Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strength training

Options
  • 29-12-2015 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi so I've lifted weights and stuff for a good few years but looking to do some strength specfic training in my off season (playing American football) . Basically looking for more brute force strength to start off with not strength and condition etc. So I found this 5x5 program online just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this type of program and what they thought of it

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What weights have you been doing for years?
    Brute force strength is not different to any other stremgth tbh. You simply want to get stronger.

As for that program. It's basically a standard 5x5 program, the main lifts nearly identical to stronglifts 5x5. It's no means perfect, but its better than 80-90% of the programs that they published out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

Just your standard weight lifting routines 3-4 sets 4 times a week etc. It seems like one of the easier routines to do, but yeah a lot of bs out there that's why I thought I'd ask . 80% doesn't sound to bad ha cheers for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Just your standard weight lifting routines 3-4 sets 4 times a week etc. It seems like one of the easier routines to do, but yeah a lot of bs out there that's why I thought I'd ask . 80% doesn't sound to bad ha cheers for the reply

Tbh you should've been getting stronger with your standard routines for the last few years anyway.

The basics of progressive overload mean you should be aiming to do more reps, sets and/or weight. 5x5 basically does the same thing.

It has but I'm looking for more strength specific training to help with sport . Generally with sports such as rugby American football etc these types of exercises do help . I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this programme and how they found it as everyone claims to have the best

Also probably just a change from my regular training should do me good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

When I was involved in coaching an American Football team the gym based stuff was based on DeFrancos programming - I just adjusted the movement selection based on the position.

As most of the guys trained in different gyms it was easy enough for them to modify their exercises based on available equipment

https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/

• Advertisement

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

5/3/1 is another good option.

I don't really like it that much, but unless you've got someone to build a program specifically for you, do either that or defranco's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Hanley wrote: »
    5/3/1 is another good option.

I don't really like it that much, but unless you've got someone to build a program specifically for you, do either that or defranco's stuff.

There's f*ck all volume in 531 though. 1x a week squatting is very low imo.

Cheers great feedback have a long off season so definitely gives me some ideas ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

There's f*ck all volume in 531 though. 1x a week squatting is very low imo.

Not any more, Wendler has evolved the program ALOT since the original 5/3/1 edition (which was actually created for general fitness trainees, not 'serious' trainees). Check out beyond 5/3/1 or just google it as the information is widely available.

TLDR- the new version of 5/3/1 is vastly improved, generally squatting 2x a week is the norm now using 5/3/1 + FSL or multiple sets, and with BBB if you want (and it can be 5x5, 5x3, 5x1, 5x10). Wendler has produced so many variations of the program now, including beyond 5/3/1. Personally the "Spinal tap" training has become my favorite way to use this program, this is basically doing any entire cycle of 531 in one work out, albeit without amrap and all done for triples.

with 5/3/1, personally I would recommend the 3/5/1 model as I have found better progress with it, and it breaks up the workouts a bit better into a sort of medium/light/heavy set up. Also follow Wendlers recommendations for support work, **** tonnes of upper back work and lat work ala chinning, face pulls, and db rows generally do the trick.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Advertisement