Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one set up

Options
  • 29-12-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi My son got an Xbox one for Christmas and I think I haven't set it up properly. I only have used playstation and the original xbox in my youth and am confused my the whole xbox live notion. Sorry if these questions seem very basic to most but it's left me at a loss.
    1. Does my son have to get a Internet connection whenever he wants to play a game. He has the disc but whenever he loads it. He gets a message advising that he has to sign into xbox live to play. Once he has signed in he can turn off the WiFi and continue the game as normal. Whenever I played console games it was a case of just popping in the disc and away you go!
    2. The xbox doesn't seem to have stored the WiFi password and he has to enter it each time to go online which is frustrating.
    3. The xbox one came with Fifa 16 which has to be downloaded. I have used 18gb of my 20gb allowance on my home WiFi and don't want to get the massive charges for going over my monthly cap . I tried to download it using my mobile Internet on my phone using it as a hotspot but have used 14gb out of my 15gb allowance and have only downloaded 52% of the game. By my reckoning I need to pay at least and extra 30 euro in data charges to get game fully downloaded. Is there other way of doing this.

Any advice on these issues would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Darsencia wrote: »
    Hi My son got an Xbox one for Christmas and I think I haven't set it up properly. I only have used playstation and the original xbox in my youth and am confused my the whole xbox live notion. Sorry if these questions seem very basic to most but it's left me at a loss.
    1. Does my son have to get a Internet connection whenever he wants to play a game. He has the disc but whenever he loads it. He gets a message advising that he has to sign into xbox live to play. Once he has signed in he can turn off the WiFi and continue the game as normal. Whenever I played console games it was a case of just popping in the disc and away you go!
    2. The xbox doesn't seem to have stored the WiFi password and he has to enter it each time to go online which is frustrating.
    3. The xbox one came with Fifa 16 which has to be downloaded. I have used 18gb of my 20gb allowance on my home WiFi and don't want to get the massive charges for going over my monthly cap . I tried to download it using my mobile Internet on my phone using it as a hotspot but have used 14gb out of my 15gb allowance and have only downloaded 52% of the game. By my reckoning I need to pay at least and extra 30 euro in data charges to get game fully downloaded. Is there other way of doing this.

Id advise changing your broadband plan. He doesn't need a connection to play off line. He will need a connection for updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

The Xbox should retain the wifi password, you might need to go to settings, check the network settings there. There will probably be a check box for saving the wifi password.

In terms of the online play side of things, he won't need an internet connection to play a game that he has on disc, but if I remember correctly, it will need internet access (albeit briefly) for any downloaded games in order to verify the purchase.

Regarding the download size versus your internet cap, I don't think there is much you can do to avoid the additional fees with your existing internet plan, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

He won't need an internet connection to play any disc based games he owns.
    Just a case off popping in the disc, and he can play " offline " .

He might be trying to access online features on a game, when he is getting the message telling him to sign into XboxLive.

As others have said, there's not much you can do about about your internet plan other than change it ( if that's an option ), to fully use the Live features.

Most games that have to be fully downloaded, as opposed to the disc based ones would be around the 25 / 30 gb to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What's the game on disc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

see number three titan
    def go unlimited for broadband package
    and what ever u do dont play the witcher 3 untill u do get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Darsencia

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What's the game on disc ?

WW2K16....basically it's wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

WW2K16....basically it's wrestling.

Was just wondering in case it was an online only game.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Was just wondering in case it was an online only game.

No but the strange thing is. Once I connect to xbox live I can disconnect and play for hours. Off work on Thursday so ill have more time to look at settings in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Xtravison or similar close by? You may be best to rent FIFA and install it from disk (or loan it from a friend/neighbour)

Thanks for the advice and info. Have managed to get around the problem of been unable to play the disc without been online. I just had to change something in settings.
    I also managed to get fifa16 downloaded without taking out a bank loan (got load of WiFi from relation)
    Next problem I have is playing the game which I have downloaded. It's asking me to verify it on xbox live. Any no advice on what I need to do or where I go next.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks for the advice and info. Have managed to get around the problem of been unable to play the disc without been online. I just had to change something in settings.
    I also managed to get fifa16 downloaded without taking out a bank loan (got load of WiFi from relation)
    Next problem I have is playing the game which I have downloaded. It's asking me to verify it on xbox live. Any no advice on what I need to do or where I go next.
    Thanks

I don't have Fifa 16, but I'll try, and I'm sure some of the Fifa regulars will be able to help once they they shake off the new years hangover!

First up, can you get into the game at all? i.e. f you click on the Fifa button, does it load up a fifa screen, or does it just throw out a message straight away? Just trying to work out if it's an Xbox issue or a Fifa issue.

Advertisement