Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€550 Low-end gaming PC - advice appreciated

Options
  • 29-12-2015 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm planning to build a PC for €550 which can run games like Fallout 3, Skyrim, and others a like, somewhat well.

I have something in mind and would appreciate some feedback.

CPU: Intel i3 4170
    GPU: ASUS GTX 750 Ti
    RAM: 8Gb
    Storage: 1Tb HDD
    Case: Zalman Z3 Plus
    Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 Intel B85 So.1150
    PSU: 550 Watt Cooler Master GM Series Modular

Coming to a total of around €575 including shipping. With everything coming from mindfactory minus the case (Amazon UK) and Windows 7 (Adverts).

Anyone mind commenting on this build?

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pretty much what I'd spec

You'll tear through Skyrim and FO, no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

Pretty much what I'd spec

You'll tear through Skyrim and FO, no bother

Oh really? That's awesome to hear :D

Thanks for you're input Digital!

Once you're fitting a GPU its a decent gaming PC, this'll play any game reliably

No worries, good luck with the build

Once you're fitting a GPU its a decent gaming PC, this'll play any game reliably

No worries, good luck with the build

Very nice to hear! :D Thanks again, here's hoping I don't screw up! x)

Before I order, can anyone tell me anything on Cooler Master? Are they a reputable brand when it comes to PSUs?

• Advertisement

Afaik they're sound

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You could save some money on the PSU and motheboard and get the much better R9 380.

There's a good deal going on the Asus Strix version on mindfactory atm. €175 after the geizhals.de discount. If you don't know about that use this site to get discounts on the mindfactory prices. Just search for each part individually and select mindfactory from the list of sellers to get a link with the discounted price. Do the same for each part.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/2048MB-Asus-Radeon-R9-380-Strix-DirectCU-II-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1006697.html

For the changes to the PSU and board I'd go for the corsair vs450 and Asrock H81M-HDS. They are perfectly fine. I've used them in a dozen or so builds now without issue.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You could save some money on the PSU and motheboard and get the much better R9 380.

There's a good deal going on the Asus Strix version on mindfactory atm. €175 after the geizhals.de discount. If you don't know about that use this site to get discounts on the mindfactory prices. Just search for each part individually and select mindfactory from the list of sellers to get a link with the discounted price. Do the same for each part.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/2048MB-Asus-Radeon-R9-380-Strix-DirectCU-II-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1006697.html

For the changes to the PSU and board I'd go for the corsair vs450 and Asrock H81M-HDS. They are perfectly fine. I've used them in a dozen or so builds now without issue.

Thanks, already ordered but can cancel. Would a 450w support a R9 380?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

millgate1 wrote: »
    Thanks, already ordered but can cancel. Would a 450w support a R9 380?

Yes no problems there. I've done a similar build with an i5 and that card on that PSU. 0 problems.

Total system full load power would only be around 300w and it's rarely ever going to be at full load.

Get an SSD for windows when you get a chance as well.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes no problems there. I've done a similar build with an i5 and that card on that PSU. 0 problems.

Total system full load power would only be around 300w and it's rarely ever going to be at full load.

Get an SSD for windows when you get a chance as well.

Thanks a lot Blood! Done and dusted :D Will definitely be saving up for an SSD, soon enough anyway :)

By the way, would anyone be able to confirm to me if this is a retail version of Windows 10 and not an OEM version? (i.e. Version in which I can reuse the code if I ever decide to switch PC?). Seems to be the cheapest I've found if it is retail. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thanks a lot Blood! Done and dusted :D Will definitely be saving up for an SSD, soon enough anyway :)

By the way, would anyone be able to confirm to me if this is a retail version of Windows 10 and not an OEM version? (i.e. Version in which I can reuse the code if I ever decide to switch PC?). Seems to be the cheapest I've found if it is retail. Thanks.

Go with reddit or the lads on adverts or the free insider program rather than paying that for an OS.

Go with reddit or the lads on adverts or the free insider program rather than paying that for an OS.

