Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorraine Higgins

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm near tuam and I'd have serious doubts about keaveney doing well. Canney will take a lot of number 1 votes off him and it's hard to see him get many transfers from FG / Labour after he left government. I gave him a high preference vote last time but won't vote for him this time because I felt he should've stayed in government. His best hope is transfers from rabbitte (if rabbitte polls below him and that is very very doubtful). There remains some annoyance at how keaveney joined FF without consulting the local branch so he can't be relying on those transfers.... I just can't see him getting in. Actually I know some friends / family who voted for him last time are saying they are not going to this time. If my social group is representative of Galway East, he'll finish last!

My prediction is cannan, canney and connaughton but rabbitte will run connaughton seriously close. And I can see Higgins polling well considering where labour are at the moment but not getting elected

Keaveney's spiel about being a rebel and getting in trouble for doing what he believes in was quite entertaining. Especially when I realised afterwards that he is now with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Keaveney out to 5th favourite at 5/6 since yesterday.
    Rabbitte & Connaughton both at 8/11.

Could it be that PP are using this thread to inform their odds?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Keaveney was a Dodge as su president in letterkenny,his theatrical move from labour to ff only highlights the fact that he us an opportunistic son of a gun.
    Higgins is useless.
    Connachton has not been heard from since he got elected, just their cis of his daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Keaveney out to 5th favourite at 5/6 since yesterday.
    Rabbitte & Connaughton both at 8/11.

Could it be that PP are using this thread to inform their odds?:o

I think Rabbitte could get in.

Connaughton as well but I don't see Cannon getting elected.

I think Rabbitte could get in.

Connaughton as well but I don't see Cannon getting elected.

Really? He's got a fairly high profile, has been reasonably prominent in the flooding recently, located perfectly in the new constituency. Seems to tick all the boxes for me. Connaughton has lost huge votes to Roscommon.

Which 3 do you think will get in?

• Advertisement

Really? He's got a fairly high profile, has been reasonably prominent in the flooding recently, located perfectly in the new constituency. Seems to tick all the boxes for me. Connaughton has lost huge votes to Roscommon.

Which 3 do you think will get in?

Think it will be Rabbitte and Connaughton but not sure about the third seat, Cannon was regarded as a bit of a "blow in" by the FG grassroots and wasn't too popular up this end.

Think it will be Rabbitte and Connaughton but not sure about the third seat, Cannon was regarded as a bit of a "blow in" by the FG grassroots and wasn't too popular up this end.

I heard murmurings of that when he joined Fine Gael but thought people would be over that now. Anyway, we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

There's a FF and a FG quota in this constituency so we should see a FF'er and a FG'er elected, unless inter-party transfers collapses. Canney should take a seat too leaving us with 1 FF, 1 FG, 1 Independent (but actually from the FF gene pool).
    As Canney, Connaughton and Keaveney are fishing for votes from the same general area, its very unlikely we'll see the three of them elected.
    I reckon it'll be Canney, Connaughton, Rabbitte or Canney, Cannon, Keaveney.
    Comments welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Canney Connaughton and rabbitte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭ratracer

Does Canney have a big vote in North Galway? He's done nothing for South Galway, hasn't even had much presence here from what I can see, so can't see him having a huge vote here.
    1 x FG, 1 x FF and the third seat is anyone's, because I think the independent vote will make it tough to call the way transfers will go. Can't see Higgins being anywhere close, think she will only have the Athenry vote.

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    Does Canney have a big vote in North Galway? He's done nothing for South Galway, hasn't even had much presence here from what I can see, so can't see him having a huge vote here.
    1 x FG, 1 x FF and the third seat is anyone's, because I think the independent vote will make it tough to call the way transfers will go. Can't see Higgins being anywhere close, think she will only have the Athenry vote.

Huge vote. He has a FF background and Keaveney alienated many FF voters. Canney could sweep up those votes.

Canney has gone in to 1/7 today. He has consistently been at 1/5 the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She's out. Can we close this thread?

flazio wrote: »
    She's out. Can we close this thread?

Was she eliminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Was she eliminated?

Yes, she had 4,531 first preferences less that half the quota (11,310), and rose to 5,080 before she was eliminated in the fourth count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Yes, she had 4,531 first preferences less that half the quota (11,310), and rose to 5,080 before she was eliminated in the fourth count.

I think the lesson that future election candidates in the west can take from this is if anyone comes calling asking them to endorse the destruction of our railways that they should run a mile. Marie Casserly also crashed and burned in Sligo Leitrim.

Sligo eye wrote: »
    I think the lesson that future election candidates in the west can take from this is if anyone comes calling asking them to endorse the destruction of our railways that they should run a mile. Marie Casserly also crashed and burned in Sligo Leitrim.

Lol, she lost out more due to the party she belonged to rather than her much welcome support for the greenway.

I look forward to soon cycling on the rust trail that is those rail lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Lol, she lost out more due to the party she belonged to rather than her much welcome support for the greenway.

I look forward to soon cycling on the rust trail that is those rail lines

Well you can lol all you like but the election isn't turning out like some of your comrades in the anti-tourist and infrastructure campaign would have hoped for! Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Well you can lol all you like but the election isn't turning out like some of your comrades in the anti-tourist and infrastructure campaign would have hoped for! Lol.

Highly doubt that's the issue Highins lost out on. Aside from this forum, I haven't heard it raised anywhere during the campaign.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

She seems dignified in defeat. Fair play to her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

She seems dignified in defeat. Fair play to her

Well, she must be getting used to it at this stage.

Besides, she has a senate seat to go back to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Well, she must be getting used to it at this stage.

Besides, she has a senate seat to go back to.

No she doesn't, new Seanad due shortly. She was selected by the government at the time so this obviously won't be repeated

Ok, now you're just babbling nonsense

Given the tourism numbers would rocket by comparison to a rail line, I fail to see how it's anti-tourism.

Given its currently unused, how can adding infrastructure be considered anti-infrastructure

If you wish to discuss further, please see http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/98887124 in order to keep this thread on topic

Can we park the Western Rail Corridor BS, please?
    If you're pro and posting, it's BS.
    If you're anti and posting, it's BS.
    Bigger things to worry about guys.
    Also literal *decades* of back and forth BS elsewhere on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement