Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Fire Brigade has the best Response Times in the Country

Options
  • 29-12-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Cork City Fire Brigade has the best response time in the country for fires and other incidents according to a survey of local authority records conducted by the National Oversight and Audit Commission.

Cork's fire service is at the scene of 89% of fires within ten minutes, compared to the national average of 45%.

They also arrive at 87% of other incidents (mainly road accidents) within ten minutes compared to the national average of 38.5%.

Less than 2% of incidents including fires take more than 20 minutes to attend.

However, it is also the country’s most expensive fire service, costing three times more to run per head of population than the cheapest (€93.13 compared to €28.25 for Kildare). This cost reflect the fact that Cork's fire service is the only full-time service in the country.

The rapid response times are no doubt helped by the relatively small area of their jurisdiction, compared for example to the rest of the county, but I think the service is well worth it with such good response times and Cork City Fire Brigade deserve to be congratulated for their excellent performance.

More details here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-city-fire-service-is-most-expensive-373462.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm told also that it's the only one that doesn't charge when called out (there could be others but I've heard of people hesitating to call them because they're worried about fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm told also that it's the only one that doesn't charge when called out (there could be others but I've heard of people hesitating to call them because they're worried about fees).

How much do these services charge by the way? Is it a token amount to prevent people calling for frivolous stuff or is it something more substantial?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

€500 in Dublin for call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dreamers75 wrote: »
    €500 in Dublin for call out.

Call out is over €700 in Mayo and is €7.50 per minute in Louth apparently. Although to be fair most insurance policies cover the charge.

Advertisement