Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glass bedding

Options
  • 28-12-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

where can you get a rifle stock glass bedded and how much does it cost.
    how much difference will it make to my groups. rifle is a cz 455 .17 hmr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

AFAIK you don't buy a 'pre bedded' stock. You bed your present action to your present stock.

Have a look through the tips section to see how it's done.
    It made my Sako 308 a 1/2 moa rifle from a 3/4 moa one, ON A GOOD DAY

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

thanks for the reply clivej. i know you have to get your own stock bedded just wondering does any gun smith do it.
    i was looking for a glass bedding kit on the net but they wont post to ireland.

skipking wrote: »
    thanks for the reply clivej. i know you have to get your own stock bedded just wondering does any gun smith do it.
    i was looking for a glass bedding kit on the net but they wont post to ireland.

I used 6mm ali tube from B&Q for the pillars and Devcon 10110 steel epoxy for the bedding. An Aldi dremel tool to reduce the timber off the stock a little to give the Devcon a key.

Feel the fear & do it anyway :eek::eek::eek:

thanks again clivej. have a dremil in the shed will give it a go in the new year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most gunsmiths will do it. Costs vary depending on smithy, but the average is between €250 - €300. Make sure to specify glass AND pillar bedding. They are two distinct types and some opt for the glass bedding only. Not sure if it'll save you anything or much to get glass bedding only.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Here is how I pillar bedded my Sako 75.
    Photo there also shows the first 100y 1/2" 5 shot group after the bedding job

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66882815&postcount=62

Link to another site with bedding details
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70439028&postcount=75

And here is my old CZ 452 pimped up.

CZvarmint1.jpg

Photo's of the bedding job

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98222302&postcount=97

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Go online. I have used cheap products in the past and regretted it soon after.

Devon is the best stuff going.

Do the job yourself if ye feel comfortable enough to proceed but read up and view plenty of vids on the subject first.
    Tbh it's easy but you won't want to stop there, next you'll be bedding scope mounts, lapping scope rings.

If ye gave s crapy plastic stock then it might be best changed prior to doing s bedding job. I'm not sure if all the effort wold be worth it for a wobbly plastic stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Cicognani in Italy have kits for €59, without pillars as they have to be cut to exact length, they will ship for a small fee, but do have to be paid by bank transfer, as by law in Italy they are not allowed to accept credit cards to firearm dealers, look up their site and type in bedding kits in their search , varide cicognani is the website

that is one good job clivej will give it a go in new year thanks to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Another option is Weicon, good selection. http://weicon.com/productfinder/productfinder.php?lang=EN

We bed a few rifles/stocks per week and use our own blend of materials based on aero quality epoxy resins. Same epoxy that the stocks are made of and therefore curing in the oven required. One can generally use epoxy laminating resins and mix aluminium powder and other fillers. The advantage is that one can control the viscosity better, often has longer pot life.

Very few actions can be bedded without having the actual rifle to hand. Barnard actions can 100% be bedded with another barnard action. They are possibly the worlds most accurate action. Certainly the outer surfaces. Tikka T3 if done properly is another. One has a very high chance that another T3 will fit perfectly. Of course only the action bedded and no part of the barrel.

edi

ps: Happy New Year to all

Advertisement