I've been hearing stories of people being locked out after 30 days but I'll just risk it and buy off a trust Adverts seller x3

Thank you! :D

Also, to anyone who can help. I only realised that my motherboard has 3 fan headers (1 x 3pin and 1x4pin and CPU fan). So I'll only be able to use 2 of my 4 fans.

My PSU will have molex connectors. Would the simple solution be to purchase a molex to 3-pin adapter? Or to purchase a 3-pin Y connector? (If so, could anyone suggest a place in Ireland I could purchase this?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Y connectors from the fan headers so that the fan speed can be controlled.

Thanks Mark!

I really appreciate the help from everyone.

This should be my final question.

Considering I ordered the PSU from a German website, I'd say it's safe to assume it will come with a EU plug and not a UK/Ire plug. Can I just grab any ol €4 EU to UK plug adapter? There wouldn't be any problems with the amps or...fuse? (I vaguely read up on this)

Thank you

It'll come with the EU

You can plug a UK one straight in, or use an adapter

Thanks Mark!

I really appreciate the help from everyone.

This should be my final question.

Considering I ordered the PSU from a German website, I'd say it's safe to assume it will come with a EU plug and not a UK/Ire plug. Can I just grab any ol €4 EU to UK plug adapter? There wouldn't be any problems with the amps or...fuse? (I vaguely read up on this)

Thank you

Assuming the PSU can handle 240V - CHECK - and it auto switching as opposed to a switch on the back - CHECK - you just buy a kettle lead with a 5amp fuse in it or use a kettle lead and swap to a 5amp fuse.

I've not lying about I'm afraid but it's called a kettle lead as it's the same one that goes in a kettle :pac:

Thanks guys!

I just checked up on be quiet's website and it is said in the technical details 'Voltage (Vac): 100 - 240'. So I'm good on that part, right?

And in the manual it also states

"The power supply automatically switches off if limits are exceeded or not reached.
    OCP (over-current protection, UVP (under-voltage protection), SCP (short circuit
    protection), OPP (over power protection), OTP (over temperature protection),
    OVP (overvoltage protection)"

So I'm good to go and just buy an EU to UK adapter?

Thanks guys!

I just checked up on be quiet's website and it is said in the technical details 'Voltage (Vac): 100 - 240'. So I'm good on that part, right?

And in the manual it also states

"The power supply automatically switches off if limits are exceeded or not reached.
    OCP (over-current protection, UVP (under-voltage protection), SCP (short circuit
    protection), OPP (over power protection), OTP (over temperature protection),
    OVP (overvoltage protection)"

So I'm good to go and just buy an EU to UK adapter?

Yep or cut off the EU plug and put a UK one on it, but I'd buy a UK kettle lead as they're earthed. You can leave the PC plugged in but switched off to discharge yourself (by touching the PSU) if you're ever working on the inside of the machine.

Yep or cut off the EU plug and put a UK one on it, but I'd buy a UK kettle lead as they're earthed. You can leave the PC plugged in but switched off to discharge yourself (by touching the PSU) if you're ever working on the inside of the machine.

Thanks!

I don't think I'd know enough to try cut off an EU plug and replace it :p

So I could essentially just use the kettle lead that came with my PS3 (5A, 250V)?

How about adapter which includes a ground pin?

Apologies for all the questions and sincere thank you for answering them.

This is what you need. Obviously shop around on delivery etc.

Kettle lead of a PS3 would be grand.

EU cables )open to correction here) only have two wires in the cable, they don't have an Earth wire like UK plugs do.

• Advertisement

This is what you need. Obviously shop around on delivery etc.

Kettle lead of a PS3 would be grand.

EU cables )open to correction here) only have two wires in the cable, they don't have an Earth wire like UK plugs do.

Thanks a lot for your help Mark, greatly appreciated.

I'll try out the PS3 cable and if there are any problems (Cable is probably 6 years old now) I'll go ahead an buy a cable as you listed.

Again, thank you!

Advertisement