Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prom closed 29 December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Saving Teresa from another embarrassing broadcast out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Maybe it is part to try prevent people parking their cars, going into the sea/trying to get photos etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

To protect eejits from themselves.

ETA - and also to prevent the emergency services having to put themselves in danger rescuing them when they get washed off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah but, we've had far worse storms and crap over the years..
    Why close the road this time?
    Surely, we need to close all roads that have trees, electricity poles, slated roofs etc etc

I think (without knowing the area terribly well, I'll admit) that it's the combination of proximity to the huge Atlantic swell expected, very high spring tides, very strong winds and the experience of the people who decide these things, built up over previous years, of people needing protection from themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thought this was only a yellow warning :confused:

Thought this was only a yellow warning :confused:
    Orange warning. And like I said, in combination with tides just coming off springs and a big Atlantic swell, makes for dangerous conditions near the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Lot's of people in difficulty today pushing prams close to exposed areas like seafronts- it's a good thing and sensible thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In previous storms, we've seen people here giving out about the council not doing enough to warn people. This is the opposite. They cannot win!

In previous storms, we've seen people here giving out about the council not doing enough to warn people. This is the opposite. They cannot win!
    They've gone too far imho.

• Advertisement

They really can't win, can they?

What would you have done?

Why, if it's so demonstrably and clearly going to be dangerous for the next 24 hours, would you care if it's closed? Do you want to go for a walk along the prom during the storm?

There are videos all over youtube of people with kids on piers, with the waves washing over them - of young fellas diving off the boards at Salthill into stormy waters - of people getting washed back by (and luckily not into) the sea - literally picked up off their feet and washed away - when huge waves break over the sea wall. With evidence like that to go on, why WOULDN'T they close a sea road? :confused:

Who do these people think are going to come and get them if the worst happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yeah but, we've had far worse storms and crap over the years..
    Why close the road this time?
    In years gone by, there were indeed as many idiots. There were not so many camera phones plus selfie sticks, enabling said idiots to take pointless photos of the sea without being able to keep an eye on the sea? Equal number of idiots, but an increase in the opportunities to win a Darwin Award? Best guess...
    Surely, we need to close all roads that have trees, electricity poles, slated roofs etc etc
    Sure, you'd have to close every highway and byway in the country! The Prom ain't vital for access.

My query is, why now?
    Why not say in other previously worse storms?
    Did something happen, did someone sue the Council or something?
    It's a bit of an overkill.

My query is, why now?
    Maybe during previous storms they didn't realise the potential for lethal stupidity on the part of Joe Public.

Maybe experience has told them that the only way to keep the public safe from the sea is to keep them away from the sea by closing the road.

I'll ask you again - why are you bothered? Were you planning to walk or drive along the prom during the storm?

I'm sooooo calling Joe and demanding a Galway version of de Clontarf wall then.

My query is, why now?

Maybe they learn from experience?

Maybe they learn from experience?
    Galway City Council?
    tsk tsk tsk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The storm hasn't begun yet, how do you know it won't be as bad as previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Prudent precaution.

If there was a fatality or serious injury many would be complaining of breach of duty by the Council

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will those with businesses in the area be compensated for the closure?

• Advertisement

Will those with businesses in the area be compensated for the closure?
    Christ.

Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rumour has it some people park their cars on the prom in the hope that they are swamped and our goodselves thru the insurance companies get them new ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rumour has it some people park their cars on the prom in the hope that they are swamped and our goodselves thru the insurance companies get them new ones!

This only a rumour...wouldn't happen in Ireland;)

We can be sure of one thing, that despite weather warnings and tidal/wave warnings we will see some people drown due to their stupidity in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Lets hope it's kept to a minimum and emergency services personnel are safe responding to idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I am all for safety but closing Salthill prom to through traffic at midday is madness, high tide is not until 7.30pm tonight at the moment its still going out. Close the car parks and depending how the storm shapes up close the road later but not at midday

Update road still open lots of cars parked along the prom and in the car parks tide is waaaay out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Galway City Council has postponed the planned closure of the prom at Salthill this afternoon.

The prom was due to close to all traffic at 12pm, but the council says it’s now minitoring the weather conditions and tides, and will close the prom later today if necessary.

High winds and high tides are expected to lead to severe flooding in coastal parts.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Galway City Council has postponed the planned closure of the prom at Salthill this afternoon.
    The prom was due to close to all traffic at 12pm, but the council says it’s now minitoring the weather conditions and tides, and will close the prom later today if necessary.
    High winds and high tides are expected to lead to severe flooding in coastal parts.
    Y'see, I was right
    *smug* :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The flood defence equipment isn't setup at the Spanish Arch..... high tide tonight around 8pm .

Pretty pointless having the equipment if they don't use it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

My query is, why now?

I think they will get away with it because it's the Christmas period (and they could be short staffed) but I doubt they would do it during a typical working week. Only a small portion of the prom actually floods so it is overkill.

Edit: Just saw the postponement.

• Advertisement

Ok, they've closed it now
    Due to strengthening winds and rain, the prom is now closed to all traffic, and diversions are in place.
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/681847198854836224

Advertisement