Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Power mitx FreeNAS Home File Server Build (€100 Budget)

Options
  • 28-12-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Okay I'm cheating a bit as I have most of the components already, I'm going to be using my HTPC's old case and PSU (Silverstone Milo ML05 and a 80+ 300W FSP PSU [can't remember the model number]) and I also already have the 2TB hard drive in an external USB enclosure like a cave man and a spare 32GB SSD for the OS and 6GB of DDR3 laptop RAM.
    So basically all I need is a motherboard, CPU and 2 fairly quiet 80mm fans for the case.
    The goal here is to store all our media (Music, Movie and Images) and be able to stream it and all my work stuff (I work in basic IT so mainly diagnostic tools, OS images, portable AVs and AMs etc etc.) but to do so with as little power consumption as possible without it chugging, There's only 3 main machines in the house, mine and my wife's desktops running on Windows and my atom based netbook running Linux Mint which I mainly use for work.
    So far I think this might be the best way to go:

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/info.asp?id=906123701

and 2 of these: http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90158715/sharkoon-system-fan-s-80x80x25mm.asp1

My main concern is even tho that CPU is extremely low on the power I'm just concerned if it's good enough FreeNAS or weather it's overkill in my situation and that I should just save about €30 and get the dual core version instead, or is there even a third option I am missing here?
    I've built plenty of NAS based servers in the past but only using Windows Server for heavy use and nothing as low quay as this so you can see where I might need some help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Freenas cares a lot more about RAM than CPU time, but with a single disk you won't even have any overhead there so an RPi would run it (and arguably might be better for a straight SMB share).

Thing is if you want it to do anything other than serve files? Having Plex transcode on the fly is pretty handy when not all devices can play all media natively but the CPU requirement is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Well I plan on adding a second drive eventually in one of the 2.5" bays to migrate all my work stuff there so will it be okay for that or would I have to upgrade the RAM to 8GB? but in large that is all it's going to be used for is basic file storing altho I do want to be able to map a network drive so I can stream my media, nothing too large now just some MP3 files and SD video files, nothing huge like HD video or lossless FLAC files since I rather get more out of my space than the highest quality of everything so would that be an issue for this?

Advertisement