Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh water antifouling

• 29-12-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I am just looking for a bit of advice about antifouling.

I have recently bought a motorboat, on the shannon, and going to keep her near portumna bridge.
    I was curious what peoples experience of marine growth is. The boat will be kept in the water from April to sept/oct.

There is antifoul on her at the moment, seems to resemble the international antifoul I used on my sailing boat on the sea. I am intending to strip this antifoul off fully and get back to the gelcoat, once the waters recede alittle.

Its the first time in a while I have been back down on the shannon, so was curious of peoples recent experiences. Is there much/ if any growth etc

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi sadier32 If the gelcoat is nice and smooth you can get away with just power washing it once a year, antifoul is not cheep so it would be worth trying a year without it and see how you get on, most of the scum will be along the water line and you can just scrub that with a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Hi fergal.

Thank you for your advise.. I will have to see how the gelcoat comes out. At the moment its fairly pitted, but it seems to be the antifoul that has come off in places.. I wont know until I get it back to the gelcoat. I was thinking that if I antifouled, that if the slime is that bad, after the season it can be washed off and the the antifoul would last a couple of seasons...

Thats what I do with the sailing boat I have on the sea... The antifoul lasts about 2 seasons, only washing down at the end of the season...

Will have a look at the condition when I get back to the gelcoat...
    I am guessing I can get antifoul in the chandlers around the area as I am sure it is a different type for FreshWater.

Advertisement