Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposition to expansion plans (Monksland to become part of Westmeath)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

guylikeme wrote: »
    If one guy lives in rural and 10 live in urban, then the road, broadband pipes, one off housing expenses needs to be disproportionately paid for by the urban guys. It's inefficient. My arg...pay for yourself.

Dublin already does this for most of Ireland.

Another ridiculous statement. . .How about we decentralise 10000 government jobs from Dublin to Athlone, Roscommon, Birr, Longford and Carrick-on-Shannon towns - thats 2000 jobs each.

Thats less traffic on the road in Dublin, frees up probably 5000+ family homes which are in chronic shortage in the capital.
    15 minutes commute from those five towns brings people into rural villages and towns where there is plenty of housing stock at a fraction of the cost of the Dublin houses, post offices and garda stations and schools and shops/pubs can remain open because of the influx of people. So you now have probably an extra 20 million being spent in these areas instead of Dublin so other small businesses can develop.

That way Dublin doesn't have to "do this for most of Ireland".
    It would take someone with common sense to make this decision and a willingness to ignore unions looking (ridiculously) for relocation bonuses etc.

The motorway system in Ireland is very good and those towns mentioned are within 90 minutes of Dublin airport which is similar to several major international cities.

As I said, it only takes a little common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Another ridiculous statement. . .How about we decentralise 10000 government jobs from Dublin to Athlone, Roscommon, Birr, Longford and Carrick-on-Shannon towns - thats 2000 jobs each.

Thats less traffic on the road in Dublin, frees up probably 5000+ family homes which are in chronic shortage in the capital.
    15 minutes commute from those five towns brings people into rural villages and towns where there is plenty of housing stock at a fraction of the cost of the Dublin houses, post offices and garda stations and schools and shops/pubs can remain open because of the influx of people. So you now have probably an extra 20 million being spent in these areas instead of Dublin so other small businesses can develop.

That way Dublin doesn't have to "do this for most of Ireland".
    It would take someone with common sense to make this decision and a willingness to ignore unions looking (ridiculously) for relocation bonuses etc.

The motorway system in Ireland is very good and those towns mentioned are within 90 minutes of Dublin airport which is similar to several major international cities.

As I said, it only takes a little common sense.

We tried decentralisation. Workers want to work and live in Dublin (or at least a city). Anyways, we shouldn't rely on public jobs. I laugh when i hear people crying to TDs about banks and post offices closing. There's no profitable work for them, why would they stay. People who choose to live in isolated areas need to learn to use a computer or move.

As for extra cars in the capital, the city needs to have more spent on it, not less. By this, i mean a Metro. Parish pump stuff stops this happening as the resources are trickled down to do pointless things like bypassing Tralee and putting a railway line between Ennis and Athenry.

Anyway, this whole debate has just copper-fastened my vote for FG. Every opposition politician has jumped on the Save Roscommon bandwagon for not one decent reason. Ill always vote for less politicians, unnecessary councillors and (most importantly) tax cuts. If moneys going to be wasted, ill waste it myself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It does nothing of the sort.
    West side of the bridge has been ignored under the Westmeath system so it makes no sense apart from Westmeath gaining more money.
    Being in two seperate counties is not going to impact the college being made into a university or Athlone getting city status.

Ireland has county based councils. If we are to change that then by all means change the system so that each region is centred on a large urban area.

I completely agree and anyone just needs to take a walk or drive around the West side of town. There's nothing in terms of Anchoring Business. Yes there is Supervalue in Monkland, but the area in general seems a little decrepit.

Itzy wrote: »
    I completely agree and anyone just needs to take a walk or drive around the West side of town. There's nothing in terms of Anchoring Business. Yes there is Supervalue in Monkland, but the area in general seems a little decrepit.

I think that the logic is that for Westmeath currently it is a "road to nowhere" as they don't have control beyond the border.

Alot of decent cycle lanes now on Ballymahon Road/near college if you want good examples of work that has been done. Perhaps if expansion happened, this road would get better taken of rather than falling between 2 pillars.

As for the "west side of town run down" argument, the terrain is extremely hilly without a Golden Island style space to park cars etc; what are you supposed to do with it. For me, the only improvement possible would be to replace the derelict businesses with residential there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Awful argument ,Westmeath have ignored areas they have control of because it is a "road to nowhere" , by that logic they will ignore the outer reaches of the 30 km square of land they are looking for now if they were given it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

As for the "west side of town run down" argument, the terrain is extremely hilly without a Golden Island style space to park cars etc; what are you supposed to do with it. For me, the only improvement possible would be to replace the derelict businesses with residential there

The last thing the West hand side of town, especially Connaught street needs, is to replace derelict business premises with a residence. It actually needs Business investment to bring a little life back to it.

Itzy wrote: »
    The last thing the West hand side of town, especially Connaught street needs, is to replace derelict business premises with a residence. It actually needs Business investment to bring a little life back to it.

