Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install SSD in Imac

• 29-12-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for advice on how easy it is to install a new solid state drive in a late 2009 apple imac? Would it make much of a difference to the all round speed and performance of the imac? It has slowed down alot in the past year or so looking to upgrade it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ifixit will have a guide for it. Have a look and judge for your self.

Ps you will get a better resopnse on the mac forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It'll transform it, I just done it in a mac book pro

Put what ever drive your looking at it here and you'll find the best price https://www.curiua.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There's a thread about this elsewhere but the poster is replacing the existing HDD rather than the CD Drive. Replacing the CD drive is the simplest option and the kits are readily available along with illustrated guides.

Replacing the existing HDD is a bit trickier. In the iMac the HDD had a built in temperature sensor (at least it does in the 2010 model). There's a 4 or 6 pin connector that connects to the installed HDD but there's no such connector on the SSD. If you leave it disconnected the fans will run at full speed all the time.

OWC sell a kit to solve this issue, it's to allow the installation of any hard drive into an iMac replacing the original drive. If you install the CD replacement unit you simply stick the existing external sensor to the new drive.

Good luck !

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice on how easy it is to install a new solid state drive in a late 2009 apple imac? Would it make much of a difference to the all round speed and performance of the imac? It has slowed down alot in the past year or so looking to upgrade it. Any advice is much appreciated.

I got a SSD put into my 2009 Mac mini a few months ago, made a big difference. The difference is most noticeable in how fast things open. The apps open after 2/3 bounces in the dock instead of the 10/11 it had been taking.

I know mine's not an iMac, but for the sake of information, I got 250gb SSD plus an extra 4gb of RAM, parts and labor for about €250.

Advertisement