Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prom closed 29 December

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Will those with businesses in the area be compensated for the closure?

Frank doesn't have any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Will those with businesses in the area be compensated for the closure?

No, they'll be thanking the council that they had the opportunity to sand-bag without pesky customers getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How come the Council bought an inflatable barrier for 40k and they have not put it in place at Spanish Arch, only in Galway 😡

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How come the Council bought an inflatable barrier for 40k and they have not put it in place at Spanish Arch, only in Galway 😡

That would be make too much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That would be make too much sense

Thanks Yoda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Because they've established that it won't be needed. There might be over overspill down at the Spanish Arch area, but it will be minimal.

It would be incredibly embarrassing not to deploy it in such conditions if you weren't 110% positive - so I'm sure it's a very educated decision.

It's been deployed in the past for less obviously poor weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

High tide there in about half an hour.

We can be sure of one thing, that despite weather warnings and tidal/wave warnings we will see some people drown due to their stupidity in the next few days.

The news reported on some gnome swimming this afternoon. Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

High tide this evening is 5m, whereas a big spring tide is ~5.6-5.7m. That's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not Galway I know, but some idiot decided to climb Carrigtwohill as well and broke his leg. It took twenty mountain rescue personnel to stretcher him down.
    The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Not Galway I know, but some idiot decided to climb Carrigtwohill as well and broke his leg. It took twenty mountain rescue personnel to stretcher him down.
    The mind boggles.

He should be charged for their time. Including danger pay. The idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

High tide in Galway passed. Any flooding reported?

M

The mind boggles.

We need to start billing idiots like this or locking them up for their own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Watch the 9' O'Clock news if you want any further evidence that this was the right decision- one stupid plonker went for a swim earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Watch the 9' O'Clock news if you want any further evidence that this was the right decision- one stupid plonker went for a swim earlier.

Saw this at 6. There's always one!

Also saw the rescue services looking for a submerged car on the shannon.

M

Any cars left parked in the carpark at Salthill seafront?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Authorities / council / emergency service / volunteers etc are constantly ridiculed here, can't do any right by a few negative posters who you get the impression that they are hoping they fail in their efforts(for example a poster here essentially called some Galway business people who were fund raising cowards for not sleeping outdoors during the height of storm Desmond). Either they are over or under reacting. You can be sure they will get no credit for their actions here

From the outset the tone of this thread and from the OP was all in the hope that it would be a mild storm so they could all point fingers at the authorities from their warm homes

Anyway well done and thanks to the volunteers / authorities for their continued hard work, it hasn't been easy over the last month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

To be fair, it was not clear from the news when exactly that swimmer was in the water. I was on the prom twice today (11am and 2:30pm) and the conditions were quite pleasant and absolutely fine for the daily dip. I get that conditions worsened as we got closer to darkness but there were ample windows of opportunity for a swim earlier today. I have swam in a lot worse down there. There are windows most days, even in the winter.

Look, there are people that religiously swim in Blackrock 365 days a year. I tried to do it one year and failed miserably so I have a lot of respect for them. These people are generally very good and experienced swimmers and they know the best ways in and out of the sheltered side of the diving board. I have never heard of any of these regulars getting into trouble.

So just because the Six One news shows footage of a swimmer in Blackrock, it does not automatically mean the person is reckless or putting emergency services into danger.

Let's not all be Teresa Mannions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

What's all the fuss about. Can a person not go for a swim without some plonker with a camera jump out from behind a rock to take his picture and plaster it all over the WWW and the news. Did he call for any help NOOOOOOO, did he know what he was doing I'm sure he did. Did he walk out alive and unhurt YES he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

What's the story down the Spanish Arch? Has the water level receded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Well said Baggy Trousers totally agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Authorities / council / emergency service / volunteers etc are constantly ridiculed here, can't do any right by a few negative posters who you get the impression that they are hoping they fail in their efforts(for example a poster here essentially called some Galway business people who were fund raising cowards for not sleeping outdoors during the height of storm Desmond). Either they are over or under reacting. You can be sure they will get no credit for their actions here

From the outset the tone of this thread and from the OP was all in the hope that it would be a mild storm so they could all point fingers at the authorities from their warm homes

Anyway well done and thanks to the volunteers / authorities for their continued hard work, it hasn't been easy over the last month or so

Indeed, I see what you mean;)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Will the Ennis to Galway bus be running tomorrow? A lot of places on the bus route seem to be flooded :/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Godot. wrote: »
    Will the Ennis to Galway bus be running tomorrow? A lot of places on the bus route seem to be flooded :/

Based on this: http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1929&month=Dec

I'd say "yes".

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rambler11

Godot. wrote:
    Will the Ennis to Galway bus be running tomorrow? A lot of places on the bus route seem to be flooded

I think the only issue is Labane and the buses are following the diversion from what i saw today.

Advertisement