Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds take stand against Sky...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nah, can't have that - what do they expect? Leeds are a well known side about playing another big Champ side who are tipped for promotion.

If Massimo Cellino thinks fewer games will mean a higher average game attendance I think he is barking up the wrong tree. 23k is good in the second tier esp for a side that has not been in the forefront of the game for so long,

From guardian
    Earlier this season Cellino said he would be capping Leeds’ notoriously large away support at 2,000 in order to make the point that his club would not be taken for granted, only to reverse the decision after fan dissent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Sky deal is with The Football League, not Leeds United. Their beef should be with the Football League. It's just attention seeking bollocks.

As is asking others to do your dirty work for you while you jet off to Hawaii or Florida or wherever. That's the lowest of the low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Maybe its the feedback he's getting from Leeds fans.

There should be a framework around how many games can be moved in a season, the period of notice to do so etc. Probably not, all hail the tv deal!!
    Leeds' average attendance of 23,387 is the third highest in the division, behind Derby and Brighton, and the club's crowds for televised crowds have been higher than for non-televised matches

Obviously bigger matches draw bigger attendances but it could easily be argued that their attendances would have been even higher for those high profile matches if attending the ground was the only way to see the match live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I do understand the frustration but as always Cellino goes about it the wrong way and at the wrong time.
    We are finally putting a little run of form together and nothing should be done that can detract from that but as always this insane man manages to take the limelight away from the team. He is quite possibly the most insane owner of a club England has ever seen and thats saying something. The quicker the football league ban this nut job the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dempsey wrote: »
    There should be a framework around how many games can be moved in a season, the period of notice to do so etc. Probably not, all hail the tv deal!!

All these things already exist in the tv deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All these things already exist in the tv deal.

I know there is quotas etc for the EPL deal but I dont know much about the football league deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There is no way in hell he is close to being right on this. 7 managers in less than 2 years, brutal football is why the attd are dropping maybe the fact he is a tad insane also ?

Shame they cant be deducted points for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Not so much because it affects attendances

How does it affect attendances?

keith16 wrote: »

People less likely to pay money and attend when the game is on their television. There have been various analyses with varying conclusions over the years. Leeds certainly draw much larger audiences than other Championship clubs and feature a lot more regularly, while only getting a fraction of the revenue of Premier League clubs, some of which draw smaller viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

The attendances for live sky home games have actually been higher than non televised games.
    It's also his stupid ticket pricing that has seen attendees drop, along with some brutal football

This man is a absolute lunatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Cellino doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Let the cameras in or face the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Gas the way everyone is taking the position of TV getting priority over the argument to try and get more people to actually go and watch a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

keith16 wrote: »

Leeds is still one of the biggest teams in England, and because of it's history, has fans dotted all around England, and not just Yorkshire. A lot of these Leeds fans travel from each corner of the country to Elland Road to follow the team, some of them on 400 mile round trips for example. You look at any Leeds match home or away on the TV and see the differant regional supporter club flags, it's fascinating how this club still has a loyal following after all it has been through since the turn of the millenium. Recent fixture changes like Leeds vs Blackburn being moved from a 3pm Saturday game to a Thursday night 7.45pm game to facilitate Sky makes it impossible for those fans to attend these games without having to take time off work. Fans are then down money having already booked hotels, trains, flights etc, I know a couple of Irish fans out of pocket on Ryanair flights for this particular match

Gas the way everyone is taking the position of TV getting priority over the argument to try and get more people to actually go and watch a match

lol really?

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2015-2016/1/

You get 100k when on TV plus tv money at the end of the season. Looking at the above numbers 100k for 3,500 fans "lost" is reasonable. All of which was known at the start of the season.

Now a completley different question is why are Leeds attds like that?

Is it the product? Is it the cost of the product? Leeds fans could answer that part.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    There is no way in hell he is close to being right on this. 7 managers in less than 2 years, brutal football is why the attd are dropping maybe the fact he is a tad insane also ?

Shame they cant be deducted points for this.

And is this the correct solution? You mention he is a tad insane, why should loyal and long suffering fans, let alone the players and coaching team be punished for Cellino, and his actions alone? It is the same old story with Leeds, egotistical, ruthless "business men" like Bates and Cellino, making out they're doing the best for the club, but when these court cases are heard, and ultimately lost, it is the club footing the bill, not the owner, who created the mess from the very beginning. I find it funny the Football League are going to go to town on Cellino for this, but ultimately, it was their Fit and Proper test which passed him, and let him take control of the club, when it was plain to see his history with Cagliari in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Given that most Irish football fans don't know what the inside of a football ground looks like this is not surprising.

The attendances for live sky home games have actually been higher than non televised games.
    It's also his stupid ticket pricing that has seen attendees drop, along with some brutal football

This man is a absolute lunatic

The first assertion has been contradicted.

http://footballperspectives.org/broadcasting-live-matches-and-stadium-attendance

Of course there are other factors, division, opposition, success etc.

Cameras allowed in.
    Leeds United: Sky TV is allowed to broadcast Championship match

Leeds will allow Sky TV to broadcast Tuesday's Championship game against Derby, having initially barred cameras from entering Elland Road.
    They were protesting at the number of Leeds fixtures changed for television with owner Massimo Cellino claiming it reduces attendances.
    It is the ninth time this season a Leeds league match has been picked.
    Leeds would have been charged with misconduct by the Football League if they had carried out the ban.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35194936

lol really?

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2015-2016/1/

You get 100k when on TV plus tv money at the end of the season. Looking at the above numbers 100k for 3,500 fans "lost" is reasonable. All of which was known at the start of the season.

Now a completley different question is why are Leeds attds like that?

Is it the product? Is it the cost of the product? Leeds fans could answer that part.

Yes, an average ticket price at Elland Road is 30 pound, multiply that by 3500 as above, and you arrive at 105k, that's excluding food, drink and merchandise sales so no financial benefit for the match being on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Awww. That would have amused me for the day. Everyone will be watching Leicester v Man City anyway.

• Advertisement

RobTheLad wrote: »
    Yes, an average ticket price at Elland Road is 30 pound, multiply that by 3500 as above, and you arrive at 105k, that's excluding food, drink and merchandise sales so no financial benefit for the match being on TV.

Advertising/Sponsorship increases though.

It's all pretty much nullified. It's not like Shamrock Rovers who were complaining about RTE but were getting nothing from being on TV. They didn't have the balls to lock RTE out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Awww. That would have amused me for the day. Everyone will be watching Leicester v Man City anyway.

I won't be!

On probably, given the implications for the top tier. When they were in the same division, Leicester used to be the second most watched team after Leeds...albeit miles behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Mushy wrote: »
    I won't be!

Neither will I :)

And is this the correct solution? You mention he is a tad insane, why should loyal and long suffering fans, let alone the players and coaching team be punished for Cellino, and his actions alone? It is the same old story with Leeds, egotistical, ruthless "business men" like Bates and Cellino, making out they're doing the best for the club, but when these court cases are heard, and ultimately lost, it is the club footing the bill, not the owner, who created the mess from the very beginning. I find it funny the Football League are going to go to town on Cellino for this, but ultimately, it was their Fit and Proper test which passed him, and let him take control of the club, when it was plain to see his history with Cagliari in Italy.

Yes the club should be punished when it breaks the rules, he wasnt outside not letting Sky in.

Club should lower prices to increase attds.

gimmick wrote: »
    Given that most Irish football fans don't know what the inside of a football ground looks like this is not surprising.

Hur hur.

Yes the club should be punished when it breaks the rules, he wasnt outside not letting Sky in.

Correct he wasn't, he was cowardly hiding away in Miami after causing a ****storm. He had instructed staff before he left the country that if they let the Sky crew into Elland Road, they would face disciplinary action/dismissal. The staff are only doing their jobs, most likely minimum wage staff who are only trying to earn an honest living

Club should lower prices to increase attds.

I agree, the costs are high, but the Football League only allow the club to run I believe one or two ticket promotions per season, you also have to consider the season ticket holders, continuous special offers every time we're on TV wipes out any sort of saving they should receive as a loyal season ticket holder. You then have to consider that because we're losing money every time the club are televised, bringing the prices down doesn't always help balancing the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The argument that clubs shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of their decision makers is a really strange one.

CSF wrote: »
    The argument that clubs shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of their decision makers is a really strange one.

Apart from the fact that the Football League deemed him fit and proper to run the club, it is ultimately down to them for allowing him to take ownership of the club, I thought the whole point of this test is to keep people like him away from football clubs :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Apart from the fact that the Football League deemed him fit and proper to run the club, it is ultimately down to them for allowing him to take ownership of the club, I thought the whole point of this test is to keep people like him away from football clubs :confused::confused:
    What does that have to do with it? His previous issues are irrelevant with this. Michael O'Leary or Donald Trump would pass a fit and proper persons test. If they owned a football club and felt their business was suffering from live tv they would do the exact same thing.

What does that have to do with it? His previous issues are irrelevant with this. Michael O'Leary or Donald Trump would pass a fit and proper persons test. If the owned a football club felt their business was suffering from live tv they would do the exact same thing.

You obviously don't know a lot about Massimo Cellino's history, go read up, and come back to me. Comparing Cellino to O'Leary or Trump is only insulting to them, Cellino is nowhere near them in calibre of businessman, he was thrown out of his family business in 1999 by his siblings, given some money to keep him quiet. He bought Leeds with the proceeds of the sale of Cagliari.

I agree with Cellino's reason's in regards to Sky, but he approached this in a completely unprofessional manner, like everything he has to do with the club. I was just making the point that the Football League don't seem to like this stunt he pulled, among others, but have only themselves to blame, as they allowed him in by deeming him fit to run a football club, even with his history with Cagliari, the Italian FA and the Italian judicial system.

As I said in my post, "His previous issues are irrelevant with this"

And like I said in my post, read up on his history first, it completely has to do with this latest incident. If you did, you would not deem this to be unusual behaviour from him

It would be easier to admit that you didnt read my post properly instead of being condescendingly sneery.

Challenging the ways things are done are a different ball game than his previous issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gas.

If he is concerned about attendance, then maybe he should look at the £40 ticket pricing as something to change. That action he took earlier in the season capping away attendance as he felt clubs were taking Leeds fans for granted was hilarious, considering he does the exact same expecting fans to pay that much for a championship side(and who have been through the dregs) and could easily sling back into league 1 again under his horrendous leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gimmick wrote: »

Sure you don't even play football.

Advertisement