Space and the terrain is the issue. Would need some serious digging and flatenning to make businesses locate there

We tried decentralisation. Workers want to work and live in Dublin (or at least a city). Anyways, we shouldn't rely on public jobs. I laugh when i hear people crying to TDs about banks and post offices closing. There's no profitable work for them, why would they stay. People who choose to live in isolated areas need to learn to use a computer or move.

As for extra cars in the capital, the city needs to have more spent on it, not less. By this, i mean a Metro. Parish pump stuff stops this happening as the resources are trickled down to do pointless things like bypassing Tralee and putting a railway line between Ennis and Athenry.

Anyway, this whole debate has just copper-fastened my vote for FG. Every opposition politician has jumped on the Save Roscommon bandwagon for not one decent reason. Ill always vote for less politicians, unnecessary councillors and (most importantly) tax cuts. If moneys going to be wasted, ill waste it myself

and you've completely missed or ignored the point. Where are you getting your information on that "workers want to live in cities" ? A lot would be happier in the countryside or at least a small village.
    Decentralization didn't work because the powers that be were pandering to the unions. Seriously - relocation bonus? Anyone who sells a house in Dublin and moved to the country will have their bonus right there in the cost of living.
    Dublin only needs more money spent on it if we continually place all of our resources there. As for politicians - the local Fine Gael politicans are on record as being in the "Save Roscommon" camp so your copper-fastening of your vote on that basis is rather silly

As for politicians - the local Fine Gael politicans are on record as being in the "Save Roscommon" camp so your copper-fastening of your vote on that basis is rather silly

2 words: Party whip. They wont vote against it because they can't. Its not a big enough issue to abandon the party over.

2 words: Party whip. They wont vote against it because they can't. Its not a big enough issue to abandon the party over.

Yes, they can.
    It's happened before and if your think its not a big enough issue your not living in the real world.Denis Naughton voted against his party over Roscommon hospital - a decision which may have led to him being ousted from the party but will definitely have secured his seat at the next elections. The current candidate will definitely not get elected if she comes out in support of the change.

In any case it wouldn't come down to a vote as its within the ministers remit to make the decision himself.

• Advertisement

Yes, they can.
    It's happened before and if your think its not a big enough issue your not living in the real world.Denis Naughton voted against his party over Roscommon hospital - a decision which may have led to him being ousted from the party but will definitely have secured his seat at the next elections. The current candidate will definitely not get elected if she comes out in support of the change.

In any case it wouldn't come down to a vote as its within the ministers remit to make the decision himself.

Hospital was a big issue. More efficient County boundary is not. Naughten was correct in what he did. Of course there's a line(no pun intended).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

A group have been set up to halt plans to put Monksland and some other areas close to Athlone into Westmeath for budgetting etc.

I don't the protests. Roscommon is not an Urban county. Monksland's residents mainly work on the Westmeath side and thus should get the benefits of same. The area has far more in common with Westmeath than Roscommon. Finally, it is natural that a towns expansion means that its boundaries (for efficient gov purposes) also expands.

As it is, we end up with TDs who cannot utter a sentence without "Rurryl Ireland" this and that, rather than actually doing something for Monksland. You dont get the Healy-Rae types on the Westmeath side (the odd one ok, but plenty of choice in comparison).

No offence, and I am open to correction, but you sound like a blown in .

You are very dismissive of "rurryl Ireland". Part of the Monksland catchment area such as Cornafulla, Summerhill, (Clann na Gael Land) is what? Hardly urban. Up the road from Monksland is Bealamulla and then up to Brideswell and not far from Curraghaboy etc . Athlone itself is hardly urban around Coosan or out to Ballymahon / Glassan

Plenty of Rossies around Monksland area before the big housing expansion. As already noted by others, Dennis Naughton is someone who would easily get many an Athlonian vote . No doubt, the expansion to the Galway areas close to Athlone boosted his ability to top the poll recently despite Fitzmaurice.

Why should people want to trust Westmeath CC after the holy negligence they made of Connacht Street for over a decade.? How long was Jim Fawl's old pub allowed to be direlect before it was taken down?

Athlone is central to both counties. Only natural that there is a common grounds. (part of the western town was officially part of Roscommon before 1890's)

There is identity as well,particularly in football. You will always know that a Roscommon team are playing with flags and buntins around the town , even in Western part of Athlone. Same can ever be said about Westmeath. Hell, you would know Mayo are playing in a big game . The only time maroon and white is seen is when Galway are passing through on the way to Croker.

Speaking of Westmeath, Mullingar might as well be on the other side of the moon as far as Athlone is concerned. Moate maybe closer to Athlone with shared townlands but not Mullingar Hell, Ballinasloe has more commonality. Maybe Athlone should join Roscommon lol.

