Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade laptop advice?

Options
  • 28-12-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello I just recently got an acer aspire f 15 f5-571-39FD laptop 4gb ram

I would like to try do some upgrades to it if possible just to simpilay lean how to

Is there any possible upgrades I can do such and increase ram to 8gb?

Can anybody help me in picking the correct parts to upgrade and any advice on how to get started
    Purely just want to get started to learn thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

daylers wrote: »
    Hello I just recently got an acer aspire f 15 f5-571-39FD laptop 4gb ram

I would like to try do some upgrades to it if possible just to simpilay lean how to

Is there any possible upgrades I can do such and increase ram to 8gb?

Can anybody help me in picking the correct parts to upgrade and any advice on how to get started
    Purely just want to get started to learn thanks in advance

I recently put a ssd in my laptop and it the Best upgrade you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

+1 on the SSD, they were going for about £40 on Amazon a few days ago for 240gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daylers

This is the laptop if anybody can help point me in the right direction

+1 on the SSD, they were going for about £40 on Amazon a few days ago for 240gb.

Sorry I'm new to computers, what's a sdd and what are the advantages of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Sorry I'm new to computers, what's a sdd and what are the advantages of it?

Its a solid state drive, it has no moving parts so is a lot faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't bother upgrading to 8GB of ram unless you have a very specific use that requires that much ram, but an SSD would definitely be a good buy, makes a massive difference.

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Its a solid state drive, it has no moving parts so is a lot faster.

Oh I see, is there any downsides to upgrading to an sdd and is it generally difficult or easy?
    would each sdd be model specific

I wouldn't bother upgrading to 8GB of ram unless you have a very specific use that requires that much ram, but an SSD would definitely be a good buy, makes a massive difference.

I play a few games on the laptop and just wondering would ram make much of a diffrenve to how they run? Minimum for them is 4gb ram?

Also just was intrested in upgrading it purely for the experience but no idea where to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Oh I see, is there any downsides to upgrading to an sdd and is it generally difficult or easy?
    would each sdd be model specific

It's generally a case of unscrewing a few small screws in the bottom, taking the old Hard Disk Drive out and putting the new Solid State Drive in.

Only thing is you'll need to re-install windows on the SDD, or "ghost" your hard drive to the ssd.

You can download and install Speccy which will give you details of the hardware on your machine. For example what type of RAM that's installed and how many free slots are on the device (usually two).

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

me_irl wrote: »
    It's generally a case of unscrewing a few small screws in the bottom, taking the old Hard Disk Drive out and putting the new Solid State Drive in.

Only thing is you'll need to re-install windows on the SDD, or "ghost" your hard drive to the ssd.

You can download and install Speccy which will give you details of the hardware on your machine. For example what type of RAM that's installed and how many free slots are on the device (usually two).

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Would an ssd make the laptop any better at running games?
    Or would more ram benifit me more or both?

They work as is but would be always nice to improve on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

Would an ssd make the laptop any better at running games?
    Or would more ram benifit me more or both?

They work as is but would be always nice to improve on it

Is this the laptop?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/52295/acer-aspire-v5-571-review

What games were you thinking of? It won't be able to run any new games like gta 5, battlefield, fifa etc or. Be fine for minecraft or some games that are 10 years old.

ponzook wrote: »
    Is this the laptop?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/52295/acer-aspire-v5-571-review

What games were you thinking of? It won't be able to run any new games like gta 5, battlefield, fifa etc or. Be fine for minecraft or some games that are 10 years old.

Slightly different to that one I think

I'm useing my brothers old steam account just to see what would work and I've been playing euro truck simulator, sims 3 and also downloaded skyrim just to see how it would do and it's worked fine for the hour and a half of it I played on low graphics setting

Decided that if I wanted to learn about computers better first look at the one I have what the parts do and what I can change to be better, my goals eventually to know enough to build a dedicated desktop for gaming

I tried googling the name of the laptop that's on the sticker "acer aspire f5-571" but none of the laptops that came up had the same specs, mine is 4gb ram, intel core i3, intel hd graphics and 1tb had running windows 10

When I googled the name it was laptops with 8gb of ram coming up ect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ssd makes os windows boot faster ,and games load up faster
    Many games need a i 5 cpu,and a 500vram graphics card to run a high quality
    so 8 gig ram might make very little difference in running games if you have a basic graphics card .
    i have a 500gig drive,
    i have no interest in getting a ssd drive .

Maybe buy a pc on adverts.ie ,one with i5 cpu
    with with pci express slot ,
    an put more ram and a fast graphics card into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I play a few games on the laptop and just wondering would ram make much of a diffrenve to how they run? Minimum for them is 4gb ram?

Also just was intrested in upgrading it purely for the experience but no idea where to start

No, it wouldn't make any difference. It's not a gaming laptop, and will only be able to play old games- that's due to the graphics card, not the amount of ram, and it cannot be changed.

I know it will never be suited for games I knownte graphics chip is very basic, just thought or would be beast to teach myself about computers/laptops on a cheaper one like this as opposed to a proper more expensive pc

Just want to get the confidence so that I can eventually build a pc for gaming, laptop is more of a stepping stone

Buy a cheap pc,
    make sure its got a pci express slot.
    at least 1 gig ram.
    it would be a waste of money upgrading that laptop .
    Years ago i bought ,a grahics nvidia card 500meg vram,
    i put it into the pc.
    IT, did not last long.
    I did not understand it needed a connection to the power supply ,
    to run the large cooling fan it had.
    Plenty of cheap pc,s for sale on adverts.ie

thanks for the advice, what is a pci slot?

I Mean a pci express slot,
    thats the latest standard for video cards .
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/pci-express.htm
    older pcs use agp slots for graphics cards.
    i assume pc will be used for gaming .
    then you can buy ,install a fast pci express video card .

• Advertisement
Advertisement