the River Festival. Connacht street and surrounding areas had been crying out for a tidy up for 20 years but it only happened when a big event was unfolding.

Councils are slow. It doesnt matter which council you have, it's going to take a long time to get anything done no matter who's running the show.

Getting the footpaths done around Cushla after about 8-10 years of asking was pretty good!

Westmeath have a terrible record in job creation
    there is an IDA business park in Mullingar with no factories in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

cyclops999 wrote: »

It does nothing of the sort.
    West side of the bridge has been ignored under the Westmeath system so it makes no sense apart from Westmeath gaining more money.
    Being in two seperate counties is not going to impact the college being made into a university or Athlone getting city status.

Ireland has county based councils. If we are to change that then by all means change the system so that each region is centred on a large urban area.

Advertisement