Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time mortgage application & property advice

Options
  • 29-12-2015 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all. I'm a 28 year old male in the North West of Ireland on an income of 27k per annum and the (idea of the) buying bug has hit me in. I hope to apply for a first mortgage in the next 6 months so this could be an interesting journey....

Financial Background:
    I've spent about 6/8 months bumping up finances the CA and the past 10 weeks I've set up a DD of €200 per week to go from my CA to Savings. In those 10 weeks I've obviously saved €2,000 but my CA capital has also risen €1,000 in the same period - hopefully proving that my day to day CA shouldn't be affected if I continue to pump €200 per week into a mortgage (even if it's unlikely I'd commit to such high repayments)
    I've no credit cards, never had an overdraft, never been in debt and no dependents.
    Essentially I have followed advice directed toward FTBs thus far.

Bottom line, I have saved close to €10,000 (8k in CA / 2k in savings - regular payments)

What property I'm seeking?:
    An apartment or house in or after the 60/100k mark. I'm also open minded to entering the rental property market while occupying the property. Most likely purchasing in Sligo.

Other factors:
    I've a permanent position for over a year in an established company and expect my wage to increase. My debt free next of kin could be a guarantor on any mortgage I go for.
    A mortgage of €80,000 over 25/30 years is fine by me

1- Based on the above how far away would I be from securing a mortgage for say €80,000.
    2- Which lender is favorable for first time buyers?
    3- Is the 10% deposit guidelines for FTBs something lenders will stand by/honour based on what you know?
    4- What hidden aspects of mortgage application should I be looking out for from lenders?
    5- Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Good work! Few pointers based on your post:
    1) keep it up, 12 months of that savings and go talk to bank/broker
    2) can you squeeze more than 200 p/w to savings? Do as much as you can without causing shortages in CA
    3) Don't dip into the savings at all
    4) Prepare evidence (if you have it) of source of funds/savings

Best of luck.

Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

That's great me and my OH are in the process of applying. We applied in December and were told to bump up our savings. We've 11k saved so far and were told to at least have 16/17k in savings as we'd qualify for a mortgage of between 120/140k. Houses in our area are in those ranges so, 13k deposit 1,300 stamp duty 600 for surveyor and maybe 2k for solicitor. We are saving 330 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Myself and OH applied for a mortgage of 150k, based on our combined earnings, savings of 22k, in our jobs about 3 months after returning from 3years in Australia. All feedback was good, application was submitted and a few days later got told it was declined on the basis of us only being back in the country 5 months and in our jobs 3months.

Has anyone had any luck getting a mortgage without being in a job for over a year? 3 years of living on your own independence makes it very hard to live back at home and we want to get our own place asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

padjo5 wrote: »
    Good work! Few pointers based on your post:
    1) keep it up, 12 months of that savings and go talk to bank/broker
    2) can you squeeze more than 200 p/w to savings? Do as much as you can without causing shortages in CA
    3) Don't dip into the savings at all
    4) Prepare evidence (if you have it) of source of funds/savings

Best of luck.

Paddy.

What is CA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    What is CA?

Current account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Well Done so Far OP.

Currently saving myself and will be applying in February with my partner. I do have a quick question however if someone can help me.

We currently have 25k+ saved and have a combined salary of over 75k a year, my main worry is that i am in my current job (which is permanent) for little over 4 months.have been employed all year but recently changed. My partner has been in the same job for over 10 years.

My question is - is there a chance that we could be refused as i am new enough in my job? or will they disregard it due to his 10+ years.

thanks

Would you still be under probation? I'd hold out on applying until your over 6 months in your job. My OH is on a contract and has been with the company 2 years and it's 99.9% secure but the bank questioned it when we applied a month ago. It's not going to stop us getting a mortgage it's just the fact the banks hate contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 deisedays

My own experience-
    I tried all the banks, some are more risk averse than others, but I don't want to name names.
    The bank will generally look for 1 yrs plus employment and a definite prospect that you will continue to be employed for the foreseeable future.
    I would have concerns about the level of your salary- banks generally look for stronger earning capacity as they will stress test your application by + 2% of an interest rate rise and don't want to see more than 35% of your take home pay going on mortgage repayments. Remember that property tax, utilities (e.g. water charges!!), house insurance etc all have to be paid when you move in...a seemingly affordable mortgage payment may not seem so affordable when you take this into account
    10% deposit is the bare minimum. You will also need to budget for a structural survey (approx. €300), valuation (€160ish), legal fees and related stuff (€2000) and stamp duty @ 1% (e.g. €1000).
    After this lenders might like to see that you have a small nest egg for emergencies and that the mortgage process hasn't left you with literally a spare cent....so maybe budget for 3-4 months mortgage payments to have aside.
    Add to that, the cost of furnishing and ongoing maintenance ( a replacement oil boiler could cost €2000- do you have this money aside??)

Sorry to be negative but I think you are earning far too little money at the moment to consider a house purchase. Unless you expect yur income to dramatically rise, I would keep saving away but hold off from buying right now.
    Don't be fooled by the seemingly low price of houses without taking into account the cost of paying for and maintaining a property

Does solicitor fees have me going cuckoo, we've 12k saved now bank said come back when you've at least 16/17k as we'd need money left for solicitor, stamp duty etc. Houses we would be going for are between 100/140k

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

but you will need to have the money to pay for the solicitor before you close on the house aswell as stamp duty so that's why they are telling you to come back when you have more saved. you simply wont be able to buy the house unless you have factored in stamp duty and solicitors fees in your savings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

Quick question, generally how is the maximum mortgauge amount worked out, ie a couple with 70k combined earnings with 60k savings?

no more then 3.5 times your combined annual salary is the amount you can borrow

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Planning on going for a mortgage this year too - have just over 20K saved and enough in combined salary for a mortgage of about 240K (saving 2K p/m so will have enough for deposits and fees etc by the end of the summer). Bit worried though as I have an overdraft I am clearing but have used quite a bit last year. Has anyone applied and been successful with an OD on the account? Hoping to have it removed by March but dont want to have to wait 6 months after that before I can apply.. Thanks & good luck everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'm just wondering how typical people afford a house. I would imagine a significant part of the population are earning 20-30k a year so I always wonder how has house prices risen so far out of reach of regular workers?

@jen44 I know that I need the money to cover solicitor and stamp hence why I said we'd actually need 16/17k before going back to the bank. The other things like making sure we're not broke after the sale will be saved hopefully once we get approval. Should have 16k start of March but the typical house sale being 3/4 months to close we'd have another 5k saved in the meantime as we are saving 1600 a month now. As for incomes, I'm on 27k and my oh is on around 16k and we were told we'd be fine as the mortgage we are able to afford comes within all the stress tests. 120/140k mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Pretty much in the same boat as you Santy2015, itching to get our own place. Best of luck!

Pretty much in the same boat as you Santy2015, itching to get our own place. Best of luck!
    Add your reply here.
    Itching isn't the word. Pushing hard with savings but still have money to go for a meal or a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I am waiting on contracts now on a house, sole buyer with average income.

I had an overdraft which was continuously overdrawn for the last few years, the bank I'm with overlooked this once it was paid off and in fact only wanted 3 months worth of savings record to get my approved. Luckily I have more than that!

Solicitors fees with stamp duty will probably come in at about 3500, keep another few hundred for new locks etc and I shook have some cash to do the bathroom up and get new windows if I'm lucky.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how typical people afford a house. I would imagine a significant part of the population are earning 20-30k a year so I always wonder how has house prices risen so far out of reach of regular workers?

Couples both on €25/30k would have been able to borrow almost €200k after saving a combined €1k/month for 2/3 years.

A single person on 20-30k a year would have less property options of course.

Agree here but 200k is most likely an apartment price (in Dublin area). How are there so many houses going for 300-800k? That seems to be the standard rate which is well outside most peoples earnings.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    ........... How are there so many houses going for 300-800k? That seems to be the standard rate which is well outside most peoples earnings.

€300/€400k homes being bought by better off couples or people trading up.

One must remember that up to and prior to 2000/2002 lots of people bought houses for relatively small money compared what they were going for.

Though there may be many houses going for upwards of €500k that wouldn't be most houses, that accepted there is a significant minority of people that have lots of cash reserves &/or high incomes from employment or business interests.

Easily explained. My brother and his wife have a combined income of 135K with "ordinaryish" jobs... accountant (85K) and nurse (50K).
    Cleared for a mortgage of 500K, add on your deposit and you are easily in the market for a 550k plus house.
    Lots of folks like that in Dublin so I'm sure that accounts for the properties in this price range in the "better" parts of town, even for first time buyers.
    IMHO even if cleared for a mortgage of 500k it makes far more financial sense to buy a (perfectly adequate) residence for 200k and put the rest of the funds, if borrowing money is your thing, into an investment property or two, to rent out. This way, if things work out, you might be able to sell up all in 10 years and trade up, or if things go pear shaped, dispose of the investment properties and not find oneself lumbered with one massive mortgage.

deisedays wrote: »
    Easily explained. My brother and his wife have a combined income of 135K with "ordinaryish" jobs... accountant (85K) and nurse (50K).
    Cleared for a mortgage of 500K, add on your deposit and you are easily in the market for a 550k plus house.
    Lots of folks like that in Dublin so I'm sure that accounts for the properties in this price range in the "better" parts of town, even for first time buyers.
    IMHO even if cleared for a mortgage of 500k it makes far more financial sense to buy a (perfectly adequate) residence for 200k and put the rest of the funds, if borrowing money is your thing, into an investment property or two, to rent out. This way, if things work out, you might be able to sell up all in 10 years and trade up, or if things go pear shaped, dispose of the investment properties and not find oneself lumbered with one massive mortgage.

Great post. Only thing I disagree on here is surely the majority of couples aren't accountants and nurses. For example teachers are only on 30k odd starting out...and most regular jobs, bar men, basic office work are only 25-30k.

an accountant earning 85k is not an ordinaryish job, at 85k he is a very senior level accountant maybe even a partner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If your working for one of the big 4 80 k is not massive. A friend of mine is four years out of college and on 68 k with deloitte. I'm mad jealous.

thats my point tho a person with four years experience is on 68k therefore the person on 85k is hardly what you would call in an ordinary job. Anyway its a bit off topic just caught my eye as hubby is an accountant at management level and is not earning near 85k granted its not one of the big 4 firms but a decent practice all the same. Same goes for the nurse on 50k. I happen to be a nurse in middle level management (CNM 2) and earn 50k so its quite far off the salary a staff nurse would be on, hardly ordinary jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Agreed. Hopefully the market prices will start to reflect wages more closely in the next couple of years. Or we all get massive salary bumps.

I'm sorry but why would I lie?
    That's what they earn and that's the kind of mortgage they can get even with the new rules. That's the point I'm trying to make and show why houses in Dublin have buyers at prices of 500k plus, no problem.
    A lot of professions, esp those based in Dublin would regard 80 k as a sort of "minimum wage"

That's what they earn and that's the kind of mortgage they can get even with the new rules. That's the point I'm trying to make and show why houses in Dublin have buyers at prices of 500k plus, no problem.
    A lot of professions, esp those based in Dublin would regard 80 k as a sort of "minimum wage"

I was not suggesting that you are lying I was saying that those salaries are not what you would consider ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

OK, i don't think anyone was saying you were lying - just the people have largely different perceptions of what constitutes an ordinary job. As it happens, based on my own life, i'd tend to agree with you.

Myself and my OH have about the same combined income and I wouldnt consider us massively opulent or overly well paid relative to those around us. Its just more normal to earn that kind of money in Dublin, and as a result houses also cost more.

Advertisement