Plenty of choice politicians in Westmeath? Lol. You don't follow politics do you sir? Really? But hey, let us not diss the mighty TR Dallas . Councillor of Westmeath CC (still going?) Plenty of concern about rural issues there

What has Penrose done for Athlone since 1992? Paul McGrath of Fine Gael (remember him?) Donnie Cassidy?( Won a seat over Mary) The current Fianna Fáil TD, Michael Troy is hardly a man of the urban scene. Could Mary O'Rourke take all of the credit for what did come to Athlone during the 1990's? (as oppose to the County Town, Mullingar, getting it)

You are naive to think Boxer Moran, whose Independent Alliance does NOT have speaking rights yet (will if they mingle with another group) and in opposition (for now) is going to get things done immediately. (No doubt will work hard and pump hard) Maybe the way, the Healy Rae Political Machine has done pretty well for the Kingdom of Kerry. Dennis Naughten gave Fine Gael no option but to kick him out over Roscommon County Hospital protest. Penrose stayed with Labour (not the Parliamentary party of course) when he got shafted by the Government over Mullingar Barracks (where a lot of his vote came from). God forbid, Ming did more to raise the concerns of Roscommon and he was in opposition. Westmeath had two TD's (3 including Longford) in the last government parties..........what happened? (Yes, tough times , hard decisions)

As you know well, Monskland and Bealamulla expanded in 2000's when many Athlone families left (or fleed) well known housing estates in Athlone, which sadly, have gone to crap (eg Willow Park)

and you've completely missed or ignored the point. Where are you getting your information on that "workers want to live in cities" ? A lot would be happier in the countryside or at least a small village.
    Decentralization didn't work because the powers that be were pandering to the unions. Seriously - relocation bonus? Anyone who sells a house in Dublin and moved to the country will have their bonus right there in the cost of living.
    Dublin only needs more money spent on it if we continually place all of our resources there. As for politicians - the local Fine Gael politicans are on record as being in the "Save Roscommon" camp so your copper-fastening of your vote on that basis is rather silly

Prime Time at the time made it very clear that those in the effected Departments were not prepared to move from the Dublin region. Hence why decentralization was scrapped.

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Addle that's just more scaremongering Buccaneers Rugby based in Athlone Co Westmeath play in Connacht so sporting boundaries should not be an issue. By amalgamating both sides of Athlone it makes Athlone a stronger brand to entice more business & employment. Every month we hear jobs announced for Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway cities. Let's make Athlone a City lets get a Universty status, let Athlone be the biggest region in the BMW the bigger the fish you are the more you cannot be ignored. I don't care if it's Athlone Westmeath or Athlone Roscommon as long as Athlone grows which in turn will create better opportunity for our kids and grandkids . I'm from Westmeath side of Athlone but I envy not having a TD like Denis Naughton as do a lot of people on the Connacht side of Athlone who cannot vote for him. So let's look at the bigger picture for Athlone to develop further it needs to expand.

Rugby Clubs are not based on the County (I know you referred to Province) nor did rugby or soccer ever play a role in creating County Identities. Not long ago, Buccs were with Ballinasloe, Buccs could easily seek election to Leinster if they wished (why would they? too many trophies to win). Been a while Buccs (who are still going strong) created much hype in Athlone (League glamour went with rise of the provincial game) Marist Brothers play soccer in Connacht Schools Competitions so?

Different kettle of fish to compare the soccer/rugby scene over the GAA scene when it comes to County identity etc - You know this

If anything it would probably be better to hand over part of Athlone/Westmeath to Roscommon CC at least they have shown some initiative unlike their counterparts across the river.

What's the latest on this anyway?

What's the latest on this anyway?

I presume its been put to bed,stupid idea that was pushed forward by Labour/Alan Kelly.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I presume its been put to bed,stupid idea that was pushed forward by Labour/Alan Kelly.

Praise Allah/God/Jehovah and whatever you are having..What on earth was he/they thinking.?

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Praise Allah/God/Jehovah and whatever you are having..What on earth was he/they thinking.?

They werent thinking for about 5 years and that came home to roost in the GE.Bunch of ****ing idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

I thought there was going to be some sort of vote on it?
    http://www.shannonside.ie/news/dail-supports-bill-to-allow-people-in-south-roscommon-vote-on-any-possible-boundary-change/
    So going by the above think, fast tracked before summer means Autumn/Winter, so I guess it will be another year before the effected residents can vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Its not gone away boundary commission haven't issued there recommendations yet.

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Its not gone away boundary commission haven't issued there recommendations yet.

It will be 1690 & 1691 all over again. Get the pikes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Addle wrote: »
    If boundaries were to change based on where the residents worked, that'd mess up the whole country!

That's true. If that rule was applied in Waterford, Kilkenny just wouldn't exist!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

https://mobile.twitter.com/donnchup

Even Emma can't mess with the boundary!

Advertisement