Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorraine Higgins

Options
  • 29-12-2015 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

What's the view here on the chances of Lorraine Higgins getting elected in the General Election? I think she will struggle given the serious unpopularity of the Labour Party, however her quixotic campaign to ban internet trolls coupled with her desire to destroy our railways means that I think she'll be unlikely to keep her deposit never mind being elected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭basillarkin

she is a 9/1 rank outsider to get elected so no chance really.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Sligo eye wrote: »
    What's the view here on the chances of Lorraine Higgins getting elected in the General Election? I think she will struggle given the serious unpopularity of the Labour Party, however her quixotic campaign to ban internet trolls coupled with her desire to destroy our railways means that I think she'll be unlikely to keep her deposit never mind being elected.

If its the western rail corridor you're referring to, every dog on the street knows that railway is already destroyed, and has been for decades.
    Bridges have been demolished, sleepers have rotted, rails have decayed, signals have collapsed, embankments have been undermined and parcels of land have been unlawfully possessed and fenced off by thieves.
    Now why not come forward and declare your real purpose for creating this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

bagels wrote: »
    If its the western rail corridor you're referring to, every dog on the street knows that railway is already destroyed, and has been for decades.
    Bridges have been demolished, sleepers have rotted, rails have decayed, signals have collapsed, embankments have been undermined and parcels of land have been unlawfully possessed and fenced off by thieves.
    Now why not come forward and declare your real purpose for creating this thread?

Well that escalated quickly.

Well that escalated quickly.

LOL
    But its not personal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

i wouldnt vote for her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

An awful pity the railways are not run properly.You
    would need to take out a loan to take the train in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

she is
    and not a funny one!
    shows up for photo opportunities like healy -eames.
    all show and now go!

### waits for lorraines thought police to knock on my door###

seanin4711 wrote: »
    she is
    and not a funny one!
    shows up for photo opportunities like healy -eames.
    all show and now go!

### waits for lorraines thought police to knock on my door###

As can be seen from my earlier post, I'm pro-greenway, not to be confused with pro-Lorraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

As can be seen from my earlier post, I'm pro-greenway, not to be confused with pro-Lorraine.

She comes across as being a bit dim, I know she is a barrister or lawyer or some such, but that does not indicate intelligence, and she is most certainly not wise to the ways of the world. Her campaign against internet tolls is an ill conceived nonsense. As for her partner in crime, Healy-Eames, even less inspiring. "They are literally being raped on facebook" - :confused: jesus wept. The phrase 'empty vessels make the most noise' was never more appropriate.

In fact all of the contenders in Galway East are poor - I have a feeling it will be a vote for the least worst - but I cannot fathom who that might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

What's the view here on the chances of Lorraine Higgins getting elected in the General Election?

Zero. Honestly. Labour are sunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I'm so disappointed in Lorraine Higgins. When she came on the scene there a few years ago I was excited about her; a young well-educated woman who might shake things up in Galway East.

Since then, she has consistently been a let down, and I wouldn't give her my vote now. I don't feel like she connects with people or gets what the constituency needs at all!
    In fact all of the contenders in Galway East are poor - I have a feeling it will be a vote for the least worst - but I cannot fathom who that might be.

That's how I'm voting. Won't vote for Sinn Fein or FF, especially Keaveney, <snip>

So by process of elimination, I'm voting FG and Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'm so disappointed in Lorraine Higgins. When she came on the scene there a few years ago I was excited about her; a young well-educated woman who might shake things up in Galway East.

Since then, she has consistently been a let down, and I wouldn't give her my vote now. I don't feel like she connects with people or gets what the constituency needs at all!

That's how I'm voting. Won't vote for Sinn Fein or FF, especially Keaveney, <snip>

So by process of elimination, I'm voting FG and Independent.

In what way has she specifically let you / the constituency down? I'm not a Higgins supporter at all (I really don't know much about her) but I am interested in why somebody feels she doesn't understand what the constituency needs. Actually, what does the constituency need?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I think there is a good point on the railways in that they all go into Dublin.

