Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching ram

Options
  • 29-12-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I have a dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 10. I recently put a ssd into it and I'm not sure if I should do anything about the ram. It has 2 2gb sticks, both are the ddr2 400mhzbut different manufacturers.

8gb is too expensive so would I notice a difference if I bought a pair of 800mhz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you talking going 4gb at 800mhz on 8gb with 4 at 400mhz and 4 at 800mhz?

In the case of the second, the faster RAM will be slowed to the speed of the slower one

First case, difference isn't worth it

The 8gb at 400mhz will serve better if you're stuck for memory, if you're not hitting 4gb then another 4 is useless.

Not sure why I explained backwards, but anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah I meant would 4gb at 800mhz be any better than 4gb at 400mhz and does it matter that they are different manufacturers or not bought together?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not really, it'd be a little faster but not worth it.

It's better if they're all the same age, speed and manufacturer but its not do or die, you can mix and match if you have to

Advertisement