Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2012 R2 SID

• 28-12-2015 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

hi

I have a few servers that appear to have to same SID on them, these are all configured and setup with APPS on them, so I dont want to run SYSprep on these, as it will blow them off the domain again and possiblly upset the existing configuration.

I know back on Server 2008 you could run NEW SID, is there some little tool / app I can run on Server 2012r2 to generate a new SID.

these joined the domain fine and appear to all ok but I would like a NEW SID just for peace of mind any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

hi Thanks for that, I had found that, but just wondering is there any tool to change it. ??

Even in VM same SID is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are any of these servers acting as domain controllers presently?
    Domain controllers will have the same machine SID, a different object SID.

(The machine SID of the first promoted DC is assigned as the machine SID for following DCs)

From the Sysinternals article, 3rd last paragraph...
    Every Domain has a unique Domain SID that’s the machine SID of the system that became the Domain’s first DC, and all machine SIDs for the Domain’s DCs match the Domain SID.

---

If not, I'd be hesitant about anything other than the demote, sysprep /generalise, rejoin, promote. You can create an unattended.xml with a couple of lines to stop sysprep from mucking with drivers.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715820.aspx

There's commercial products like
    http://www.stratesave.com/html/sidchg.html

but can't vouch for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

cool thanks doe your help :)

they are just all member server running APPs no Exchange Dc, or Exchange

Advertisement