Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's weather West/East Coast

Options
  • 29-12-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Having lived on both I find a huge difference in the weather between Kerry and Dublin, are there any stats backing this up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Having lived on both I find a huge difference in the weather between Kerry and Dublin, are there any stats backing this up.

There sure are...

Valentia stats
    Casement Stats

climate_rainfallmap.gif
    climate_windmap03.gif

All from http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/climate-of-ireland.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The mountain rain is a bit misleading but the west even at low levels is more than twice Dublins total.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Even within the greater western region, there can much variation in climate (relatively speaking). Having lived in Clifden for a while, it certainly is much wetter and windier than here in east Galway for example, which has climate more akin to that experienced over the midlands than the west coast.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Believe it or not Dublin gets less rainfall annually than London. I think rainfall is greatly over exaggerated in Dublin. A friend of mine moved from cork years ago and said he couldn't believe how little it rained in Dublin compared to growing up in cork!!

I know it's brutal the past month but generally speaking I don't find Dublin particularly wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

The only thing that stops me relocating to the wast of ireland from the east coast is the rain. It seems to never stop.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2 blind_builder

kerry is one of the three wettest counties , the other two being galway and donegal

the three driest counties are dublin , kildare and louth

i live in the west of ireland but grew up in the east , it never stops raining in galway

• Site Banned Posts: 2 blind_builder

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Even within the greater western region, there can much variation in climate (relatively speaking). Having lived in Clifden for a while, it certainly is much wetter and windier than here in east Galway for example, which has climate more akin to that experienced over the midlands than the west coast.

i live in east galway , it rains far more than in the midlands , once you cross into west athlone on the M6 , the weather changes almost every time

i live in east galway , it rains far more than in the midlands , once you cross into west athlone on the M6 , the weather changes almost every time

Only thing I have noticed is that the clouds get heavier looking west of the Shannon.

We do get relatively more rain days than areas further east but the weather here in general has little in common with the west coast, more especially regarding wind/temp etc.
    it never stops raining in galway

A common myth that is just that, a myth that has no data whatsoever to back it up.

New Moon

Only thing I have noticed is that the clouds get heavier looking west of the Shannon.

We do get relatively more rain days than areas further east but the weather here in general has little in common with the west coast, more especially regarding wind/temp etc.

A common myth that is just that, a myth that has no data whatsoever to back it up.

Or he's using hyperbole.

That said I bet there are more rainy days than dry ones in Galway. And Galway is west coast.

Or he's using hyperbole.

That said I bet there are more rainy days than dry ones in Galway. And Galway is west coast.

There is more to Galway than just the west coast. It's a big big county.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is there statistics available for the number of days that it rained in the West vs East?

There is more to Galway than just the west coast. It's a big big county.

It's really not that big. In any case if you want to prove that the rain stops half way across the county there must be stats on that somewhere.

It's really not that big. In any case if you want to prove that the rain stops half way across the county there must be stats on that somewhere.

2nd biggest in Ireland. But your missing my point - entirely.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

In an Irish context Galway is a big county. Where I live on the west coast of the county, if I want to travel to Dublin, just getting out of Co. Galway is a greater distance than all the other counties put together on that route.

I've also noticed that the cloud does seem to thicken once West of the Shannon. There's a similar local pattern between Oughterard & Maam Cross, where weather conditions can vary quite substantially either side of a line between those two points.

It really feels like it's been raining since the middle of October or thereabouts. There has been the odd day where it hasn't been awfully wet but there's an air of cabin fever about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They say the tide doesn't come in.....in Galway...it comes down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Thanks for all the replies guys, it sure has been a wake up call living here, I don't think I can spend the rest of my life living with rain every day, have to find a way to get back to the East coast.

Sorry being a bit dim here but do the Casement stats refer to the East Coast ?

Sorry being a bit dim here but do the Casement stats refer to the East Coast ?

Casement has the longest uninterrupted stats in the east. Dublin Airport has had two moves over its history and the Phoenix Park stats are not on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Believe it or not Dublin gets less rainfall annually than London.

I don't think this is true - Dublin seems to get approximately 150-200mm more per year on average, and has more rainy days.

it never stops raining in galway

Just rain some statistics from my own weather station which I have set to log data every 5 minutes. Of all the 5 minute logs since the start of 2015 up to yesterday, only 4.5% of them recorded rainfall. with 95.5% recording none! Proof that it does not rain all the time in Galway. Quite the opposite in fact.

New Moon

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't think this is true - Dublin seems to get approximately 150-200mm more per year on average, and has more rainy days.

Yes. I doubted that too. It's probably less rainy than Bristol, Liverpool and other western cities (and the north east) but London also has a distinct climate, relative to the UK it's very dry.

I have read that Dublin is drier than London in numerous sources. Also says it on Wikipedia on different city climate pages.

I have read that Dublin is drier than London in numerous sources. Also says it on Wikipedia on different city climate pages.

Yes it does rain a lot in London I lived there for 20 years,its bearable thought unlike the West coast of Ireland:)

Yes it does rain a lot in London I lived there for 20 years,its bearable thought unlike the West coast of Ireland:)

Could be worse, could be Scotland! Nowhere rains more than Scotland. Been to Edinburgh 5 times and have yet to ever see the sun emerge!

Heathrow's average annual rainfall is 602 mm. The greater London and SE England region is 788 mm.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcpsvg2yz

Casement's average is 754 mm and Dublin Airport's is 758 mm.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/30year-averages.asp

Heathrow's average annual rainfall is 602 mm. The greater London and SE England region is 788 mm.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcpsvg2yz

Casement ' average is 754 mm and Dublin Airport's is 758 mm.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/30year-averages.asp

That really is very interesting, thanks for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To put some rainfall numbers on it.

From 1981 to 2010 (most recent figures available on met.ie):-

The driest place in Ireland is around Sean O'Moore road in Ringsend Dublin 4 with 675mm average rain per year
    The wettest place in Ireland is around Ballaghbeama Gap, Co Kerry with 3562mm average rain per year

Source - http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/IE_RR_8110_V1.zip

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Now why am I not surprised that the wettest place in Ireland is Kerry!... I have only lived here for 9 months and frankly its unreal. Weather wise it must be one of the most depressing places on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Now why am I not surprised that the wettest place in Ireland is Kerry!... I have only lived here for 9 months and frankly its unreal. Weather wise it must be one of the most depressing places on earth!

Only if you consider rain to be depressing weather :)

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Only if you consider rain to be depressing weather :)

Dont' dislike it entirely but everyday plus the winds is a bit too much:)

Advertisement