Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting & mice problem!

Options
2»

Comments

If there is no food there are no mice. But no person is so spot less. Cleaning, bait and traps. Wire wool in every gap and crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

joleen100 wrote: »
    A very minute piece of chocolate behind a shelving unit - I had a Christmas partner with 10 kids!!!! I can assure you the rest of the house is spotless and I normally don't allow the kids eat anywhere but at the kitchen table! The playroom has since being emptied and scrubbed cleaned along with all the shelving units. Nothing caught in traps so far and no further sightings or noises heard.

I am hoping they are gone but if not I will be calling rentokil with the landlords permission! I think I have done everything I can to catch them or prevent occurrence.

Thanks all.

Even if there is no food, which is almost impossible, in cold weather mice will enter just for the heat. They can squeeze through a gap the size of a one cent coin and even smaller. Just get traps, rentakill is a bit much when traps cost like 2 euro for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

colm_c wrote:
    DIY mouse trap:

Enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

If there is no food there are no mice. But no person is so spot less. Cleaning, bait and traps. Wire wool in every gap and crack.

The will enter due to heat, one of two reasons they are always behind the oven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Galadriel wrote: »
    I thought this as well but a friend of mine has had to get rentokil out a few times (mice coming in from neighbours attic) and the stuff they use apparently mummifies (or something like it) the bodies so no smell.

Hmmmm not quite true..,
    Yes rentokil go for poison option.
    We got rentokil in and what they neglected to tell us was that mice/rats seek out water after ingesting poison. Our rodents disappeared alright but months later I got sick of getting weird smell in water and checked out tank in the attic. Two half rotten rats were stewing away in the tank.
    so make sure your tank is covered first OP.

BTW landlord had no problem paying for rentokil so it's worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Even if there is no food, which is almost impossible, in cold weather mice will enter just for the heat. They can squeeze through a gap the size of a one cent coin and even smaller. Just get traps, rentakill is a bit much when traps cost like 2 euro for 5.

+1.

Also wear gloves (latex type things) if you are using traps. The human smell may put mice off.

I use bread dipped in water and mould it around the bait loop. (Wooden traps are the best) I find it takes a day or two to get anything.

Have got 20 mice every winter for the past 10 years doing the above.

Don't seal up holes till you have the mice. They will just end up in the walls and its easier to catch them in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,716 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

colm_c wrote: »

Probably the same as a human lad jumping up the walls of a 3 or 4 storey house and escaping, you couldn't actually believe how he manages to gets out each time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I feel sorry for any mouse I have to kill, usually they are driven indoors by the inability to acquire food outdoors. its especially problematic when the ground is frozen

The main issue if not dealt with properly is the population grows.

I remember a rental when I was a student, we had a big mouse issue, The Borgias was on TV at the time and we named each mouse after a character, many died in strange and bizarre ways !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Correct, they won't smell, the sticky pads of glue work great but not sure if they are legal here anymore. After day one of the talcum powder you will know where to lay them. But blocking up the entry point is the only way to go. If the droppings are in the kitchen most likely from the back of the press or behind the oven. They love those crumbs from the grill. And bacon rind and chocolate is the best bait.

Please do not use glue traps. They are the cruellest things. The pain and terror of being stuck to something and dying there after a long time..Poison that dehydrates is also a slow painful death. Traps are at least fast. Traps are cheap enough and you do not need to touch the mouse. Drop a paper bag atop the trap and scoop it up. I am sure that as a mother you have dealt with far worse things than a dead mouse..nappies... sick! I am in deep rural land and have cats outdoors and in and a terrier and no rodent would dare come near. Even homing an outdoor cat will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

solargain wrote: »
    By your own admission there was chocolate in the play room after the children , mice can get in anywhere & there will be more than one, How is this the landlords problem????

Chocolate? In the play room?? After children??? I don't know if I want to live in a world with such atrocities.

This isn't like leaving bags of rubbish hanging around. The mice didn't come in for the playroom chocolate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement