Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death threats from customer

Options
  • 29-12-2015 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I work in a call centre and last week a irate cust claimed that he was a ex employee of the company I work for for and was going to get a gun, come into my work place and shoot me.

I informed a supervisor, who passed it up the chain to his manager. And that has been it. No one from senior management has spoken to me about it. Or advised me on what was happening next.
    As I was going home that day I met the supervisor from earlier in the lift. Who casually mentioned that it had been passed to HR. Who where sending it to the cops.

Has anyone else been in a similar circumstance. How was it handled. I am really not happy with how this has been handled so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hi,
    I can't comment about your HR dept, but I know that here they would treat it very seriously.
    You should approach you HR rep and ask for an update. Most likely they will give you an update about what they did and are doing their end and will reach out to the Garda representative to get an update.

Ask if the person really is an ex-employee. I would say that they have the contact details and if they were this would have been passed on. The Gardai would in turn have visited the person to discuss the situation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have regularly received similar threats tbh i just laugh them off. I never even thought about informing a manager/HR:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

WhatdidIdo wrote: »
    As I was going home that day I met the supervisor from earlier in the lift. Who casually mentioned that it had been passed to HR. Who where sending it to the cops.

Was it HR or you that was threatened? If you want it investigated YOU make a complaint to the Gardai, not HRM!

They will take a statement from you, seize the recordings and possible somewhere down the line it will end up in court where you will have to give evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Happened to me on a semi regular basis. I remember my dep. manager grabbing hold of my collar as I started vaulting the counter one Xmas. Ah the joy of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you really feel your personal safety is at risk, then I would give the Garda a call or drop into your station and report it. Say you have spoke to management but are worried for your own personal safety outside of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

from over 5 years working a call center i can say i've had at least 10 similar threats made to me. cold call someone on a bad day and expect to be their emotional punch bag. think nothing of it my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

work in retail, can't say i've ever had a death threat but been called many a name and have been told "you better watch yourself when you outside later". just gotta let in one ear and out the other. as an above poster said, you are their punchbag. whoever called you had something else up their hole and they just used you as an opportunity to vent frustration. i know its easy for me to say, but don't take it personally

Advertisement