I recall when you could travel by rail for Galway via Athenry to Claremorris and other stations in Mayo. Cars were not so common then, and the roads were bad.

Passenger rail traffic may not be a priority now, but there may still be a market for freight from the North West and West to e.g. Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I recall when you could travel by rail for Galway via Athenry to Claremorris and other stations in Mayo. Cars were not so common then, and the roads were bad.

Passenger rail traffic may not be a priority now, but there may still be a market for freight from the North West and West to e.g. Rosslare

nuac wrote: »

There was no market for it - thats why it closed. And there remains no market. I think there could potentially be a case (albeit a meagre one) for extending the line to Tuam. The line should be converted into a Greenway to protect it in case it is needed for rail in the future. But rail is not needed there at the moment. All rail goes into Dublin because Dublin has a population to support a rail system.

There was no market for it - thats why it closed. And there remains no market. I think there could potentially be a case (albeit a meagre one) for extending the line to Tuam. The line should be converted into a Greenway to protect it in case it is needed for rail in the future. But rail is not needed there at the moment. All rail goes into Dublin because Dublin has a population to support a rail system.

Tuam has no need for a train service now nor in the foreseeable future.
    By all means protect the asset with a Greenway.

Tuam has no need for a train service now nor in the foreseeable future.
    By all means protect the asset with a Greenway.

I agree. I did say that it was a very meagre argument - you could argue that connecting a town of tuams population to a rail service that links it to Galway, Limerick, Dublin would have some potential. However with the speed of our motorways, it's unlikely.
    I think it's terrible that we don't see the greenway and rail people work together on this. It's in both their interests to preserve the line. Anyway, it's getting away from the point of the thread and there's a huge thread on the commuting page devoted to this!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

All this barrister talk sickens me(pat rabbits the latest stating Higgins should be admired for giving up her barrister career where she could have earned mega money).

The barrister profession is very tough to succeed in so you could argue she is taking the easy road out. It's common knowledge that there are too many barristers and most earn a relatively low wage with the successful ones earning huge money.

In fact qualifying as a barrister is the easy part (assuming you have the will power to study and the aptitude) as it's mostly exams (very little actual training required unlike most other professions where training of at least 2 or 3 years is required). Lauding the barrister title should be restricted to practicing barristers.

So my question is, is it a case that Higgins couldn't hack the ultra competitive barrister profession and instead went for the easy road that is local politics but yet clings onto her original dream?

All this barrister talk sickens me(pat rabbits the latest stating Higgins should be admired for giving up her barrister career where she could have earned mega money).

The barrister profession is very tough to succeed in so you could argue she is taking the easy road out. It's common knowledge that there are too many barristers and most earn a relatively low wage with the successful ones earning huge money.

In fact qualifying as a barrister is the easy part (assuming you have the will power to study and the aptitude) as it's mostly exams (very little actual training required unlike most other professions where training of at least 2 or 3 years is required). Lauding the barrister title should be restricted to practicing barristers.

So my question is, is it a case that Higgins couldn't hack the ultra competitive barrister profession and instead went for the easy road that is local politics but yet clings onto her original dream?

I've no idea how tough it is to be a barrister. But I am 100% sure that politics is not an easy road. Its a very difficult and stressful career (just look at Shane Mcentee).

In what way has she specifically let you / the constituency down? I'm not a Higgins supporter at all (I really don't know much about her) but I am interested in why somebody feels she doesn't understand what the constituency needs. Actually, what does the constituency need?

I think she patronizes voters based on watching her interviews in the last election. She also f**ked up twice (once when her team parked in a disabled space and she attempted to defend it by saying it was 7am, and secondly by boasting about an expensive dress)

I believe her constituency is primarily concerned with farming and other issues effectiving rural areas, and she hasn't shown herself to be strong in those areas.

• Advertisement

I think she patronizes voters based on watching her interviews in the last election. She also f**ked up twice (once when her team parked in a disabled space and she attempted to defend it by saying it was 7am, and secondly by boasting about an expensive dress)

I believe her constituency is primarily concerned with farming and other issues effectiving rural areas, and she hasn't shown herself to be strong in those areas.

Good points. Labour have always struggled to win votes from the farming community.

Good points. Labour have always struggled to win votes from the farming community.

I think a candidate like Ming or Michael McGrath would do well, there's a real anti-establishment feeling around. I think there are lots of quiet FF voters around too. I'm voting FG as the least-worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

An awful pity the railways are not run properly.You
    would need to take out a loan to take the train in this country.

Are you mad? Rail fares here are some of the cheapest in Europe, especially if you book in advance on line.

Her odds have shortened significantly on Paddy Power. At evens now. Same as Rabbitte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Let's look at what Higgins is suggesting regarding the Tuam rail link. She wants the line converted to a cycle path thus ensuring trains will never run to Tuam ever again. Where in Ireland have cycle paths been converted back to railways? Short answer; nowhere. Her other "big idea"? Run a cycle path along the Galway to Athenry rail line. If that is done it will never be possible to double the line to increase capacity and Irish Rail may have to put a speed restriction on the line as well. It's all about destroying the railways and keeping people in their cars with her.

Let's look at what Higgins is suggesting regarding the Tuam rail link. She wants the line converted to a cycle path thus ensuring trains will never run to Tuam ever again. Where in Ireland have cycle paths been converted back to railways? Short answer; nowhere. Her other "big idea"? Run a cycle path along the Galway to Athenry rail line. If that is done it will never be possible to double the line to increase capacity and Irish Rail may have to put a speed restriction on the line as well. It's all about destroying the railways and keeping people in their cars with her.

I'd take a cycle lane / greenway from Athenry - Tuam over what is there at the moment. Pretty much just wasteland. Why not do some good with it?

I am sure there are many things to criticise Higgins for but I'm pretty sure she has a decent level of support on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Her odds have shortened significantly on Paddy Power. At evens now. Same as Rabbitte

Higgins hasn't a hope of getting elected here in Galway East.

Higgins hasn't a hope of getting elected here in Galway East.

I agree. Her odds are interesting though. They have shortened significantly since the beginning when she was around 10/1 or 12/1. For a brief period she was at evens! When I checked this morning, she was at 10/3.

I don't think she will get elected either but there must be some people out there who think it (based on the odds fluctuating). I do feel she has a chance of polling ahead of Keaveney however.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I agree. Her odds are interesting though. They have shortened significantly since the beginning when she was around 10/1 or 12/1. For a brief period she was at evens! When I checked this morning, she was at 10/3.

I don't think she will get elected either but there must be some people out there who think it (based on the odds fluctuating). I do feel she has a chance of polling ahead of Keaveney however.

Anne Rabbitte should get a reasonable vote I think, she is popular in Portumna which would be a traditional FG stronghold.

Keaveney should do ok around Tuam but up this end (I'm in Loughrea)
    I'm not so sure.

• Advertisement

Anne Rabbitte should get a reasonable vote I think, she is popular in Portumna which would be a traditional FG stronghold.

Keaveney should do ok around Tuam but up this end (I'm in Loughrea)
    I'm not so sure.

I'm near tuam and I'd have serious doubts about keaveney doing well. Canney will take a lot of number 1 votes off him and it's hard to see him get many transfers from FG / Labour after he left government. I gave him a high preference vote last time but won't vote for him this time because I felt he should've stayed in government. His best hope is transfers from rabbitte (if rabbitte polls below him and that is very very doubtful). There remains some annoyance at how keaveney joined FF without consulting the local branch so he can't be relying on those transfers.... I just can't see him getting in. Actually I know some friends / family who voted for him last time are saying they are not going to this time. If my social group is representative of Galway East, he'll finish last!

My prediction is cannan, canney and connaughton but rabbitte will run connaughton seriously close. And I can see Higgins polling well considering where labour are at the moment but not getting elected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement